Bracing the frame behind the engine?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREEN light BLITZ

Reaction score
Alrighty guys it has been s long project getting my bike back together due to some madness at home but were almost there! Just a few more costly parts to replace and it will be ready to rock...

My question here is I've done most of the Vmax handling mods to make the Chimera a canyon killer.(torque bars,solid mounts,swing arm bracing, racetech suspension,steering dampener,clip-ons,rearsets,so on and so forth)still need radials though

And I wanna know if bracing the "box" frame betwen the motor and the gas tank is worth the crawling on the ground and metal cutting of welding in braces?
I know every little but matters but was thus spot really as weak as some of the others in our frame and will there be a noticeable difference?

Just figured I would ask because I'm starring into most likely my only chance to do it before the motor goes in and I don't wanna regret not doing it later.

My plan was gussets, but it just seems as previously stated,"useless". It's a frame section that makes a rectangle, in theory it should be one of the bikes strongest points?

Still curious of other opinions, thanks guys keep em comin!

I've seen the Saarloos bike, it's a fantastic bike with alot of innovative ideas put into it. I was actually using his as a reference for this project. But doing it's not hard, I'm more concerned with will I get anything in return for it or just more metal strewn about in an already heavy bike?

My plan was gussets, but it just seems as previously stated,"useless". It's a frame section that makes a rectangle, in theory it should be one of the bikes strongest points?

Still curious of other opinions, thanks guys keep em comin!

This is already the strongest part of the frame - if you want to reinforce the frame then its not the right spot.
Solid mounts already converts v-max frame good as much it could be.

This is already the strongest part of the frame - if you want to reinforce the frame then its not the right spot.
Solid mounts already converts v-max frame good as much it could be.

I agree, I came to the same conclusion. Anyone have an opinion on the matter before I close the book on this?

Saying it's the strongest doesn't mean it couldn't be stronger. My take on things like this is, if you have it apart, you have the steel and the welder. Will it hurt to add them?

The only thing that worries me about gusseting here and there is whether I am transferring a load to a weaker area by bracing. But, I am not knowledgeable in the least about this.

I did it on my 96 max when I had the engine out - to say that it made a huge difference would be a lie, but it didn't hurt it at all either. The theory as to why to gusset that area makes sense. Because of the shaft drive, the max only has pins holding the swingarm on and the frame. Torque loads will cause distortion in that area.

I would say to do it while you can, as this in combo with all the other mods that you have done to strengthen the chassis, should provide you with a net benefit.

Mike

I'll be "standing around with my dick in my hand today" till my buddy gets off work to come help me with the motor anyways. May as well weld it up I suppose.

I had not considered the torque put into that area by the swing arm. I only thought about the force of a sweeping turn...however with my newly braced to Hell swingarm I'll be putting make torque in this area.

One mod, a canyon killer does not it make, but the sum of these mods produces result.

4gasem said:
Saying it's the strongest doesn't mean it couldn't be stronger. My take on things like this is, if you have it apart, you have the steel and the welder. Will it hurt to add them?
Yes Chris, of course.
But, this way you can weld some train rail as a frame brace for example...will it hurt?

There are really many many mods you can do to your v-max - how much of them you really need?

The only thing that worries me about gusseting here and there is whether I am transferring a load to a weaker area by bracing.

I did mime some seven years ago and so far nowt has broken.

Perhaps we need someone to measure the torsional rigidity to settle this.....any volunteers?

Yes Chris, of course.
But, this way you can weld some train rail as a frame brace for example...will it hurt?

There are really many many mods you can do to your v-max - how much of them you really need?

Your analogy is flawed. The benefit doesn't outweigh the negative effect of the train rails weight.

Thanks for playing...

never saw that page, thanks guys!
Me too! An interesting set of mods, they seem to be carefully crafted. I don't have the knowledge nor the skills to approach something like that. Nor would I want to foot the bill paying someone to do them for me! But, I am always content to see the innovative work of others. Thanks for posting the link.

This analogy comes from construction engineer. Im also saying that frame braces are waste of money.

Have you ever done any of those ?

I some what agree that bracing the frame in the area in question probably isn't particularly beneficial.

On the other hand I have to completely disagree on frame braces most often used on the Vmax are anything but hugely benficial....putting them on my bike made a large and immediately noticeable improvement on an already "as good as it could be" bike...The only thing I'd rate more helpful than frame braces is solid mounts, a braced swingarm and frame braces in a total package, the swingarm being the most imporatant.

Back