Broke mirror mount on front brake master cyclinder on my VMX1200

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephan D

Reaction score
Hi all,

A car knocked over my bike (again), and broke the corner of the front break master cyclinder that the mirror screws into.
It's a 1988 VMX1200

I've been looking at the OEM part a around $125, but the picture of it looks wonky, can someone help with the exact part number? I have 3HE-2583T-01-00

Also - I'm debating whether I should try to do something else...

a) repair it with a zinc rod welding (I'm not particularly handy), or jd weld.
b) look for an upgraded master cyclinder option if that's going to improve braking (I'm not particularly dissatisfied at the moment, and don't want to spend too much more than the OEM)

Advice please?

Thanks

The thread is left handed on that side so if you do manage to rebuild it, you need an M10 left hand tap to clean it up.

I am not sure what metal(s) the master is made from but there are rods for repairing and joining aluminum alloys.

You will need to strip the master, including the sight glass which I believe has a rubber seal, so there are no non-metallic parts which would be damaged by the heat.
There is a fair bit of metal and aluminium (assuming that's what we have) is a very good conductor of heat so a blow torch on top of a gas hob will do it. (I've repaired a car inlet manifold this way, a much bigger chunk)

One way of repairing threaded holes is to insert the screw, in this case the mirror, and melt the rod (metal) around it so it forms the thread. I've never done it myself.

BTW here in UK these rods go under the brand name Lumiweld

An alternative is to buy a replacement master or a clamp for a mirror, obviously that's a non starter if you are after originality and the may not be LH thread.

I'm pretty sure in the US vmax master cylinders are plentiful and not too expensive, this would be the easiest.

There are also single female-threaded clamps onto the handlebar, for a mirror, you just have to get one for the Yamaha reverse-thread. They're pretty-narrow.

There are also single female-threaded clamps onto the handlebar, for a mirror, you just have to get one for the Yamaha reverse-thread. They're pretty-narrow.

Thanks Fire-medic - I ordered the replacement master cylinder, but if something happens again I'll consider that option.

I've been parking my bike on the street in NYC, so it's going to get knocked over again sooner or later :(

Latest posts

Back