Bright Gauge's Remedy (color change)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone post a side by side stock lighting next to the L.E.D set up?.

hehehe interesting request. i should have thought of it before taking the plunge:rofl_200:. well until someone posts a pic, lemme tell you this: i put in 4 of the blue 74HP3s. the brightness is just about the same as stock, if not just slightly subdued with a softer glow, but a crisper edge. it is kind of just like going from a CRT computer monitor (remember those?) to an LED one. i absolutely love the effect at night--letters and numbers are clean. if i remember how it used to be with stock bulbs correctly (which wasn't but a few months ago), i'm willing to testify that the gauges are easier to read--more legible, where the stock bulb had washed out the numbers in comparison to the LEDs.

Good luck! I recommend blue (of course). Others report that green and red are effing mad, too! the purple is not as popular, prolly it is too dim. superbrightleds.com offers other colors as well, from blinding white to warm, fuzzy orange.

honestly, if your curious enough to post your request, then it's apparent that you don't dislike the effect, so just do it. :rofl_200:

I have a 93 model max .The 55 is brighter than the rest of the numbers which looks cool to me.I may go with the blue.

i hav the blue and red both are awesome, but for the cash its way worth it, you'll love them trust me

i NEXT TIME I TAKE MINE APART , I'M GOING TO SWAP THEM OUT FOR THE " JOKER GREEN " , .. THE " JOKER GREEN " IS FRIGGING " CRAZY AWESOME " ! . :punk:

i ACTUALLY , I THINK THE STOCK BULBS ARE WAY TO BRIGHT , AND WITH THE LED BULBS , ALL OF THE " COLORS " ARE COOL AS HELL IN THEIR OWN RIGHT ! . :punk:

Thank you for keeping old threads like this in the "new posts". I was just wondering about these led lights for my gauges.

Hey CR,

Those YouTube links won't open when I click on them...
i THEY OPEN WHEN I CLICK ON THEM , BUT I'M NOT THAT COMPUTER SAVVY , IT TOOK 10 GUY'S ON THIS FORUM A MONTH TO SHOW ME HOW TO POST A PICTURE , SO I'M NOT GOING TO BE OF ANY HELP WITH THIS ISSUE ! .. :confused2:

Just as a follow up to this...

I've had two of the HP3 LEDs go bad now within a year. Namely, they will stay on normally for like 30 seconds, then start randomly blinking on and off. I checked the connection in the socket, wasn't it. Both did the exact same thing when they failed. I already used my spare, another was bad today so I stole the one out of the temp gauge, since mine is non functional anyway. Not like it's a huge deal but kind of annoying considering these are supposed to last what, like 100k hours or something? One lasted maybe 2 months and the other maybe 8(with 4 months of not being used).

anybody else have these go bad like this?

still going strong after a little over a year. of course, now that i say this, they're going to burn out on me tomorrow.

I did not go with the LED one's I got the reg glass type in Amber, with the green tint of the gauge faces gives a orange hue in the photo, but not so bad in person.
newambergauges1.jpg

Last edited:
Ryan, did you buy them from superbrightleds? If I remember correctly, I had to "tighten" the prongs a little bit in the socket...mine kept blinking on and off too until I did this. No problems since.

mine had done the same thing, replaced it and it was fine.

Just as a follow up to this...

I've had two of the HP3 LEDs go bad now within a year. Namely, they will stay on normally for like 30 seconds, then start randomly blinking on and off. I checked the connection in the socket, wasn't it. Both did the exact same thing when they failed. I already used my spare, another was bad today so I stole the one out of the temp gauge, since mine is non functional anyway. Not like it's a huge deal but kind of annoying considering these are supposed to last what, like 100k hours or something? One lasted maybe 2 months and the other maybe 8(with 4 months of not being used).

anybody else have these go bad like this?
i I WAS JUST TALKING TO " DANNYMAX " ABOUT THIS A MONTH OR SO AGO , I CHANGED 2 OF MINE ALSO WITHIN 2-3 WEEKS , AND THEY CANT HAVE 40 HOURS ON THEM , THEN I ACCIDENTALLY FIGURED OUT THAT IF I STOP RIDING AND STARTED IT UP AGAIN IT WOULD COME ON , THEN I REMEMBERED SOMEONE ON THE FORUM TALKING ABOUT THE STARTER SWITCH HAVING A BAD CONTACT , BECAUSE AS YOU NO , THE LIGHTS GO OUT WHEN YOU HIT THE STARTER BUTTON , SO IF I START MY BIKE AND ONE OF MY DASH LIGHTS IS OUT I JUST TAP ON MY STARTER BUTTON REAL LIGHTLY WITH THE END OF MY FINGER AND THE DASH LIGHT THAT WAS OUT WILL LIGHT-UP , SO THE PROBLEM MAY BE IN THE SWITCH " RA " ! . :confused2: . I WOULD THINK THAT THEY ARE ALL ON THE SAME WIRES IN SERIES , BUT WHAT THE FUCK DO I KNOW ? "LOL""LOL""LOL" AND I ALSO HAD TO CRIMP MY SOCKETS A LITTLE-BIT TIGHTER WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED MY LED'S !

Last edited:
i ALSO THE ONE'S THAT I THOUGHT " WERE BLOWN OUT " , I BENCH TESTED WITH A 9 VOLT BATTERY AND THEY WERE FINE ! :confused2: SO ITS THE BIKE NOT THE BULBS IN MY CASE ! :confused2:

Guess that's worth a shot. I think I chucked the one that went bad a while ago but I still have the one I discovered the other day. I noticed they fit rather loosely in the socket as well and tried to "pinch" the socket a bit better.

I assume the problem must be in the circuit....if you turn the power off, then right back on, they will stay lit steady for 30sec-1min or so, then begin the on-off blink. Few seconds off, few seconds on, ect. Cutting the power briefly resets them for another minute it seems. This can be with the bike not running or moving, so it can't be blamed on vibration and a loose socket. And since I swapped the other bulb over to the tach from the temp gauge, now it's lit perfectly fine again.

Who knows. At least the ones in the speedo haven't given me any grief, they're a lot tougher to get at.

i I WAS JUST TALKING TO " DANNYMAX " ABOUT THIS A MONTH OR SO AGO , I CHANGED 2 OF MINE ALSO WITHIN 2-3 WEEKS , AND THEY CANT HAVE 40 HOURS ON THEM , THEN I ACCIDENTALLY FIGURED OUT THAT IF I STOP RIDING AND STARTED IT UP AGAIN IT WOULD COME ON , THEN I REMEMBERED SOMEONE ON THE FORUM TALKING ABOUT THE STARTER SWITCH HAVING A BAD CONTACT , BECAUSE AS YOU NO , THE LIGHTS GO OUT WHEN YOU HIT THE STARTER BUTTON , SO IF I START MY BIKE AND ONE OF MY DASH LIGHTS IS OUT I JUST TAP ON MY STARTER BUTTON REAL LIGHTLY WITH THE END OF MY FINGER AND THE DASH LIGHT THAT WAS OUT WILL LIGHT-UP , SO THE PROBLEM MAY BE IN THE SWITCH " RA " ! . :confused2: . I WOULD THINK THAT THEY ARE ALL ON THE SAME WIRES IN SERIES , BUT WHAT THE FUCK DO I KNOW ? "LOL""LOL""LOL" AND I ALSO HAD TO CRIMP MY SOCKETS A LITTLE-BIT TIGHTER WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED MY LED'S !
i I JUST DID THIS YESTERDAY , I STARTED MY BIKE , MY TACH LIGHT WENT OUT , WHILE IT WAS RUNNING I JUST .................. " THIMPED " THE STARTER BUTTON TWICE AND IT LIT WRIGHT-UP ! . :confused2:

Back