Bringing back from the dead award

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
Is there a "bringing back from the dead" award? There are several people on the forum that are probably deserving of this award...if there is one.

Several people have bought Vmax's that they probably shouldnt have, and instead of parting them out...spent a lot of time, money, and effort, and brought them back from the dead, to have a great bike.

Sometimes its not about the money, what something is worth monetarily, its about what you want, and against the odds.

Just my thoughts.

That is a good idea! :punk: I'll have to work on an icon for it.

That is a good idea! :punk: I'll have to work on an icon for it.

I'm thinking of that movie"Warm Bodies" where the Zombies heart begins to beat again and they slowly return to human form by having been given lots of love.....cool movie actually, lots of black humor.....

I nominate myself, and my aptly-named bike, "Lazarus," brought out of a 13 year slumber after being bought by me a year-old and w/1700 miles on it and ridden for six years before the ignition pick-up (I think) started giving me problems, and I didn't have the $ to spend on it, (not really being-sure of what was causing it to run sometimes, and sometimes not) so into storage it went. Halloween 2011 I decided it was time to do something w/it and I had it going again by Christmas, but multiple mechanical setbacks after that caused me much $$. I learned a lot about my bike in the meantime, and made-friends w/a great mechanical talent, Steve, at Under Pressure in Dania Beach FL. If he can make six-second drag bikes, I guess he can wrench on my stock VMax. And he has, and my bike is the better for it.

• Christmas 2011 after I got it running for the first time in 13 years
  • new-to-me bike, a '92 in '93, fresh from the dealer's (notice the paper dealer's tag)
  • undercut tranny courtesy of my friend and machinist Mike from W.Palm Beach
  • 2012, in-front of a FL ice cream stand, R.I.P Pigpen and Jerry
  • 2013 Daytona Bike Week, my UFO 4/1 scared the H-D crowd
  • late spring 2013 after I got tired of the UFO 4/1 'ringing-ears' syndrome
  • another candidate to be resuscitated-a different bike waiting its turn
  • three pics of a sealed-up engine pre-sandblasting, 20 lb Harbor Freight can
  • post media-blasting, ready for paint
  • out with the old
  • in with the new
I could have given-up on this numerous times over the years, but I made the mistake of becoming sentimentally-attached to an inanimate object. I think it was more a case of, "this &*^%*&##!** bike isn't going to make me surrender, and break it up for parts!":damn angry: I still need to do a disassembly and frame repaint, along w/the misc. parts needing cosmetic refurbishment, but the mechanicals are seemingly done. A few minor things yet to tend-to, but it starts immediately, runs where it should on the temperature gauge, and still is capable of putting a complacent grin on my face every time I ride it and feel the VBoost work.:biglaugh: Plus, I've met some great people in-person, like Dave and Kyle, and Ninjaneer, and have exchanged interesting correspondence with a lot more people on here. I also have made lots of very fair purchases of parts to fix my bike or to have as spares, and it's fun to exchange ideas and info. :punk:

So, yes, I think the idea of a 'back from the dead' award is a good one. And there is a rumor of an even-older bike w/barely 11K miles on it awaiting a similar resto, though hopefully, not w/as-much $$ and tribulations. (seventh pic) "Son of Lazarus?"

I joined here first before I undertook the project of the bike being returned to the road, and got lots of ideas from the members, and some parts, before I actually began wrenching.

Attachments

• 12-28-11.jpg
    12-28-11.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 1992 V Max at Ken's.jpg
    1992 V Max at Ken's.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 36
  • undercut gearsets.jpg
    undercut gearsets.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 31
  • GrateDead and bike.jpg
    GrateDead and bike.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Daytona pkg lot.jpg
    Daytona pkg lot.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 31
  • cylinder fins right.jpg
    cylinder fins right.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 1986 chassis.JPG
    1986 chassis.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 24
I have one out here that should have never been brought back from the dead. I will have to try & find the pictures of it. I believe Dave has some of it after I drug it out of the yard in Miami

I've brought back about a dozen from the dead, some much worse than others. Just picked up an 85 with 7K original miles, a real barn find, needs alot of love but already running, has a good second gear, needs cosmetics. I'm sure they'll be more too!!!!!

Kyle, is this it?

"I have one out here that should have never been brought back from the dead. I will have to try & find the pictures of it. I believe Dave has some of it after I drug it out of the yard in Miami ."

Attachments

• IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 33
Kyle, is this it?

"I have one out here that should have never been brought back from the dead. I will have to try & find the pictures of it. I believe Dave has some of it after I drug it out of the yard in Miami ."
No that is not it. This one looks like it came off the show room floor compared to the other one.

I think the one in the above pic is mine, however Kyle repainted it blue before I got my hands on it.

I what ever happened to that boat anchor that was on ebay at 3000$ the one that got dredged out of the Lower Ninth Ward having first been stored at the bottom of the bayou. THAT one would have deserved a zombie award...

Ah ok, I just remember you saying it used to be yellow.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Back