Bought a used Gen II last month

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnc1go

Reaction score
This is my second Vmax, the first was a 2004. I think Yamaha was very careful with this new bike to fix nearly everything that people complained about on the Gen I. The Gen II has tons of power up and down the RPM range, so much that I have not yet opened up the throttle completely in the first two gears.

I do miss a couple things about the Gen I though. For all it's shortcomings when compared to the new one, it has one thing the Gen II lacks.....character. Since the new bike does not have carburetors, it does not have V-Boost nor does it produce the anticipation of it kicking in at 6 grand on the tack. But I think what I miss most about the Gen I is that legendary rough idle, especially through a set of Marks Exhaust. That sound was guaranteed to turn the head of even the most hardcore gear head sitting at a stoplight.

I'm not complaining as I'm happy that I can afford to own such a fine machine as a Gen II Vmax. I love my new bike and it gets plenty of looks as well, especially from the crotch rocket riders.

Attachments

• DSCF0011.jpg
    DSCF0011.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF0014.jpg
    DSCF0014.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 70
Hi John-
Thanks for the post..I hope too be in a financial situation to purchase a 2015 model.. I figure that I'll save my monkey some food and set that goal for me.. Are their differences between Gen II's since they came out in 09?? I'll have some other questions..cheers man, beauty ride..

I was up in the air the other day. Thoughts of selling everything and buying a Gen II and a 392 HEMI Dodge Challenger. Then I got to thinking about how fat the Gen II feels and the gas the Hemi will eat. I may sell off some stuff and buy a really BIG GUN instead. :th_biggun:I Love the Gen II but at 61 it's hard to justify.:confused2::rofl_200:

This is my second Vmax, the first was a 2004. I think Yamaha was very careful with this new bike to fix nearly everything that people complained about on the Gen I. The Gen II has tons of power up and down the RPM range, so much that I have not yet opened up the throttle completely in the first two gears.

I do miss a couple things about the Gen I though. For all it's shortcomings when compared to the new one, it has one thing the Gen II lacks.....character. Since the new bike does not have carburetors, it does not have V-Boost nor does it produce the anticipation of it kicking in at 6 grand on the tack. But I think what I miss most about the Gen I is that legendary rough idle, especially through a set of Marks Exhaust. That sound was guaranteed to turn the head of even the most hardcore gear head sitting at a stoplight.

I'm not complaining as I'm happy that I can afford to own such a fine machine as a Gen II Vmax. I love my new bike and it gets plenty of looks as well, especially from the crotch rocket riders.

Hey John, congrats on the Gen2. I've had my 2010 for 1.5 yrs now after riding a 06 Gen1 for 5 yrs.

If you want that great Mark's Performance Exhaust sound for your Gen2 like you had on your Gen1, he has a mid-pipe collector for like $350 that replaces the CAT converter and retains the stock mufflers. I and several other have this set-up and the sound is GREAT ! A nice deep rumble, not too obnoxious loud, that barks to get everyones attention around you when you get on it !

If you go with this Marks mid-pipe collector, strongly recommend that you also get your ECU re-tuned by Tim Nash to go with the new mid-pipe collector so you get the proper air / fuel conditions for all RPMs. The ECU reflash / retune costs about $650. The HP performance gains with this is a big + too !

If you want to see / hear in person what this sounds like, we can arrange a ride with some of the other Mi Hooligans to meet up down state for a ride. Or Scott - who has the same Mark's set-up as I, lives a little closer to you in Battle Creek.

Enjoy the Gen2.... I sure am !!

I was up in the air the other day. Thoughts of selling everything and buying a Gen II and a 392 HEMI Dodge Challenger. Then I got to thinking about how fat the Gen II feels and the gas the Hemi will eat. I may sell off some stuff and buy a really BIG GUN instead. :th_biggun:I Love the Gen II but at 61 it's hard to justify.:confused2::rofl_200:
Well don't let 61 stop you. I have a Dodge Challenger SRT8 that I have a cammed forged and supercharged engine in. I bought my Gen II from a 70 year old. (He said it was to powerful for him) I have since done the NASH flash and changed the exhaust. The Gen II now has a nice roller cam Big Block Chevy sound. It also has a YCC1 that lengthens the intake runners above 6500 to give a Vboost feel. I see my shift light at 10,000 a lot. First through third gear shifts are a real rush.

My car is a low 11 second beast weighing a fat 4240. This bike just puts that to shame with a flick of the wrist.

To Johnc1go, go ahead and fine a nice straight road and let her rip. You'll feel the pull passed 6500!!

Good for your John, nice looking Gen2! I think you'll find that Mark of Mark's performance exhaust has a "collector mid pipe" cat replacement and it sounds very good with the stock cans. Mark's website: http://marksperformance.com/vmax.html
Check out this thread on Star Vmax: http://www.starvmax.com/forum/13-technical-vmax-discussion/184429-marks-performance-exhaust
Jeff, aka Kosrider (post #3 on SVM thread) is also on here and I'm sure he can give you a bunch more info on the subject than I can.

EDIT: Jeff beat me to the punch!

Congrats on the new version acquisition.
I don't think Yamaha went into the Gen 2 with "fixing" issues with a Gen 1 more so than having to compete and grab market share from all the new tech bikes from all the other manufacturers. I paid less than 5k for my 86 out the door new.
An 09 at close to 20k out the door in 09? No thanks.
There were some of the styling cues such as the scoops and V four layout brought over but I think that's were the similarities end. Those were a concession to be able to call it a Vmax and feed off the lore of 22 years of previous sales.
The Gen 2 is sport tourer with a race horse heart that tries to appease a wider audience.
The Gen 1 was a back alley bruiser with an attitude and apologized for nothing.

Congrats John , I've had mine for about twenty months now and have 10000 miles on it. It's still stock . As for vboost just think of it being on all the time. You will find the bike pulls very well once you get used to it , the bike is Capable of 200 ft second gear burnouts if that's your thing. Have fun and drive safe !
And no matter what you hear , the red ones are the fastest ones !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 28
I was really surprised how the 09 I rode felt(ergos wise) like my 07. But that's where it ended.

Power everywhere, anytime, any gear, any RPM. AMAZING! When I find one for $10000 I will be an owner.

Until then, I think I'm buying the new FZ09.

Of all the 2nd Gen colors, the red is the only one I like. However, with only 3 pieces and they are easily removed, it is easy to get repainted.

Congrats on the new version acquisition.
I don't think Yamaha went into the Gen 2 with "fixing" issues with a Gen 1 more so than having to compete and grab market share from all the new tech bikes from all the other manufacturers. I paid less than 5k for my 86 out the door new.
An 09 at close to 20k out the door in 09? No thanks.
There were some of the styling cues such as the scoops and V four layout brought over but I think that's were the similarities end. Those were a concession to be able to call it a Vmax and feed off the lore of 22 years of previous sales.
The Gen 2 is sport tourer with a race horse heart that tries to appease a wider audience.
The Gen 1 was a back alley bruiser with an attitude and apologized for nothing.

No offense.....but you have no idea.....and I've owned 3 Gen 1's and still love them.

The Gen 2 is in a class by itself even more than the Gen 1 was when it was introduced. It's more refined because it's a modern bike but it still has the attitude, and the performance to back ir up.

I've rode 2 gen 2's and the power is impressive for sure... Now the things I don't like, at low speeds you really feel its extra weight.. The range sucks, most anyone I know with one can only go about 90 miles and they had better be looking for gas. The styling, it kinda looks like an overgrown scooter (an insanely cool one though) and its just not as an attractive bike as the gen 1's in my opinion. The price, unless your out to buy a Vmax and nothing else will do then your not gonna buy one new, too many other bikes that do things better for less money. Don't get me wrong though, the gen 2's are amazing machines for sure but your damn sure gonna pay for it.. I'd still like to have one someday but not until the prices come way way down, I'm having way too much fun on my 94 anyway :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I've rode 2 gen 2's and the power is impressive for sure... Now the things I don't like, at low speeds you really feel its extra weight.. The range sucks, most anyone I know with one can only go about 90 miles and they had better be looking for gas. The styling, it kinda looks like an overgrown scooter (an insanely cool one though) and its just not as an attractive bike as the gen 1's in my opinion. The price, unless your out to buy a Vmax and nothing else will do then your not gonna buy one new, too many other bikes that do things better for less money. Don't get me wrong though, the gen 2's are amazing machines for sure but your damn sure gonna pay for it.. I'd still like to have one someday but not until the prices come way way down, I'm having way too much fun on my 94 anyway :)

It's OK for you guys to say you can't afford one. ;)

I paid $16,500 out the door and it was the best thing I've ever bought in my life. Wouldn't trade it for any of the bikes that supposedly "do things better" There is no comparable bike IMO.

Congrats on the bike.
I've heard some with Brock's exhaust that sounded every bit of what we expect from a Gen I

The Gen II I rode was out-fucking-rageous. Insane power everywhere.

It may be suited for sport touring duty but sport tourer it is not.....especially with that tiny tank and giant motor.

It is very well mannered and doesn't "feel" as brutish and visceral as the Gen I, a draw back to some..

As far as heavy?
I was surprised how light it felt consisted to what I knew it weighed.

Looks?
Love it, still think a Gen I looks better, but that's on it cause I can't afford a GEN II. haha....

Nice gen-2 vmax, I'm looking at a used 1 to, if the guy come down off his price some. 2011 with 2356 miles on it. $16000 for the bike. But he may trade it for my 944 turbo plus mods, lots of engine work and 968 6 speed trans. The guy selling the vmax came over today and look at the car. I let him take for a test ride he almost piss in his paints on how strong the car pulls. Then we switch driving and I took him on long back open road showed him what the car really can do, car I took it up to 145 miles in 4th gear. And on take off hit rubber 1st 2nd 3rd gear - I think he's hook... He has corvette ZL1 and 944 was much stronger. He told me give him a few days. He really was looking for cash for the bike, He said he like the car a lot.

My wife is ok with letting the car go she is afraid to drive it. But man I can't sale her on $16000 for the vmax

Here's pic my car, I will miss it though. If the guy makes the trade.

Attachments

• 944 2.jpg
    944 2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 944 1.jpg
    944 1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 944.jpg
    944.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 26
Nice gen-2 vmax, I'm looking at a used 1 to, if the guy come down off his price some. 2011 with 2356 miles on it. $16000 for the bike. But he may trade it for my 944 turbo plus mods, lots of engine work and 968 6 speed trans. The guy selling the vmax came over today and look at the car. I let him take for a test ride he almost piss in his paints on how strong the car pulls. Then we switch driving and I took him on long back open road showed him what the car really can do, car I took it up to 145 miles in 4th gear. And on take off hit rubber 1st 2nd 3rd gear - I think he's hook... He has corvette ZL1 and 944 was much stronger. He told me give him a few days. He really was looking for cash for the bike, He said he like the car a lot.

My wife is ok with letting the car go she is afraid to drive it. But man I can't sale her on $16000 for the vmax

Here's pic my car, I will miss it though. If the guy makes the trade.

Will she prefer riding the Gen2 instead, lol!!

It's OK for you guys to say you can't afford one. ;)

I paid $16,500 out the door and it was the best thing I've ever bought in my life. Wouldn't trade it for any of the bikes that supposedly "do things better" There is no comparable bike IMO.

It was a good decision for you then because you could afford it and its exactly what you wanted :) I'm not ashamed at all to say I can't afford one, I have other bills to pay... I'm pretty happy with my 94 overall, its not the fastest thing out there but then again neither is the gen 2 ;) As long as your bike puts a smile on your face then its the right bike for you..

Too many guys buy the gen II as a status symbol , and NEVER ride it to its full potential . I busted my ass to afford mine and I RIDE IT!

Latest posts

Back