Broken A/F mix screw

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHVmaxpower

Reaction score
Well all summer I dreaded taking care of this right side a/f mix screw because of all the horror stories ive heard about getting them out so what better time to deal w/ it ? winter time . I removed the rack of carbs & secured them to my bench I took a 1/4" drill bit & drilled a pilot hole in the center of the a/f screw I then took a 1/8" drill bit & drilled threw the center a lil less than a 1/4" I then took a old screw driver (slightley bigger than 1/8") filed 2 edges to make sharp blades as it turns counter clockwise I tapped the screw driver in & gave it a turn & bamn unscrewed the frozen needle the threads came out in 2 peices & I tipped the carb over & the rest of the needle fell out . I then reinstalled a new A/F screw .. Not sure what all the fuss is about ive dealt w/ worse things all my years being a auto mechancic just need patiance .

Total Congrats, every problem has a simple solution if you think hard enough. Sometimes it takes me months but I'll eventually figure it out and the ideas work almost 100%

Congrats Wayno and good job. A lot of carb. bodies get into the scrap pile because of a seized needle. There's not a lot of meat to work with on those needles. Sometimes things just go right. Last flywheel I pulled came right off, but that isn't always the case. I've struggled with flywheels too. I'd cover the needle tunnels with plastic plugs.
Steve

damn! big congrats. idve been absolutely beside myself not knowing the first thing to do. kudos!!!

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Well all summer I dreaded taking care of this right side a/f mix screw because of all the horror stories ive heard about getting them out so what better time to deal w/ it ? winter time . I removed the rack of carbs & secured them to my bench I took a 1/4" drill bit & drilled a pilot hole in the center of the a/f screw I then took a 1/8" drill bit & drilled threw the center a lil less than a 1/4" I then took a old screw driver (slightley bigger than 1/8") filed 2 edges to make sharp blades as it turns counter clockwise I tapped the screw driver in & gave it a turn & bamn unscrewed the frozen needle the threads came out in 2 peices & I tipped the carb over & the rest of the needle fell out . I then reinstalled a new A/F screw .. Not sure what all the fuss is about ive dealt w/ worse things all my years being a auto mechancic just need patiance .

This is exactly what I have done before, many times. I step even further and ordered a special stepped drill which allows me to use a hand driller in this operation. Now it takes 1 minute and carbs does not need to be removed. Bravery somethimes brings a good results.

Congrats Wayno and good job. A lot of carb. bodies get into the scrap pile because of a seized needle. There's not a lot of meat to work with on those needles. Sometimes things just go right. Last flywheel I pulled came right off, but that isn't always the case. I've struggled with flywheels too. I'd cover the needle tunnels with plastic plugs.
Steve

Good reminder Steve-o....this is a MUST!! I squirt a couple drops of motor oil in before installing the plugs....keeps everything lubed & working smoothly.

This is exactly what I have done before, many times. I step even further and ordered a special stepped drill which allows me to use a hand driller in this operation. Now it takes 1 minute and carbs does not need to be removed. Bravery somethimes brings a good results.

Bravery maybe but I didn't want to be down during riding season if things went wrong.

Naughty I agree were do we get these plugs??

Well it must be in the archive somewhere here - somebody had found the perfect fit but you had to buy at least 100, so I did and sent 4 to anyone who wanted them.

If only I could remember! :ummm:

Lol they say the mind is the first to go. You'll find it... It's a pita to search w my phone I will search later on my pc.

I got mine at Home Depot or Lowe's in their hardware dept in those drawers they keep odd stuff in. Mine were black but think white was available also.

I got mine at Home Depot or Lowe's in their hardware dept in those drawers they keep odd stuff in. Mine were black but think white was available also.

Black,blue,pink,white color isn't a problem. Thanks for letting us know.

For some reason these carburetors make me nervous. I've rebuilt many bike,sled,Holly's, Carter's, Rochester's but these have me on edge. I guess I'll know how hard or easy they are once I get my gaskets and orings.

For some reason these carburetors make me nervous. I've rebuilt many bike,sled,Holly's, Carter's, Rochester's but these have me on edge. I guess I'll know how hard or easy they are once I get my gaskets and orings.

dude, i rebuilt mine without so much of a hiccup. if a greenhorn rookie hobbyist like myself whose mechanic sense went so far as only ever have changed the oil on cagers prior to the rebuild can do it, then certainly a vet with your track record could stroll through the park doing these

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

I use a 1/4" left hand twist drill to find center on the seized needle, then drill a small pilot hole through to dissconnect the threaded portion from the needle shank (again. left hand twist drill. Finally, with a left hand twist 3/16" drill, hog out the threaded portion, it usually snags and unscrews the threaded portion (of course soaking for hours beforehand with a penetrent). expanding the threaded portion with an easy out of even wedging a screwdriver in there sometimes works, but I like the lefty drills...

eh....dont fret my friend. very easy carbs to work on.

Latest posts

Back