Bought Vmax without V-boost

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eckhoff

Reaction score
I bought a 86 Vmax and have restored a lot of the bike. The V-boost was removed when I bought it. I didn't know a lot about these bikes so I didn't think much of it.
The bike didn't really idle well, but ran good when giving throttle. The original air box and filters was still used.

My question is, what should I do. I want to have a bike that can idle and run more smooth, not just on/off when it comes to power. What are my options here? I don't have the old V-boost to this bike.

Seems like it's impossible to sync the carbs also.

Try Sean Morley [email protected] of Morley's Muscle (banner ad on website) for the parts you need, it's not gonna be cheao wherever you get the parts. Do you have the motor for the VBoost, and the cable still-on the bike? There are electrical parts too. Look under the left scoop, is there a round disconnect male/female plug? That's part of it.

Is the manifold assembly there, just not with the VBoost butterflies installed? In their place would be a pair of tubes. Do you have a rubber hose going into the oil fill plug for the engine/transmission? It should run from the airbox area, and is a breather for the crankcase venting system. That would suggest you have a Dynojet Stage 7 jet kit but that the OEM airbox was retained. Are there individual pod filters in the airbox, or is it the stock OEM long oval air filter?

You won't be able to properly synch the carbs because you need to be able to isolate each carb from each other to set it. Either look here for the manufacturer's instruction sheet for the Stage 7 Dynojet kit, or look at their website and compare what you have to the sheet.
http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/4716.pdf Note the sheet says, "USA models only." I think the Japanese version of the VMax eliminated VBoost.

I don't have to motor for the VBoost, the round plug under the left scoop is not there.

The manifold assembly is there, but like you said it's a pair of tubes between them. There are no rubber hose from the oil fill plug, just the regular cap. Stock OEM long oval air filter yes.

The bike is a US model, imported from Florida in the 90s.

I will have all the parts you need. The round connectors are on the black control box and servo motor both of which are removable.

Is it strange that I have one of the Dynojet kits but still has the original air filter?

And is there a way to figure out what kind of Stage the kit is? I guess the carb tuning is different for the different kits?

I am still not sure if I want to buy the Vboost system or just try to make the best of what I have right now.

The attached shows the different needles.

If memory serves well the top is OE, then S1 and then S7.

I'm sure if I have that wrong some kind person will put us right?

Attachments

• Needles.jpg
    Needles.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 18
You are correct Steve. Here's a more comprehensive picture

Attachments

• IMG_20170130_164301041.jpg
    IMG_20170130_164301041.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 21
  • OEM & Y299 needles 002.jpg
    OEM & Y299 needles 002.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Stock Adjustable 5DZ19 Needls.jpg
    Stock Adjustable 5DZ19 Needls.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Jet Comparison.jpg
    Jet Comparison.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 20
So I finally had some time to start working on this again, and I need to find a solution.

It doesn’t seem to be a Dynojet kit on this bike like I thought. The needles and the jets are all original. The jets are 170 and 90 so also original. It looks like the slides have been drilled, the hole is 3,5 mm. And as you can see on one of the pictures, it looks like the air cut off valves for some reason have been plugged with sealing.

So I’m not sure what would be the best solution here. Maybe buy the Vboost system but that’s a bit expensive. Other alternatives?

Attachments

• F5774119-077F-404B-805E-B50559A35893.jpeg
    F5774119-077F-404B-805E-B50559A35893.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 4E780B8F-CE0A-4B16-BAF4-6A9B36F39199.jpeg
    4E780B8F-CE0A-4B16-BAF4-6A9B36F39199.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 6DF7318C-34B6-493B-A902-C8F7BE95BC18.jpeg
    6DF7318C-34B6-493B-A902-C8F7BE95BC18.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 18
Back