Broken hex ball in bolt head

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I break ball allens, I have a slim all metal pick that I use. I wedge the point into a spot that the ball is not against and I lightly tap the pick at whatever angle I need to shock it out. Its not an ideal method, but with a bit of patience and tapping, it will come out. Nothing as frustrating as breaking a tool than breaking a tool in a bolt.

Any qualified welder can fix that. A good way is to place a washer over it with a 6mm hole. This covers up everything you want to protect. Have the welder move his arc from a piece of scrap to the washer to the broken part. Then weld a nut to the washer. Done right, everything will come out. When ready, heat the threaded area to breakdown any loctite that may have been used. TIG works, or a 1/16" stainless arc rod should do it. The washer and nut needs a good weld on at least 2 sides to pull a stubborn fastener.

This works really well on automotive exhaust manifolds and engine blocks.

MAKE SURE THE WELDER GROUND CLAMP IS SECURE TO THE WASHER. You can clamp the ground to a needle nose vise grip that is clamped to the washer.

If you have a small punch with a sharp tip. Place it on the broken bit and hit it in the opposite direction you broke it in.

Most of the fasteners on the bike have lock-tight on them from the factory.

I snapped off one of the allen bolts that holds the cam covers on, on my first Gen 2.

A strong magnet.
I've done that before at work and I got it out with the really strong magnets we have here at work.
Make sure it wiggles around in the hole using a small precision screwdriver or something, and when it does, just put the magnet against it to pull it out.

Vinnie

Latest posts

Back