Broken shift fork?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
I had put about 300 miles on my 97 Max today, when disaster struck. Cruising along in 5th at about 40mph or so behind a slow-moving car, I kicked it down to 4th, and passed shortly after. Didn't even open it up, just casually rolled around the slow car. I went to put it back into 5th, I didn't use the clutch, and instead of grabbing 5th it went into neutral. I pulled in the clutch and kicked down, it grabbed 4th again. Tried to shift to 5th, this time using the clutch- same effect. Finally after working it between 4th and "neutral" a few times it finally caught 5th again. I figured the pinch bolt on the shifter linkage must be loose again(it had come loose once before). I pulled over to look. The linkage was not loose. When I went to pull out again, I couldn't get past 3rd. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift up and down normally. When I go to kick up to 4th, there is zero resistance on the shifter and nothing at all happens. I had to drive it about 50 miles in 3rd gear to get back to school, the entire way I could not get 4th.

So...what broke? I know next to nothing about bike transmissions so I really can't even venture a guess. Is it something that will require a stealership visit, or can I do it myself? How much would it cost at a dealer?

It sounds like the shift segment pin(s) dropped to your pan. Do a search on shift segment.

You will need to remove the clutch basket to see it/replace. Make sure you order one from a '99 - '07. They improved the design in '99'.

OK, so reading up it seems like it was redesigned in 99 to a better segment. The "finger" plate was merged with the segment instead of having two separate pieces, and it looks like something I can do myself. Glad this won't be a monster, split-the-case problem.

If the pins did fall out, will they be hanging around the little "cubby" for the clutch, or are they likely to be in the oil pan? If they are, is it a priority to get them out? Is that even possible?

Any particular tips or tricks I should know? I ordered the updated parts(though the guy at the dealer said the pre-99 part was marked as superceded to the updated.

I ordered the new segment, the set of five pins, the one longer pin, a new screw just to be extra safe in case I strip the old one, and a new clutch cover gasket. Should be a pretty straightforward ordeal?

Not a big job - you'll have no probs. Even if you do, just post on here & others will walk you through it. It took me an hour & two beers to do mine.:biglaugh:

Would you recommend using an impact screwdriver(those things you whack with a hammer) on the screw or would that be too "harsh"? Or just make sure the screwdriver fits really well?

The local dealer said they'll order the parts tomorrow and they should be in Thursday or Friday.

Any idea on what to do if the pins fell out?

Would you recommend using an impact screwdriver(those things you whack with a hammer) on the screw or would that be too "harsh"? Or just make sure the screwdriver fits really well?

The local dealer said they'll order the parts tomorrow and they should be in Thursday or Friday.

Any idea on what to do if the pins fell out?

What dealer are you going through??:ummm:

You have the tools???A place to work???

If I can help let me know.......No, you can't have my shifter segment...

The university has a student car garage that is fairly well stocked with tools, including air tools. I can work on it there.

I ordered the parts from Sovie's outside of town. It's the only Yamaha dealer even remotely close. They don't carry Yamaha motorcycles but they said they can still order parts for them- they're a Yamaha bike "service center" but not dealer- they only carry quads and snowmobiles.

Actually, our motorcycle club has a Yamaha "5-star" factory certified mechanic for street bikes. He said he would help me with it. Thanks for the offer though.

The university has a student car garage that is fairly well stocked with tools, including air tools. I can work on it there.

I ordered the parts from Sovie's outside of town. It's the only Yamaha dealer even remotely close. They don't carry Yamaha motorcycles but they said they can still order parts for them- they're a Yamaha bike "service center" but not dealer- they only carry quads and snowmobiles.

Actually, our motorcycle club has a Yamaha "5-star" factory certified mechanic for street bikes. He said he would help me with it. Thanks for the offer though.

Sounds like I may be asking YOU for help.......:biglaugh:

it's a torx bit and a manual impact driver to break them loose works well.

Sean

Does anyone here have the new segment part in stock? The ass-hats at the local dealer "forgot" to order my parts-after absolutely 100% promising me they would be in by the end of the week. I'm not sure I want to even bother trying again...the parts guy seemed totally bored and annoyed he was even having to talk with me. I called like 10 dealers and nobody stocks the segment.

I was hoping to have it today to go riding this weekend, but I absolutely need it by this Thursday(to go home, and then to the NE pizza run). The sooner the better since while I have access to a shop, I have to find time to work on the bike. If anybody can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

-Another quick question: you have to drain the oil to do this, and I'm cheap. This bike has had Mobil 1 Racing 4T run in it since brand new(now at 16k miles). There are about 2k miles on the oil in it. That oil costs $10/quart. I've never been a fan of overpriced synthetics and run regular dino oil in everything. However, I also know that once an engine has "broken it" to a certain oil it is a good idea to keep running it.
Question is...should I keep using the most expensive motor oil available, or switch to what I ran in my Magna(Valvoline 10-40) that costs $2.99/quart. Or just drain the oil into a clean pan and re-use it?

If you bike is on the kickstand you will only have a little oil to clean up. Wont have to drain the oil.
As far as what oil to run just look up the oil thread :biglaugh:
Cheers

Does anyone here have the new segment part in stock? The ass-hats at the local dealer "forgot" to order my parts-after absolutely 100% promising me they would be in by the end of the week. I'm not sure I want to even bother trying again...the parts guy seemed totally bored and annoyed he was even having to talk with me. I called like 10 dealers and nobody stocks the segment.

I was hoping to have it today to go riding this weekend, but I absolutely need it by this Thursday(to go home, and then to the NE pizza run). The sooner the better since while I have access to a shop, I have to find time to work on the bike. If anybody can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

-Another quick question: you have to drain the oil to do this, and I'm cheap. This bike has had Mobil 1 Racing 4T run in it since brand new(now at 16k miles). There are about 2k miles on the oil in it. That oil costs $10/quart. I've never been a fan of overpriced synthetics and run regular dino oil in everything. However, I also know that once an engine has "broken it" to a certain oil it is a good idea to keep running it.
Question is...should I keep using the most expensive motor oil available, or switch to what I ran in my Magna(Valvoline 10-40) that costs $2.99/quart. Or just drain the oil into a clean pan and re-use it?

That was my experience with Sovie's as well.....and I had a Honda.....and they are a Honda full line dealer......

He was also the local Harley dealer for many years.....lost the franchise last year......

Basically......if you are not spending at least $1000.00 you will be ignored:bang head:

There is a dealer in Malone.....not that far away....

dude sean's got one for ya, give him a call, you gotta make the ride man!!!!:punk:

Sean, I sent you a PM. If you have the whole "kit" of the segment+ 6 pins I'll paypal you the money to send it express.

For the record, Sovie's sucks ass. Except for the old guy I talked to, everyone there was rude and seemingly incompetent at using a parts computer.

-Called to order parts last Monday morning at like 11am. They told me the parts guy was at lunch and to call back later, then hung up. Called at 12:30, nobody answered the phone. Called again at 2, gave him the part numbers and he told me they would be in Thursday, Friday at the latest.

-Thursday I call, parts haven't arrived yet. "Tomorrow for sure".

-Friday I call, parts still not there. Now I get some story about it being too late or order monday, and the parts guy has tuesdays off. They were actually ordered Wednesday, and to expect them on monday.

-Monday, -surprise- no parts. I bitch out the annoyed sounding guy on the phone and ask for the manager. Some old guy comes on the phone and was actually polite. Said there was a "mix up" in the parts counter and my parts never got ordered. He said he would immediately order them overnighted and I would have them "for sure" today.

-Today, no parts. Some lady answers the phone, I ask about the parts, and she comes back like 10 minutes later to say "nope, not here yet". I tell here that I was promised they would be in today and were overnighted. Old guy comes on the phone again, saying it's really strange the parts didn't show up and that there "must have been a computer glitch". Said he re-ordered the parts, overnighted again, and "if they don't show up tomorrow something strange is goin' on" I then asked the price of the parts order for the first time.....$98!- "of course we won't charge you for the overnight fees" WTF? Even through Ronnie's it came it at about $70. Talk about dealer markup. I just told him to not bother and hung up on them instead.

I called Sean to order the parts overnighted-even paying some $40 for shipping will work out to be less than what the dealer wanted.

local dealers will def be more than the online guys, keep that in mind.

however i may have found a glitch, one near here's online parts for some things (mainly bolts n such) are like 1/2 the price they are if u call and order. so i just order online and then call and make sure the order got placed. seemed to have worked so far, will know later this week if the parts come in.

Back