Brake pedal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Carnegie

Reaction score
This little mod is inspired by something I saw on another bike. It’s just a little tab attached to the brake pedal by a couple of machine screws. I wanted something that would orient my foot on the pedal and keep my boot from rubbing through the paint on the engine case.

3F9D025D-29CD-4E7C-A572-BACF69B04A01.jpeg

Great idea, thanks. I was thinking about this as I just repainted my side covers. Was worried about my boot rubbing also and was trying to come up with a idea. Problem solved, thanks again

Great idea, thanks. I was thinking about this as I just repainted my side covers. Was worried about my boot rubbing also and was trying to come up with a idea. Problem solved, thanks again
The pedal is cast aluminum so it’s pretty easy to work with. The tab is made with 1/8” extruded. I had to file a flat spot on the backside of the pedal where the tab goes. I found you have to be super careful drilling and tapping the holes for the machine screws because the aluminum is very thin. I used a drill press to make sure the hole didn’t surface somewhere.

Nice mod. I have seen loops welded on the gen 1 pedals and need to start offering that too!

Attachments

• Modified Brake Lever.jpg
    Modified Brake Lever.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 25
It would be nice to have an aftermarket brake pedal/lever with a little better casting quality than original. The original pedal gets the job done but I found it to be a fairly crude casting. I spent about 4-5 hours stripping off the paint, filing smooth and then polishing to a nice shine. Not many people would commit that much time to a brake pedal.

I found you have to be super careful drilling and tapping the holes for the machine screws because the aluminum is very thin. I used a drill press to make sure the hole didn’t surface somewhere.

Nice idea and I hate to be the first to piss on it but there is sufficient metal there that it is not weakened in anyway snd the holes aren't a source for a stress fracture? I'd rather rub off paint than have the pedal break off in a panic braking situation.

and as it is only a 'guide' perhaps you could just use an epoxy type adhesive and stick something on,
my foot never touches the engine when braking, well not enough that any paint wear has shown anyway

Nice idea and I hate to be the first to piss on it but there is sufficient metal there that it is not weakened in anyway snd the holes aren't a source for a stress fracture? I'd rather rub off paint than have the pedal break off in a panic braking situation.

I used #4 machine screws. It seem pretty sturdy still but I guess I’ll have to let you know once riding season begins in May. Too cold & wet to insure it right now.

Or one of the Delrin protectors for the clutch cover...prevents scratches and protects the clutch cover to a degree but a far more expensive solution.

On mountain bikes we use helicopter tape - a transparent flexible self-adhesive tape (I believe its original purpose was to protect helicopter blades) to prevent scrapes and paint chipping due to stone strikes - I have a strip on my RH scoop below the key fob - so that may work although I don't know if it will stay in place on a hot engine.

I'm sure the screw solution will work fine but imagine the surprise when you come to use the foot brake to find there's nothing but air.... in any case the significant braking is done by the front

Latest posts

Back