Brakes?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakecharmr

Reaction score
Just wondering what year brakes are compatible? I have an 85 and need all new brakes front and rear. Looking on evilbay and most list from 86 up.. Was there a change and am I going to have a hard time finding what I need?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, just trying to figure it all out on the new bike.

I also need to buy a cover for the rear caliper as it was missing when I bought the bike. And the rear brake light switch is not functioning.. Seems like I've got some work on my hands..lol

Lot's of options for you. 85-90 fronts, I believe, are the same and not very good. Adapters are available to upgrade. Sean has all you need. The rear calipers are fine, and the same o n all Gen 1's. It all dependds on what you want to spend. The covers are still available new,but I'll bet someone has an extra to part with.
Steve-o

Just wondering what year brakes are compatible? I have an 85 and need all new brakes front and rear. Looking on evilbay and most list from 86 up.. Was there a change and am I going to have a hard time finding what I need?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, just trying to figure it all out on the new bike.
Like Steve said contact Sean Morley [email protected]

Here is a good read on parts campatibility and changes made to the Gen 1 over the years............http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=17148

I got all those parts and can even provide them Powdercoated fresh. I am unsure if I have all the covers you want. I'm pretty reasonably priced and can send you pics if you like. Let me know.

The guy I bought the bike from had Hayabusa rotors and calipers that he gave me but I didn't figure I could put them on.. So there are adapters to do this? My biggest issue is I've run into a lot of issue with previous bikes about guys not willing to ship parts to Canada.

^
Talk to Sean Morley and tell him what parts you have and he'll probably be able to ship the adapters you'd need to Canada.
Or you could always have them shipped to a member of this forum in Michigan near the Border and pick them up.

Hayabusa calipers and '93-07 vmax front rotors (some other bikes too) + a set of Seans caliper adapters= awesome brakes!

Rear vmax calipers from 85 to 07 will interchange.
85-92 front calipers interchange
93-07 front calipers interchange

If you have the '93*-'07 Hayabusa calipers all you need is larger (298mm) rotors and Sean's adapters to fit them to your bike. I have them on my '92 (last year of the early style brakes- '85-'92) and now that I have the aforementioned rotors/ Seans adapters, wavy rotors and SS lines coupled with the stock master cylinder. These brakes are friggin' excellent!
Here is my setup:
IMG_2054.jpg IMG_0844.jpg

Check out these rotors which are similar to mine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-BRAKE...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccf242ade&vxp=mtr

I just noticed this picture!....Hey Tom(Beekeeper) Check out the trailer; none of the rear tie downs are mounted in the trailer yet!!! This pic was taken June 9th!
IMG_2056.jpg

Last edited:
If you have the '93*-'07 Hayabusa calipers all you need is larger (298mm) rotors and Sean's adapters to fit them to your bike.

Brian
You got confused there. If he has the pre 92 he does need the larger rotors and adapters for the busa calipers. The pre 92 model has 83mm caliper bolt spacing (41mm fork tubes) and post 92 has 100mm spacing good for blue, gold or silver pots (43mm fork tubes). All post 92 have 298mm rotors and pre 92 are 282mm vented rotors same as all years rear rotor (left front rotor is different due direction of rotation).

The guy I bought the bike from had Hayabusa rotors and calipers that he gave me but I didn't figure I could put them on.. So there are adapters to do this? My biggest issue is I've run into a lot of issue with previous bikes about guys not willing to ship parts to Canada.

Sean Morley will ship to Ontario. I've got lots of stuff from him.

Dale

i've shipped to almost every country on the planet! Haven't done Nigeria yet, waiting on my money to come from them first.

Ok so just to clarify for my own sanity. These are my choices-

1-put new pads on and hope I got some life left on the rotors

2-put new pads and rotors on stock sizing (I'm getting the idea if I buy three rear rotors the rears fit the front for my year - 85 )

3-buy adapters for the busa calipers and rotors I have here and pick up some new pads (this should improve the breaking performance more than any other option)

Do I got this pretty much figured out, other than what I actually want to do...

Ok so just to clarify for my own sanity. These are my choices-

1-put new pads on and hope I got some life left on the rotors

2-put new pads and rotors on stock sizing (I'm getting the idea if I buy three rear rotors the rears fit the front for my year - 85 )

3-buy adapters for the busa calipers and rotors I have here and pick up some new pads (this should improve the breaking performance more than any other option)

Do I got this pretty much figured out, other than what I actually want to do...

No. Read my last post. Left side is different.

what about rotors that aren't drilled directional? Found some on evilbay that are listed as for 86-92. Seems like all of them are listed this way. Is the 85 different from all the rest?

Back