Breakdown oh no!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve just joined the forum and was planning some work on the bike during our Corona lockdown.
However it’s a nice day today ( the last till 3 weeks lockdown) and thought I would take the bike out.
It just died. It’s seems electrical as the main fuse is blown as well as .
am on the side of the road waiting for wife with the bike trailer.
does anyone have any suggestions on the problem?
cheers John

The main fuse, keeps blowing? Maybe a short.
That's a given! Finding it, that's the task. I would start at the switch, and the handlebar control pods, checking for wire continuity and short-circuits. Pay attention to connectors for where wires enter, sometimes the wire breaks at where the connector individual contact is crimped. Individual wires with only their pvc sheaths, may have a 'skinned-bare' spot where the wire is shorting to ground.

The stator wires coming from the left side of the engine, crankshaft cover terminate in a connector which often fails over-time. It's not-uncommon to find the white nylon M-F plug has turned brown from overheating, and has crumbled, exposing the wires to being short-circuited.

Not sure where you are or what year bike you have but I guessed and attached a color wiring diagram.
The main fuse in the bottom right corner.
Follow the wires on the paper and see where they go.
Do the same on your bike and inspect things along the way.
Dont discount the actual main fuse assembly itself as being damaged. Its happened before.

Attachments

• US 1990+ Color Wiring Diagram.pdf
    239.1 KB · Views: 5
Thanks to all for your response.
I have disconnected everything and then started to reconnect in order to try to isolate a faulty area. In moving the wiring I seem to have rectified the problem. That in itself is problematic because I have not managed to pinpoint the actual issue. The search continues- thanks for the suggestions. My bike is a 1989 model but thanks for the wiring diagram.
As part it the testing I have made a temporary main fuse using about 10A fuse wire. It’s a cheap way and not using plenty of fuses as being safe on the system as it’s underrated. I have uploaded a pic. I know it’s a but rough but I was worried about the rest of the electrical system so rather have that blow quickly...

Attachments

• 4578300B-81C9-469D-BA73-47FF79A0B668.jpeg
    4578300B-81C9-469D-BA73-47FF79A0B668.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 15
I think I have found the problem. Its the regulator. As soon as i apply voltage to the unit it blows the fuse.
Oh well, i am off the road anyway for 3 weeks during lockdown here. The important thing is that i have found a logical reason.
I will get on with something else in the meantime.
Any suggestions on how to polish the faux air intakes?
John

Latest posts

Back