Braided Brake Lines

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintard

Reaction score
How many of you have experience with braided brake and clutch lines? I really dont like the feel of the clutch on my max. Way to spongey and i just cant get that "feel" that im looking for.

Is there a cheaper route than going with galfer or whatever? Ive been thinking about upgrading for some time now but the price just seems way too much.

Does it make THAT big of a difference or is it more for looks?

Thanks

I bought mine for piece of mind but they were 88's.I started thinking about a front line blowing when I really needed it.I bought a galfer kit with all the brakes and clutch line.I think it was $200.

There has been talk on the subject of braided brake lines before... your looking at over 1000psi in those lines and perhaps your life ! How hard do you ride ? Weekender or hardcore.

Ever hear of the expression " Your money or your life " well it doesn't always refer to being robbed. However, it is not a required mod to make your bike safe. You can just replace them with stock lines. But if you got the cash and if all your wanting is a better feel and look, than go for it because almost everyone says you get allot better feel with them and the added bonus is they are safer at the same time. 02 cents

As far as the clutch goes, you should notice a difference I would imagine, maybe just try replacing the fluid first . I personally would be more worried about the brake feel than the clutch.

I know it's hard to decide whether or not to shell out the money ! What the hell, it's only money right. Just ask yourself ; are you and your bike worth it ?

I did the front brakes and clutch on mine last year and wish that I did the back break too. I used the Galfer lines, but there are cheaper ones out there for half the price. I doubt that the quality is much different, but I don't know. It was easy to replace and looks good. The feel is a little better, but I really didn't have a problem before. The rear wheel is still a little spongy, but I locked it up in a panic stop the other day, so it's OK. I still wish I'd sprung for the $50.00. I changed all the pads cleaned up everything and changed out the fluids (of course). I had some trouble with the connection where the clutch cable bolted to the skinny line near the slave cylinder. The open end wrench wanted to round off the small, soft nut, the one towards the front of the bike. I bought the type of open end wrench that holds on five sides of the nut and seems to touch in the middle of the flat sides, not on the points of the nut. Glad I did it.

Steve

Ive decided im going to save up a little money and do some mods all at once when i get the cash. Just starting to travel for my job again so depending on the weather the cash flow should start coming in.

Im planning on:

progressive 412 rear shocks, black
Racetech springs/emulators
Braided lines all around

and im having a hell of a time deciding on me880's or going with avons, still in debate.

someday marks exhaust too, but thatll be a while lol!

Does anyone know where to get a complete set of braided lines cheaper than the galfer's? I remember reading somewhere but ive searched and searched and cannot find a cheaper route.

By the way, just have to ask

A while back i remember seeing a video of a tall guy with a 98 vmax that had marks exhaust.

He had the turndown things chopped off and it was sitting in a shop if i remember correctly. He said he cut them off himself and also had a set with them still on. The pipes were black. He talked about hurting his back or something and wasnt able to ride just yet. Its been a long time, i had the video bookmarked but accidently deleted it.

I have looked for the life of me but cannot find that video anywhere, maybe one of you will know?? If not no biggy figured id ask

Back