Brake fluid Dot 5

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagco1

Reaction score
I found this on amazon.com brake fluid dot 5 price for 32oz is $13.85 the lowest price I could find. Sometimes I have to bleed the brakes and clutch at master cylinder man some link on the scoops through rag and man lift a drip run off like in the paint had to buff it out. So I have been using dot 5 in my cars. So op for some dot 5 to use in the vmax. Works great did spill some came right up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BB1GCI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• P1030866.JPG
    P1030866.JPG
    431 KB · Views: 24
Are you using 5....or 5.1? 5 is silicon, and I BELIEVE it can be used in a Vmax if the lines are COMPLETELY flushed out first to get all traces of 3, 4, or 5.1 out. From what I remember 5 doesnt mix with any of those.

Are you using 5....or 5.1? 5 is silicon, and I BELIEVE it can be used in a Vmax if the lines are COMPLETELY flushed out first to get all traces of 3, 4, or 5.1 out. From what I remember 5 doesnt mix with any of those.

This... I hope you didn't just bleed the new fluid in with the old stuff. You'll get jello pretty soon if you did.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

All old fluid drain out new dot 5 install. Cheapest price I could was on amazon.con.

I went on and order 3 more.

All old fluid drain out new dot 5 install. Cheapest price I could was on amazon.con.

How long have you been running the DOT 5? It might be a better option than the 4 that I'm running now. Ive got a light spot on one of the neck plastic pieces due to spilling a drop.

I tried DOT 5 in one of my sport bikes and hated it. It collects to much moisture and constantly needs to be bled. DOT 4 is just fine even on the track I never taxed it enough to boil. I've never tried 5.1 though.

Everything I have ever read about using Dot 5 says that you need to dismantle the braking system and clean off all traces of the Glycol based fluid to prevent any interaction.
Hopefully you will be OK.........Not something I would do or recommend.

Two main disadvantages with a silicon based fluid is that as stated above the moisture content is not absorbed (about 1% p.a.) so will pool at the lowest point. In our case this will be at the callipers or clutch slave.
The callipers are also the hottest part of the braking system and the much lower B.P. of water makes brake fade far more likely.

Second, it is more difficult for seals to contain silicon based fluids so they are more prone to leaking or allowing air into the system.

Silicon based DOT 5 is not suitable for our braking systems. The o-rings may be affected with this oil. Either go for 5.1 or 4 that both are glycol based. I just know of one brand that uses DOT 5 and that is Hardly Movingson.

Here's some info I found... I no halley bike use it...

I found that the people - that has use it in there bikes are still use it...

Wow I'm not sure what to do now... but it is install in my bike now... I do like the feel of my brakes.

I will keep you posted

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/brake_fluid.html

This came from of the write ups.
If you know what this is, and what it costs at your local parts-house, you will find this is the best deal around! I've used DOT 5 in my old cars and motorcycles for years and the non-moisture-absorbing property of this product saves time and money every year. No rusted wheel cylnders, no rusty master cylnder.....great product!!

In essence the article supports what has been said in previous posts.

The point made about the pooling of the moisture - Quote: 'If this localized moisture accumulation continues unchecked, the pistons and surrounding areas will begin corroding and brake function will be seriously impaired.'

This will be more prevalent in silicon based fluids as the water will pool in localised areas rather than be distributed throughout the system.

There is one statement that I would take issue with: 'The other problem with this continuous exposure to moisture is that moisture makes the brake fluid more compressible.'

Given that the moisture will be present in a liquid form which (to the best of my knowledge) is not compressible means this statement is correct.

An issue will only occur if the brake fluid is heated to above the boiling point of water which will turn to steam and as a gas IS compressible. This will cause the lever to come back to the handlebar and you will loose braking efficiency.

Anyone who has experienced this (I have!) would not want to repeat the exercise.

In essence the article supports what has been said in previous posts.

The point made about the pooling of the moisture - Quote: 'If this localized moisture accumulation continues unchecked, the pistons and surrounding areas will begin corroding and brake function will be seriously impaired.'

This will be more prevalent in silicon based fluids as the water will pool in localised areas rather than be distributed throughout the system.

There is one statement that I would take issue with: 'The other problem with this continuous exposure to moisture is that moisture makes the brake fluid more compressible.'

Given that the moisture will be present in a liquid form which (to the best of my knowledge) is not compressible means this statement is correct.

An issue will only occur if the brake fluid is heated to above the boiling point of water which will turn to steam and as a gas IS compressible. This will cause the lever to come back to the handlebar and you will loose braking efficiency.

Anyone who has experienced this (I have!) would not want to repeat the exercise.

Thinks for all the info.... guy's

I was using dot 4 sometimes i had to bleed them and leak some on the paint. No trying go this again.

Has any here tried using it there vmax. Was there any problems.

I found this on the net to - good info http://www.gabma.us/docs/dot5.pdf

I bleed the brakes and/or clutch fluids on all 5 bikes annually in the spring. I have always used the Dot 3, but the Hondas call for Dot 4. Now when I buy the fluid, I think the can says Dot 3 & 4 on the same can.

I always either cover up the front end before starting the bleeds with LOTS of rags, or I 1st remove the faux cover, then cover everything else with lots of clean rags. If any is spilled, I will wipe well with the rags, then head the bike outside to fire up the garden hose for a wash down.

I have used Valvoline DOT 3/4 Synthetic for years. Harley used DOT 5 for several years but from what I understand they went back to DOT 3/4 because of the problems mentioned. My 1991 Sturgis had DOT 5 if I remember correctly. Had it almost 9 years with no problems but I am anal about maintenance.

When you spill glycol based oil on paint the best thing to have handy is a wet cloth to clean it...

Thanks I had few rags it leak through. But I did clean the system install dot 5....

I maybe going back to dot 4 again.
I learn a lot from you guy's. I need to update my brake lines to breaded lines, I will change back when I order the new lines.

thanks again...

Perhaps a layer of Clingfilm put over the paint followed by a couple of layers of rag should make sure your paint doesn't suffer.

Yes that is a good one too... I normally mummify my bike around the masters just to show the bleeding nipple and reservoir so if some spill it goes to the rags

I been running Dot 5 now for about 10 months no problem with water at the calipers. I check yesterday when bleed them yesterday morning. I stop pass 1 of the local HD dealers they use Dot 5 and talk to the owner about brake fluid.
He said they have not notices any rusted calipers seal blow with regular service on the bikes.

I been running Dot 5 now for about 10 months no problem with water at the calipers. I check yesterday when bleed them yesterday morning. I stop pass 1 of the local HD dealers they use Dot 5 and talk to the owner about brake fluid.
He said they have not notices any rusted calipers seal blow with regular service on the bikes.
Thanks for being the test pilot Jagco. I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I always end up with that dam dot 4 on some paint. It is better than paint remover. I might be next to try this when I put my newly painted masters on. My calipers were looking great. Bead blasted, painted with caliper paint, all a lesson in futility.

Thanks for being the test pilot Jagco. I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I always end up with that dam dot 4 on some paint. It is better than paint remover. I might be next to try this when I put my newly painted masters on. My calipers were looking great. Bead blasted, painted with caliper paint, all a lesson in futility.

I no what you mean, Even if you used rags around the the master cylinders dot
3/4 will soak right through it - this what happen to me rain like runs in my paint.

I'm happy with it. And will keep using dot 5. My bike stayed cover up through the winter last year with dot 5 in the system no problem.

Now this is me mind you I no how some brother vmaxers feel about dot 5.

If I run some over on other painted parts or chrome I can just rag it off and it will leave slight shine to - funny.

If you going to pick some dot 5 up amazon.com is the place to buy.
This company will lower the price to 13.00 sometimes if you put it in your to buy list
in amazon.

Attachments

• P1060510.JPG
    P1060510.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 11
Back