Brake replacements

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awyatt

Reaction score
Hello fellow VMAX'ers. Im new to the forum and still searching my way through the labyrinth of great information. Im certain my question is answered within the forum a thousand times ... but bare with me please.
Im interested in a replacement front brake assembly for the oem assembly. Looking for any suggestions everyone may have for me to explore .... thanks for suggestions in advance:

You are a new owner, read all these, you will gain a lot of VMax knowlege in a short period of time!

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21240

Generally, go with HH pads for your stock front calipers, and maybe some stainless steel brake lines for the front. In the rear, I think the stock pads are ok.

I'd go with the busa calipers and adapters with the 298mm rotors or a single 320mm conversion from Sean (One2dmax). Those early-year 2-piston calipers are just not up to everything the max can deliver.

Welcome to the board.

I went with Nissen calipers, 4 pots. HH pads from a CBR900F, braided lines and new Chinese rotors. Huge improvement over stock. This was done before the Busa conversions became available. I'll be putting on FJR masters over the winter. I'm happy with the good stopping power and low weight of the set up I have. Getting in touch with Sean is your best bet. Lots of choices now.
Steve-o

Indeed! We have a lot of braking options!
Your options:
Front:
Option 1 - DUAL Hayabusa Conversion
$60 - Adapters
$150 - Used 298 mm Rotors (I have some new available as well for varying pricing)
$150 - Pair Used Hayabusa Calipers
$80 ($40 set) - New Pads
*Optional - $110-150 - Pair Brake Lines (or 3 line kit - price varies depending on the option chosen)

Option 2 - SINGLE Hayabusa Conversion:
$40 - Adapter
$175 - 320mm Aftermarket Rotor
$100 - Used Single Hayabusa Caliper
$40 - New Pads
*Optional - $50-$80 - Single Brake Line
The advantage is cheaper cost then doing as a pair and less reciprocating mass for even better handling.

Option 3 - Dual Nissin 4 Piston:
This setup doesn't work as well as the other options but is less expensive and still better then the 2 piston brakes.
$60 - Adapters
Reuse your 280mm Rotors (or get vented aftermarkets we have available)
$50-$150 Used Calipers
$70 ($35 ea) - New Pads
$110-150 - Pair Brake Lines (or 3 line kit - price varies depending on the option chosen)
Some of the listed calipers require longer brake lines depending on if you have a lowered or stock height bike.

Rear:
Option 1 - Relocation Bracket
$45 - Single Relocation Bracket to use OEM caliper with 298mm rotor size.
$100 - Good used OEM 298mm rotor (Other new ones available too).
*Optional - $50-$60 - Braided Brake Line

Option 2 - Hayabusa Conversion
$40 - Single Bracket - You must Modify (I have pics of what to grind for these to fit)
$100 - Single Hayabusa Caliper
$40 - New Pad Set

Option 3 - R1 Conversion
$150 - Custom Rear Brake Mount
$50-$150 - Used R1 Caliper (price depends on year/condition)
$40 - New Pads

I went with Sean's Option 1 (front), with paired braided lines. New stock master cylinder as well. Had them on for about a year and was a bit like "ehhh, not super impressed..." BUT, I was so excited to do the conversion at the time that I didn't give the used calipers any TLC - just confirmed they "worked" and was away. Not the smartest of moves... Eventually got jack of the lacklustre braking performance (damn, they're Hayabusa brakes, they should kick ass!) So, after stripping, cleaning, inspecting and reassembling the calipers (did a full re-paint as well), and now I'm like "Damn, they're Hayabusa brakes, they DO kick ass!" Awyatt, you can't go wrong with Sean - top guy, very professional, and he's helpful as hell to boot :) Good luck with the project!

I have standard (2007) twin piston calipers on my Max and they will stand the bike on it's nose when asked. No noticeable fade even after repeated hard stops. What's the advantage of Hyabusa brakes ?

Chris.

I have an '89, which had the smaller diameter stock rotors. And probably ancient pads. With an '07, you'll already have the 298mm rotor setup. Going to those EBC HH pads in the front, with the stock 'newer' fitments, would probably give a person all the brakes they need (providing the brake system is nice n clean and operating smoothly). I like the idea of the mechanical advantage of 6 pot calipers, but whether it really makes for all that much difference I can't really say. My stock brakes were SHIT before, and were not even close to my (serviced) 'busa caliper setup (which is running on new rotors and HH pads).

This is true. Scratching is only a temporary fix... Once bitten, it's in your system, and it seems pretty hard to shake it lol

I have standard (2007) twin piston calipers on my Max and they will stand the bike on it's nose when asked. No noticeable fade even after repeated hard stops. What's the advantage of Hyabusa brakes ?

I believe Firemedic was talking about the early 2 piston calipers, which are NOT something I'd want to stop me. 2007 has the 4 pot calipers. With decent pads, they'll stop you ok. Busa calipers are another step above OEM IN 2007. More pad area grabbing the rotor=superior stopping.

93-07 have "decent" brakes but even they can stand an upgrade. Better pads is just one small upgrade. The popular upgrade for those year forks used to be the R1 caliper swap. A direct fit though the lines were too long at that point for a clean install.

The standard hayabusa upgrade that I had mentioned earlier in this thread was for the 85-92 forks.

I do have a hayabusa upgrade for the 93-07 bikes which involves a 320mm rotor and you only need a single caliper. This reduces reciprocating mass for quicker steering. The braking power stays the same due to the increased leverage and larger pads on the busa caliper.

Another popular upgrade is the mid 90's 6 piston sumitomo calipers. They are a direct bolt on and require no adapters or even a line change. They increase surface area on the pad and surface area on the pistons. This gives greater stopping power and increased feel. I have a number of these calipers on hand right now (usually I am lucky to have one set on hand).

Sean

Latest posts

Back