brake calipers upgrade

Discussion in 'Brakes' started by Stigmata, Jun 3, 2019.

Help Support VMAX Motorcycle Forum by donating:

1. Jun 3, 2019 #1

Stigmata

Stigmata

Stigmata

Has anyone used the 4 piston Harrison brake calipers for the early 85-92 V max, front and back? Just wondering the difference compared to oem stock. I'm interested in the Harrison because you can use the stock rotors and brackets.

Thanks

2. Jun 3, 2019 #2

mabdcmb@yahoo.com

mabdcmb@yahoo.com

mabdcmb@yahoo.com

Never heard of them.
    I can't imagine it would be a huge upgrade if you're still using the old style rotors.
    Don't discount the fact that installing larger diameter rotors makes a huge difference in your stopping ability.

Look for some old 93-07 vmax rotors, or aftermarket rotors, Gen1 busa calipers, and buy some caliper adapters from Sean Morley.

I don't see a need to upgrade the rear. OEM works fine. I did sby adding a R1 caliper and the front rotor from '06 vmax. It works great but was a waste of money. Looks pretty cool though.

3. Jun 3, 2019 #3

Stigmata

Stigmata

Stigmata

They are a company out of the UK called Harrison Billet. Check them out. Their expensive, but brand new. I'm using EBC drilled rotors and Galfer stainless lines. The weak link is that single piston caliper. I found that out at the drag strip years ago. That would be my next direction to talk to Sean. Thanks for the input.

4. Jun 3, 2019 #4

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

Whereabouts are you in The Sunshine State?

I think Harrisons are a waste of time & $$$. If you want them for looks, or you just want something $$$, well, there you are with a lighter pocketbook. Will it work better, being multiple opposed pistons? Yes, probably. What is the intended use? You're better-off installing the R1 Gold Dot calipers on a 1993-2007 VMax front end (bolt-on fit) and running HH pads, and SS lines, your stock master cylinders are OK. You can probably do that for < the cost of a set of three Harrison calipers. Run cartridge emulators in the '93-'07 forks, with Race-Tech springs for your ready to ride weight, and as far as that goes, you should notice a big difference over the stock front end & brakes of the -to 1992 models. Our bikes do generate a lot of front end weight transfer on hard braking, so the rear end isn't much of a factor in braking under those circumstances.

If you're relying primarily on a rear brake for braking, you're not using your front brakes efficiently, for maximum effectiveness under hard braking. Really-long wheelbase bikes like the H-D's where they have a lot of weight all-along the length of the bike are where a rear brake does some work. Shorter-wheelbase bikes which are lighter get maximum use out of the front brakes because they can 'carry' the rear wheel off the ground, there is so-much weight transfer. I believe you probably have experienced that, if you've ridden sportbikes since you've got some strip time in.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  5. Jun 3, 2019 #5

one2dmax

one2dmax

one2dmax

Of course we have multiple options for brake upgrades

6. Jun 15, 2019 #6

Stigmata

Stigmata

Stigmata

I'm in Winter Haven, thanks for the advice.

7. Jun 15, 2019 #7

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

Sean Morley has a lot of choices and he is willing to be available to help you if you go with his pieces. Even if you don't buy from him he will courteously answer questions, but he can supply you with bolt-ons which will make your bike brake better.

The Yamaha 4-piston blue dot and gold dot calipers are bolt-ons for the front of a 1993-2007 VMax, and the rotors are the size you need already. They were used on early R1 and R6 bikes, the gold dot I believe are higher quality components and were the premium calipers. They're compatible with the stock VMax front master cylinder.

ajh1155 likes this.