Brake upgrades??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65fury

Reaction score
Hey guys so im getting new brakes all the way around on my 86 vmax and i keep seeing all these upgrades to do....... and id like to upgrade them now since the bike is in peices, so what sites (in the USA) should i look at for the upgrade parts??? Thanks

Jason

I got my '92's front brakes upgraded for ~$260
Ebay - 1998 to 2007 Hayabusa calipers $65
Sean Morley - adapter $40 maybe $35 (coated gloss black)
EBC HH Brake pads - $40 Sean sells 'em!
Wavy rotors (Hong Kong - ebay) $180 for three(split with another VMF member)

I already had SS lines so I didn't need those and would be a worthwhile upgrade if you have them - talk to Sean he sells those too!
I just put HH pads and the larger rotor for my rear brakes. ~$95

I got my '92's front brakes upgraded for ~$260
Ebay - 1998 to 2007 Hayabusa calipers $65
Sean Morley - adapter $40 maybe $35 (coated gloss black)
EBC HH Brake pads - $40 Sean sells 'em!
Wavy rotors (Hong Kong - ebay) $180 for three(split with another VMF member)

I already had SS lines so I didn't need those and would be a worthwhile upgrade if you have them - talk to Sean he sells those too!
I just put HH pads and the larger rotor for my rear brakes. ~$95

Sweet, thanks ill definantly take a look on ebay and see whats out there, thanks for the info, is there a certain ebay seller that sells the wavy rotors?

jason

Attachments

• Wavey.jpg
    Wavey.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 71
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRON...6007542QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I've bought from him twice. for the front wavys and shared with another member for the rear brakes.

Your going to need to get an adaptor for the rear rotor, I got mine from "Jedi" top notch work.

I love the rotors, I've put them through hell and they have never let me down, big improvement over stock IMO.

Sweet, thanks man ill check it out, sick bike!:punk: almost the look im going for, im blacking out everything i possibly can with gloss and flat black accents

Jason

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRON...6007542QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I've bought from him twice. for the front wavys and shared with another member for the rear brakes.

Your going to need to get an adaptor for the rear rotor, I got mine from "Jedi" top notch work.

I love the rotors, I've put them through hell and they have never let me down, big improvement over stock IMO.

So these bold right up to the front as a swap out? You didnt run into the problem with any bolts hitting the forks? Will these run with the R1 calipers?

Thanks....

Here is a few shots of the early forks with the Hayabusa front calipers/ Sean's adapters, a couple of my old setup with wavy rotors/ jedi adapters and a few of the rear upgrade which shows wavy rotors/ Jedi's adapter. There are some pictures on here of others that have done the Hayabusa caliper upgrade which show them setup a little better, if I can 't find them I'll take a few pics tonight when I'm wiring up my new taillight mod.

Attachments

• IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 74
So these bold right up to the front as a swap out? You didnt run into the problem with any bolts hitting the forks? Will these run with the R1 calipers?

Thanks....

I don't know about the R1 calipers. I'm using the same, 4 pot, stockers that are on the '05. The rotors bolted right up, no problems. It was the rear rotor that needed the adaptor.

You will definately notice a difference. I've locked up the front with just the stock calipers and rubber lines.

Attachments

• front rotor.jpg
    front rotor.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 36
Here are the pictures of the 'Busa calipers on a '92.

Attachments

• IMG_0844.jpg
    IMG_0844.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0846.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0857.jpg
    IMG_0857.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 35
Hey fellas thanks for the info on the brakes, i found some busa calipers on ebay for $100 and another set for $150 is that normal? or should they be cheaper? one set had almost new brake pads still in them.

Jason

I typically sell busa caliper sets for $150 with used pads (usually good). Rotors are the same price for a pair ($150). BUT, you can sometimes find the calipers for less (and rotors too).

Sean

Hey fellas thanks for the info on the brakes, i found some busa calipers on ebay for $100 and another set for $150 is that normal? or should they be cheaper? one set had almost new brake pads still in them.

Jason
If the brakes looks to be in good condition the ebay may not be a bad deal (buyer beware on the condition of course), I picked mine up a little cheaper, which I'm sure you could do if you looked longer.
On the other hand, I would talk to Sean if you wanted to be sure and if you wanted to have them in a particular color, add SS lines, HH pads, etc., sort of a no hassle, one stop shop! :thumbs up:

I typically sell busa caliper sets for $150 with used pads (usually good). Rotors are the same price for a pair ($150). BUT, you can sometimes find the calipers for less (and rotors too).

Sean

OHH welll i guess ill be giving you a call haha, since ill need your fancy adapters:biglaugh: oh and i might be in your neck of the woods this August, im planning a trip to Texas and ill be going thru Derby :biglaugh:

Jason

LOL, anyone is welcome anytime. Will be out of town mid july to the end though! Should be around most anytime after that.

Sean

Well then ill have to swing by and let you tune my bike right? lol:clapping:

Jason

Back