Brake fluid

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollin thunder

Reaction score
Hi guys I am replacing my reserviour caps and noticed my Brake and Clutch fluid is a little low.Can I use dot 3 brake fluid or do I need something special?.I had to ruin one of my hold down screws and they are 2.00 for one at Bike bandit .com.Where can I get bike parts cheaper than that?.

Hi guys I am replacing my reserviour caps and noticed my Brake and Clutch fluid is a little low.Can I use dot 3 brake fluid or do I need something special?.I had to ruin one of my hold down screws and they are 2.00 for one at Bike bandit .com.Where can I get bike parts cheaper than that?.

Ron Ayers is a little cheaper but they'll still charge you $6 for shipping. PM me your address and I'll send you one. :punk:

Yes, they are interchangeable. DOT4 has a slightly higher boiling point. Just don't do DOT 5.

I have been using Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3/4 for years now. Seems to last longer before turning dark.

Go to a hardware store and get some countersunk allen stainless and you'll be done. I don't remembner if they are M4 or M5 though. Take yours and compare.

DOT 3/4. If you mix 3/4 with 5 you get jello. That's why not to use five unless you're completely replacing lines and everything. It's not necessary, and 3/4 works fine for us. 5 only really helps in racing applications where you might have concerns about boiling your fluid from so much braking. If you're doing that on you Max, you should maybe think about getting an extra bike for racing...

Thanks Danny.I am heading to Home Dep[ot Monday to replace all four and get some fresh fluid.The cold weather here in western N.Y .just wont leave and, we still need a good rain to wash the roads or my max stays in the garage.

I have been using Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3/4 for years now. Seems to last longer before turning dark.

me too. clutch and brakes. its cheap, compatible and easily found pretty much anywhere.

Bought some brake fluid today it said 3/4 on the bottle I may mix some of the fluid from the bike in a small cup just to make sure it mixes ok.

Bought some brake fluid today it said 3/4 on the bottle I may mix some of the fluid from the bike in a small cup just to make sure it mixes ok.

DOT 3 and DOT 4 are compatible. DOT 4 just has a higher boiling point. Still recommend Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3/4 though.

Latest posts

Back