Brembo Brakes for the 88 Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gleno

Reaction score
It took a while to decide what brakes to get but in the end I settled for the Brembo 4 pots with 65mm centres for use on the 88 front end.

These squeeze a set of R1 rotors.

I have Galfer braided stainless lines on order but they haven?t arrived yet.

The Brembo?s were originally a gold anodised finish but these have been painted over with VHT 'cast alloy' look brake calliper enamel and finished with the VHT clear coat brake calliper enamel.

The calliper adapters came from Tom at Quality Parts Online http://qualitypartsonline.com/brembo.htm He is a great guy to deal with and the parts are really well made. They were originally a clear anodised finish so I re-finished them the same way as the Brembo?s..

To give the front end a 'new' finish look I stripped the original grey enamel off the lower forks with Graffiti Remover and then polished the sand castings out of the alloy with a sisal buffing wheel. I decided to finish with the stitched rag wheel and Tripoli Compound. This gave the lower fork a bright satin finish that matches the finish on the fork brace.

To preserve the bright satin finish the lowers were also sprayed with VHT brake calliper clear coat.

I weighed the original Wheel, tyre, rotors and callipers to see how much weight I had gained or lost on the front end with this setup. The weigh difference is negligible. The R1 rotors are much lighter than the units I was running.

The brake pads are EBC Double-H New "C" Formula. They are quick to bed in and work well with the Brembo.

So what's the braking like?

In a word, AWESOME!!! And that is with standard brake lines and standard master cylinder.

This setup offers true single finger braking. The touch is light and positive with no detectable fade or biting under heavier loads. The 120/70 Metzeler does a great job of transferring the braking forces to the bitumen.

You can get a set of these Brembo's from your local motorcycle re-cyclers for little cash down. Just remember to get the European banjo bolts with the calipers. They use a 1mm pitch thread and the Yamaha standard is 1.25mm. Your standard lines will still hook up.

Definitely worth doing if you want to stop in a hurry and without effort.

[FONT=&quot]I think the result also look the business.

[/FONT]

Attachments

• P1030028.jpg
    P1030028.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 65
  • P1030048.jpg
    P1030048.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 113
  • P1030051.jpg
    P1030051.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I have the same brakes, but I used Brembo Silverline 4-pot calipers off a Ducati 999. Amazing improvement! I recommend them to everyone with an early Vmax!

Attachments

• PIC03891.jpg
    PIC03891.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Image133.jpg
    Image133.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 35
  • Image134.jpg
    Image134.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back