Breaking bead, I invented!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
Drill 2 holes on each side 2" apart.
Install rope, use lever to turn rope to pull 2 sides together. One side will get off wheel.

2nd side:
use long pry bar as support for rope (piece of plywood to protect wheel. I'll post pics later.

Place the end of a 2x6 on the tire and drive up the other end with your vehicle.
There is a chance to damage brake rotor and you have to make a frame to put wheel on.
"unbeading" with rope should be done before removing wheel.
103_8688.JPG
103_8689.JPG

There is a chance to damage brake rotor and you have to make a frame to put wheel on.

Goes without saying.

This is a quick and dirty way to break a bead. My preference is to drill a garage wall stud, pin a 6' 2x4 to the hole, then a short 2' 2x4 pinned a couple feet out from the wall to swing down and place on the bead. Press down on the outer end of the long 2x4 to exert bead pressure. Broke many Gen I, Gen II & BMW sport bike beads with this tool.

With, of course, a 2x4 frame to protect the rotors.

Last edited:
I just take 2 2x4 pieces, one on the bottom, one on top, two big C-Clamps, squeeze, turn, repeat. works fine without the 2x4s but it can tear up the tire a bit. I've also used a bottle jack and my truck hitch to squeeze em.

"unbeading" with rope should be done before removing wheel.
View attachment 80805
View attachment 80806
That top pic shows what actually happened to me too! Neighbors cat, it bolted into the hole in the sidewall! What really sucked is it totally threw the tire/wheel off balance and his tail was pointing opposite the direction of rotation. Fricken Cat!!

Right tool for the right job.
I do a lot of work for other people to. I completely understand people wanting to do stuff there self but a lot of people forget about over head cost. I have worked for a couple dealers and I did not agree with a lot of stuff they done. It is catch 22. I am very reasonable priced now but pick and choose what I do and I do not have insurance like a big dealer do again catch 22

Back