Bought an APEX APX12220 Battery Last Dec.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
It went bad about 2 weeks ago wouldn't start the bike which gets run every week. Won't charge over 12.06 volts and won't start the bike even right after charging. Contacted APEX this Monday 9/19 2016. Talked with Mike the Sales Manager. He E-Mailed me a questionnaire that I filled out right then and sent back. So far so good. Awaiting and RMA to send my battery back. He told me that he'd send a new battery out when that's accomplished.

This is my first APEX Battery and thee first dealing with their Warranty but I'll keep you posted.

Nine months, please see the title of the thread. :hmmm:

Not that long, it should be warrantied, I would think. I had a problem w/a Ballistic battery in the first year, and they did replace it. Not from lack of holding a charge, but because of a failed metal casting for a battery terminal.

Nine months, please see the title of the thread. :hmmm:

Not that long, it should be warrantied, I would think. I had a problem w/a Ballistic battery in the first year, and they did replace it. Not from lack of holding a charge, but because of a failed metal casting for a battery terminal.

Blame Tapatalk for that one. It truncated the title. Thanks

I ordered the same battery a couple days ago and it came today. I opened the box and some of the foam peanuts had deteriorated to an amber goo and there was some sort of liquid residue in the bottom of the box (which looked like it had seen some rough treatment in transit). Almost has to be an acid leak I would think.....ey? :confused2:

Looks like I'll be talking with Mike the Sales Manager also.

I know that Steve had gotten an Apex several months back, and he didnt like his.

The quality seems to have gone down hill over the last year or so.

Yeah, my thoughts too. Odyssey pc680 was on sale last week for $106. Buddy just replaced his after 14 years. I normally get 8-10 years out of them.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Nice! The PC545 will work too for those that care about space.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I left the battery on it's side overnight and no sign of weepage but there was clearly some leaking that went on inside the box.

BTW it has a charge of 12.50 V

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 20
PM'd Danny. Not sounding too good on the quality.:confused2:

Think the issue with mine is more a shipping problem than a product quality one....it looked to me like the box had busted open (the instruction info was missing) and everything just jammed back in and re-taped.

Also, the UPS driver left the box out in our rural box rather than bring it to the house, probly avoiding the hassle of a refused shipment cuz it was pretty obvious it hadn't had an easy journey.

So far Apex appears to be easy enough to deal with....we'll see.

I'm surprised at the quality issues people are having with this battery, my APx12220 is about 2 years old now and still has 13.2 to 13.4 V every time I check it.

i used to endorse the USB battery. I had one for quite a while in my 89. It's still doing service in my gas powered welder. After 5 years I decided to buy new and was told by Apex that the new green one was a replacement for the USB. My first one had little capacity to crank the bike. They sent another one out under warranty and it was just as bad. Dead after overnight storage. My wiring and 4 brush starter are good. Christian had the same experience. After replacing my starter clutch thanks to the lousy new battery I went for a Shorai battery. It was pricey, but worth every dollar. $144 at Amazon on sale. Even at the normal $200 I'd buy another. It's rated at 270 cca, but that's misleading, because the starter will never draw that. This battery will crank for a while if there's an issue. It's small and light. It sheds 10lbs from the bike after install. 13.3 volts out of the box.
Steve

i used to endorse the USB battery. I had one for quite a while in my 89. It's still doing service in my gas powered welder. After 5 years I decided to buy new and was told by Apex that the new green one was a replacement for the USB. My first one had little capacity to crank the bike. They sent another one out under warranty and it was just as bad. Dead after overnight storage. My wiring and 4 brush starter are good. Christian had the same experience. After replacing my starter clutch thanks to the lousy new battery I went for a Shorai battery. It was pricey, but worth every dollar. $144 at Amazon on sale. Even at the normal $200 I'd buy another. It's rated at 270 cca, but that's misleading, because the starter will never draw that. This battery will crank for a while if there's an issue. It's small and light. It sheds 10lbs from the bike after install. 13.3 volts out of the box.
Steve

Hell of a battery the Shorai is and light's a feather! The box came in the mail, picked it up and thought...."oh shit, they forgot to put the battery inside!" It worked great in the Gen II! :punk:

The 1260 had a PC680 in it and that, of course, worked flawlessly for the 3 years I had it. They're both excellent batteries.

The Apex is going in the '96 carb test mule so it won't leave me out on the road somewhere even if it does shit the bed.

I'm replacing a PC680 after 9 years. It always held over 13 volts and still does, just wouldn't start the bike. Using it to charge RC
Car batteries. I've heard That Odyssey's quality has gone down over the past couple years though. China is killing us.

APEX was so inexpensive compared thought I'd try one. Only charged to 12.56 volts to start with. 9 months compared to 9 years
hasn't impressed me though. We'll see what and how long it takes APEX to do the right thing.

I'm anal about running the bikes up to operating temperature at least once a week, year round.
Found that my Harbor Freight Jumper Battery will safely connect and atleast let me run the 94
Which I did today. Just have to get the choke off and hold the RPM at about 3,000. I've got other bikes I can ride so all is well for now.

Back