Bright Gauge's Remedy (color change)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered some more of these 74 type bulbs for the idiot lights also. Namely since they're all invisible in bright daylight.

I got 3 HP3s and 3 HPs all in the "cool white" coming. Having the neutral, highbeam, and fuel lights brighter would be nice. I miss the fuel one all the time during the day and even when the bike starts cutting out I have to cup my hand over it so I can tell it's on.

I'm not sure if replacing the "turn" indicator with a diode will mess up the circuit, but I'll give it a try.

I'd also like to have some sort of light for the fan being on, since I turn it on in traffic and almost always forget about it. Maybe I can poke a LED in the sixth blank idiot light spot.

Great ideas with the idiot lights. I too am always cupping the fuel light etc. think I'm gonna do the same.
I did prez's dual diode turn signal mod without any probs

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

The only thing I'd worry about is riding at night - if they're really bright it might get annoying.

Would be good to include a resistor and a switch for 'night setting' (dimmer)

I'm sure this has been noted before, but the turn signal has reverse polarity for the left turn signal, and standard polarity for the right turn signal. I can make custom LED replacements for this utilizing two different LED's on the same board. If you place a standard LED bulb replacement in the turn signal, it won't work.

Hope I'm not pointing out the obvious or what's already been found out... :)

I miss the fuel one all the time during the day and even when the bike starts cutting out I have to cup my hand over it so I can tell it's on.

Is there two levels of brightness on the fuel light? Like, is it on just a little always and only when it goes to reserve does it come on brighter? I replaced mine with a LED, but it didn't warn me when I ran down too low today. I'm wondering if the setup is the same as the turn signals with a reverse polarity on this bulb as well. An incandescent bulb doesn't need to worry about being reverse polarity, so it's going to work regardless of orientation.

Here's Prez's mod, I was talking about: www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8130

Nope, it's binary--on or off.

Well, that's not totally true. It works off the thermistor is the fuel tank...when the fuel is covering it, it stays cool and has very high resistance. When the fuel exposes it to air, it can warm up, and as the temperature goes up the resistance goes down, so the light slowly starts to fade on. At some point there's enough voltage to trip the fuel pump relay to turn off.

So no there aren't multiple brightnesses, but it's not a true on/off either. More of Yamaha's famous wiring.

Maybe the voltage is too low to really power up a LED, but enough to light an incandescent dimly? Should be in the next day or two, I'll see if these 74 LEDs work. I ordered a couple HPs and a couple HP3s, so if the HP3 is too bright for night use I can swap in the dimmer one.

Well, that's not totally true. It works off the thermistor is the fuel tank...when the fuel is covering it, it stays cool and has very high resistance. When the fuel exposes it to air, it can warm up, and as the temperature goes up the resistance goes down, so the light slowly starts to fade on. At some point there's enough voltage to trip the fuel pump relay to turn off.

So no there aren't multiple brightnesses, but it's not a true on/off either. More of Yamaha's famous wiring.

Maybe the voltage is too low to really power up a LED, but enough to light an incandescent dimly? Should be in the next day or two, I'll see if these 74 LEDs work. I ordered a couple HPs and a couple HP3s, so if the HP3 is too bright for night use I can swap in the dimmer one.

Ahh ok, well that's just a simple case of changing the resistor I used on the LED to something a little less. This will allow the light to come on with a lower voltage. As it ramps up in voltage, so will the LED.. :) Kind of annoyed me, bike died on me and I had no clue why. silly thing.. light wasn't bright enough or the level thermister wasn't working. Needless to say I walked the bike for a few blocks until I decided to try the reserve. Started right up after that.

Kind of annoyed me, bike died on me and I had no clue why. silly thing.. light wasn't bright enough or the level thermister wasn't working. Needless to say I walked the bike for a few blocks until I decided to try the reserve. Started right up after that.

that's a DOH! moment if ever I saw one!! :biglaugh:

Hehe I have a LOT of those. Like every time I try to start off on the bike, put it in gear and forget that the KICKSTAND IS STILL DOWN. Kills the bike EVERY TIME. :) DOH!

I'm currently having issues with my tank. I think it's associated with the LED's that I put in there. As RAwarrior states, the thermister heats up... blah blah blah. Well, the stock light has to be needed to maintain the resistance on the thermistor or something as I can't run my bike on the LED unless it's in reserve. It'll get about a block or two on standard before it starts to die on me. I'm going to swap back to the incandescent and see if this solves it and let you guys know.

i I SHOWED MY MAX TO A GUY I WORK WITH , AND HE SHIT , HE LOVED THE RED GAUGES ! . :punk:

Last edited:
you guys having issues with longevity? one of my speedo bulbs is shot. does the x3 seem to last longest?

i GARRETT , DID YOU TRY PUSHING IN AND LETTING OUT THE STARTER BUTTON WITH THE KEY OFF LIKE 20 TIMES AND THEN TURN THE KEY ON AND SEE IF IT WORKS , SOUNDS CRAZY BUT THERE IS A CONNECTION WITH CORRODED CONTACTS IN THE STARTER SWITCH AND A DASH LIGHT BEING OUT ! . :confused2:

i GARRETT , DID YOU TRY PUSHING IN AND LETTING OUT THE STARTER BUTTON WITH THE KEY OFF LIKE 20 TIMES AND THEN TURN THE KEY ON AND SEE IF IT WORKS , SOUNDS CRAZY BUT THERE IS A CONNECTION WITH CORRODED CONTACTS IN THE STARTER SWITCH AND A DASH LIGHT BEING OUT ! . :confused2:

just one bulb in the speedo? that doesn't sound right..

just one bulb in the speedo? that doesn't sound right..
i I NO , BUT AS STRANGE AS IT IS , I JUST HAD IT HAPPEN AGAIN 2 WEEKS AGO WHEN I WENT RIDING WITH JEFF , " FINETUNE " , STARTED MY " MAX " , 1 BULB WAS OUT , TAPPED LIGHTLY ON THE STARTER SWITCH A COUPLE OF TIMES AND WA-LA " , IT LIT WRIGHT UP ! . :confused2:

weird. i replaced the bulb and all is good! i replaced them both while i was in there.

in good news i realized i didn't need to take apart the headlight to get to these bulbs!

Latest posts

Back