brake lines routing question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misiek93

Reaction score
Recently I've installed a front end from 2005 zx10 on my 06 vmax. All I have left to do is put on the front brakes and that's where I need your help.

I was planning on using the original brake lines from the zx10 however, with the new triple tree they are too short. So I would like to know if I can use my original brake lines with the zx10 calipers.

I did some research and found that I can use DOT4 fluid in DOT3 systems with no issues, hower what I don't know is if the zx10 calipers will perform well using original vmax lines.

In the vmax the brake line from the master cylinder goes to a splitter (behind the headlight) than a seperate brake line runs to each caliper. In the zx10 the brake line from the master cylinder runs all the way down to one caliper than another line crosses over to the other caliper. (see attached pictures)

I'm not after improved braking at this point, I'm just looking to get stock performance from the front brakes.

Attachments

• vmax brake routing.jpg
    vmax brake routing.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 19
  • zx10 brake routing.jpg
    zx10 brake routing.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 20
Re: brake lines routing qustion

it *shouldn't* be a problem from what i can see, just make sure you do a bench test and slow speed tests!

What I would do is measure the length of a line to go down to the right side front caliper (or whichever caliper the double banjo is on) and then get a custom length line with the lower banjo set up for the ZX10. You can then use the ZX10 crossover line or better yet have whoever makes the line from the master to the caliper just send one along. That way you can have complete confidence that they will work.

If you can get the vmax lines to physically fit, they should work just fine as long as they are in good conditon. The splitter won't increase or decrease performance versus the other setup with a line jumping from one caliper, over the wheel, to the other.

Correct, once the volume of fluid is filled (meaning no air in the lines) it doesn't make much difference how long they are or how many different lines it takes to get there. The only thing a longer line setup will do is create pressure drop depending on the type of line. Meaning, more rubber line causes a pressure drop compared to the same length of hard line. Typically this won't be an issue unless you are talking very very long line lengths.

Sean

Thanks guys, that makes me feel a lot more confident :) Eventually I will get braided lines but that will be a winter project.

My 2 cents
Use the cleaner look of the crossover setup (no need to drill the triples for the splitter). Raise the bikes front till wheel comes of ground and measure the lines using a flexible line, then order braided lines. Ask Sean for a quote. My WAG is to be less than 80 bucks. Vmax lines will be longer than you need and it will beauty downgrade your front work having the splitter hanging in there... Go take a look at mine on my thread for you to have an idea...

Recently I've installed a front end from 2005 zx10 on my 06 vmax. All I have left to do is put on the front brakes and that's where I need your help.

I was planning on using the original brake lines from the zx10 however, with the new triple tree they are too short. So I would like to know if I can use my original brake lines with the zx10 calipers.

I did some research and found that I can use DOT4 fluid in DOT3 systems with no issues, hower what I don't know is if the zx10 calipers will perform well using original vmax lines.

In the vmax the brake line from the master cylinder goes to a splitter (behind the headlight) than a seperate brake line runs to each caliper. In the zx10 the brake line from the master cylinder runs all the way down to one caliper than another line crosses over to the other caliper. (see attached pictures)

I'm not after improved braking at this point, I'm just looking to get stock performance from the front brakes.

Second scenario is somethimes a beoch to bleed but they all working the same way - I have to say: just choose the design.

Somethimes theres a third way - two long lines connected directly to master cylinder.

Last edited:
On my Max, I've got R1 front brake calipers and use a YZF750 brake master cylinder, which uses (like satariel666 noted), "two long lines connected directly to master cylinder".

The brakes are amazing and effortless...I highly recommend this setup!

Elimax

Back