Brake Pad Replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErnieK2

Reaction score
I've done the brake pads on my Gen1, is there anything different replacing the pads on my Gen2?

They come out a lot easier on the gen 2. Be sure to squeeze your pistons back in before removing the worn pads to make pushing the new pads into position easier. I just grab hold of my calipers with my hands to do that - they move that easy, or should anyway.

I should point out. The best thing to do is to clean the calipers (especially around the pistons) BEFORE you push the pistons in. The cause of a lot of calipers locking up is usually because dirt and debris is pushed in when pads are changed and the pistons are simply pushed in without cleaning all the crap off.

I should point out. The best thing to do is to clean the calipers (especially around the pistons) BEFORE you push the pistons in. The cause of a lot of calipers locking up is usually because dirt and debris is pushed in when pads are changed and the pistons are simply pushed in without cleaning all the crap off.
Very good tip.
I always do that with brake cleaner and a tooth brush.

My concerns are around the ABS, I recall reading somewhere this this can cause issues when changing pads?

My concerns are around the ABS, I recall reading somewhere this this can cause issues when changing pads?

Changing pads shouldn't affect your antilock system whatsoever. Just be careful wrenching around the rear antilock wire cable when removing the caliper back there so as to NOT jack up the wire in some way. Although it should be secured well away from the caliper bolts to begin with, it wouldn't be good if a wrench were to slip off and hit the wire running just above the area.

Back