Bought a vmax all ive had is trouble help

Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

MileHayabusa

Reaction score
And a post on an Acura RSX forum is now taken as the 'de facto' standard for what 600s will run in the 1/4? I'm guessing there are dozens of other places that have more accurate 1/4 miles times for 600s than a dozen RSX guys spew out in a post.

I might try here: Sportbike Performance Figures

Reaction score
I wouldn't know where to begin, pal. It sounds like you bought a bike that has been rode hard and put up wet. The rounded off screws are a really bad sign. It tends to make me think somebody has been messing with them a whole lot that had no idea what they were doing.

First thing I would do is hook up some vacuum gauges to sync the carbs and see what's going on. Make sure each carb is at least pulling its own weight. That will tell you a lot about what is going on.

Mixture is one thing. Actual flow is another thing entirely.

I would start there: sync the carbs first and see what's going on.
Late to the thread I know. You mention fuel mixture... I bought an 07 couple months back. The 1st time I went out to see it I purposely didn't bring a trailer so that my emotions for the bike could over run logic. I had a good friend with me not just any friend a 70 year old HD guy who is not a Yuppy weekend guy. When we left he mentioned the bike running Rich it was a little but it was in an out building with door open, and she has Widow maker exhaust I know the Vmax much better then he does but he knows wisdom too lol. The bike is snappy responsive idle right at 1,000 clean holds idle very well. Am I right to just chalk it up as a characteristic of the bike compounded by the fact that she was sitting for over a month. The fuel smell has subsided totally I guess I could say. Could that rich burn be an early sign to get ahead of or sense she is
Cookin & Bookin when asked just let her Carbs be?

sdt354

Reaction score
Hi all i bought a 1990 vmax and found it not as said fast so put new fuel in and much better but i checked the carb mixture screws and they are all over the place so i set the left side to two n half turns out moves to right side and the screws are rounded so i cant move them
How can i get em out please
The bike runs ok just not what i was expecting in turns of power
v boost does its cycle on start up
THEY AREN'T SET equal turns out from seated, from the factory. They set them up with a CO meter at Yamaha. They could be anywhere. Most of us run 2 1/2 to 3 turns out.

Latest posts