brake calipers upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmata

Reaction score
Has anyone used the 4 piston Harrison brake calipers for the early 85-92 V max, front and back? Just wondering the difference compared to oem stock. I'm interested in the Harrison because you can use the stock rotors and brackets.

Thanks

Never heard of them.
I can't imagine it would be a huge upgrade if you're still using the old style rotors.
Don't discount the fact that installing larger diameter rotors makes a huge difference in your stopping ability.

Look for some old 93-07 vmax rotors, or aftermarket rotors, Gen1 busa calipers, and buy some caliper adapters from Sean Morley.

I don't see a need to upgrade the rear. OEM works fine. I did sby adding a R1 caliper and the front rotor from '06 vmax. It works great but was a waste of money. Looks pretty cool though.

Never heard of them.
I can't imagine it would be a huge upgrade if you're still using the old style rotors.
Don't discount the fact that installing larger diameter rotors makes a huge difference in your stopping ability.

Look for some old 93-07 vmax rotors, or aftermarket rotors, Gen1 busa calipers, and buy some caliper adapters from Sean Morley.

I don't see a need to upgrade the rear. OEM works fine. I did sby adding a R1 caliper and the front rotor from '06 vmax. It works great but was a waste of money. Looks pretty cool though.
They are a company out of the UK called Harrison Billet. Check them out. Their expensive, but brand new. I'm using EBC drilled rotors and Galfer stainless lines. The weak link is that single piston caliper. I found that out at the drag strip years ago. That would be my next direction to talk to Sean. Thanks for the input.

Whereabouts are you in The Sunshine State?

I think Harrisons are a waste of time & $$$. If you want them for looks, or you just want something $$$, well, there you are with a lighter pocketbook. Will it work better, being multiple opposed pistons? Yes, probably. What is the intended use? You're better-off installing the R1 Gold Dot calipers on a 1993-2007 VMax front end (bolt-on fit) and running HH pads, and SS lines, your stock master cylinders are OK. You can probably do that for < the cost of a set of three Harrison calipers. Run cartridge emulators in the '93-'07 forks, with Race-Tech springs for your ready to ride weight, and as far as that goes, you should notice a big difference over the stock front end & brakes of the -to 1992 models. Our bikes do generate a lot of front end weight transfer on hard braking, so the rear end isn't much of a factor in braking under those circumstances.

If you're relying primarily on a rear brake for braking, you're not using your front brakes efficiently, for maximum effectiveness under hard braking. Really-long wheelbase bikes like the H-D's where they have a lot of weight all-along the length of the bike are where a rear brake does some work. Shorter-wheelbase bikes which are lighter get maximum use out of the front brakes because they can 'carry' the rear wheel off the ground, there is so-much weight transfer. I believe you probably have experienced that, if you've ridden sportbikes since you've got some strip time in.

Last edited:
Sean Morley has a lot of choices and he is willing to be available to help you if you go with his pieces. Even if you don't buy from him he will courteously answer questions, but he can supply you with bolt-ons which will make your bike brake better.

The Yamaha 4-piston blue dot and gold dot calipers are bolt-ons for the front of a 1993-2007 VMax, and the rotors are the size you need already. They were used on early R1 and R6 bikes, the gold dot I believe are higher quality components and were the premium calipers. They're compatible with the stock VMax front master cylinder.

Sean Morley has a lot of choices and he is willing to be available to help you if you go with his pieces. Even if you don't buy from him he will courteously answer questions, but he can supply you with bolt-ons which will make your bike brake better.

The Yamaha 4-piston blue dot and gold dot calipers are bolt-ons for the front of a 1993-2007 VMax, and the rotors are the size you need already. They were used on early R1 and R6 bikes, the gold dot I believe are higher quality components and were the premium calipers. They're compatible with the stock VMax front master cylinder.
what about for a 1990...??

I can not find any info for them..

Ask Sean Morley about his Tokico single caliper disc combo for the early 1985-'89 front ends. [email protected]

Early front brakes are 282 mm rotors and single opposed piston calipers (2 pistons/caliper). Downtubes are 40mm I.D. of the triple trees.

Late model 1990-'07 are 298 mm rotors and two pairs of opposed pistons (4 pistons/caliper) and the downtubes are 43 mm, so the I.D. of the triple trees is also 43 mm.

Ask Sean Morley about his Tokico single caliper disc combo for the early 1985-'89 front ends. [email protected]

Early front brakes are 282 mm rotors and single opposed piston calipers (2 pistons/caliper). Downtubes are 40mm I.D. of the triple trees.

Late model 1990-'07 are 298 mm rotors and two pairs of opposed pistons (4 pistons/caliper) and the downtubes are 43 mm, so the I.D. of the triple trees is also 43 mm.
i Guess I Screw the Putch, I got older Buza Tokicos and for the rotors i just call Sandro at Galfer, he is a great dude, only but from him....

The minute i get more money those Spagettis are Gone, After Riding 50mm Right side up WP MAgnums at the dakar on the 660 nothing is a rigid..

I figure something out, What can I say i like to do Stoppies

Has anyone used the 4 piston Harrison brake calipers for the early 85-92 V max, front and back? Just wondering the difference compared to oem stock. I'm interested in the Harrison because you can use the stock rotors and brackets.

Thanks
Oh the Noise....

Plus you need to rotate sides and fore and aft so the parts wear evenly, but they do work

"Fire Medic" Helo Pilot, Vernier junky, you know you Sh*t really well , Thank you..

I used to but i suffer a very bad accident and stop riding for 8 years so far

"Fire Medic" Helo Pilot, Vernier junky, you know you Sh*t really well , Thank you..

I used to but i suffer a very bad accident and stop riding for 8 years so far
Get well, and if it's not a good idea to be on a bike now, wait until you can ride safely.

Questions, ask-away, someone on here is probably going to be able to give you correct data.

Sometimes I make mistakes, and another member will correct it. We're all sharing our love of a particular mechanical transportation device and how to maintain its operability, and keep its 'Jesus nut' torqued properly.

Get well, and if it's not a good idea to be on a bike now, wait until you can ride safely.

Questions, ask-away, someone on here is probably going to be able to give you correct data.

Sometimes I make mistakes, and another member will correct it. We're all sharing our love of a particular mechanical transportation device and how to maintain its operability, and keep its 'Jesus nut' torqued properly.
We play like this with GS for ages, tons of posers but one in a blue moon, we even made a few bikes "from all over the World" (Imput from hundreds, discusiones, Prototype, Beta testing, just like a really Product, and then we race them HARD..

I have 6 spine fusion on two blocks, Woody Wheel works send me the Vmax the day before he dye so i can make a sidecar for my doggies and ride again...

I have 6 piston conversions using busa calipers with 298mm rotors or adapters using them with 320mm rotors to fit the 1985-1992 fork ranges. The 320mm setup is overkill. You will not be able to stoppied a Vmax simply due to the weight bias. Your front tire will skid out well before you are able to leverage the ass end up.

Attachments

• 85-92 298mm Busa Adapters Closeup.jpg
    85-92 298mm Busa Adapters Closeup.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 85-92 320mm Busa Brake Adapter.JPG
    85-92 320mm Busa Brake Adapter.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 3
I have 6 piston conversions using busa calipers with 298mm rotors or adapters using them with 320mm rotors to fit the 1985-1992 fork ranges. The 320mm setup is overkill. You will not be able to stoppied a Vmax simply due to the weight bias. Your front tire will skid out well before you are able to leverage the ass end up.
Thank you, They will here tomorrow I sleep more calm now...
the Stopiie was a Joke, THE GS has such a diferent weight bias and such stiff fork I got good enoght to to 30-40 feet long one even with a passanger (dakar racer stupid tricks you learn, also great to park in san francisco with a "J Turn" J Adams, Skateboard turn..

The Vmax wheel will ruin the Radiator at the first Attempt

Latest posts

Back