Brothers in Arms

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAXXIMUM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my best friends really more of a brother carries a full size 9mm Glock. He is looking for a smaller more concealable everyday carry gun. He owns a small construction company just outside of Orlando and travels a lot for work. Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't carry but have a Glock 19 (compact 9mm) and I thinks its a bit wide to carry. I also have a Star PD (compact 45), it's only 6 shots but its not as wide and I'm partial to 45's.

Everyone is talking large capacity these days but it's really hard to beat a small wheel gun for EDC, .357 packs a decent punch, easily concealable and very dependable....drawback being limited firepower.

Really depends on his assessment of his needs.

Funny, the first thing I told him was to ditch the 9mm and and get a single stack compact .45 or a small revolver in .357. My opinion if you need more than 6 rounds for general personal defense you are in a load of shit and need more than a handgun.

S&W 357 revolver, 7 shot. Model 686 I believe. That one more round might do the trick. I had a Makarov years ago and loved it. Fixed barrel and as reliable as they come. Fairly flat and easy to carry. Lanyard lug can be removed.They can still be bought in new condition. 7 rounds mag,if I recall.

I really like my little Charter Arms 'off duty'....only 5 rds but thin as a dollar and with Crimson Trace Grips I can put 'em where I want 'em....and those .38+P "Treasury Loads" are no joke.

Virginian Dragoon 41mag with bianchi sholder holster (old school and probably too big)- licensed to carry anytime anywhere in the US.

This is why i always feel safe riding with my V-Max brothers, also good question i'm seriously considering a CCW and not sure what to carry

Last edited:
I don't carry but have a Glock 19 (compact 9mm) and I thinks its a bit wide to carry. I also have a Star PD (compact 45), it's only 6 shots but its not as wide and I'm partial to 45's.

I have one of these I carry frequently while riding, with the right holster carrying becomes a non-issue. I'll check the holster tonight and send you the info. I find it to be very comfortable and it was fairly priced.

As for other carry options I have a S&W 640PD which is a pocket .357 and has a crimson trace grip for easy point and click. Kicks like a mule but would be very effective for a short ranged defensive perspective. Holds 5 rounds but you only need one .357 hollow point in center mass to drop even the biggest of adversaries.

EDIT: holster is by Gould and Goodrich.

Last edited:
...licensed to carry anytime anywhere in the US.

I'll drop this here...
Aren't we Americans able to wear a weapon anytime, anywhere without license under the 2nd amendment?

I have a good friend who was a mall cop (about 2007) and he said someone could legally walk into a mall with a massive unconcealed weapon on his side. BUT if it "causes a disturbance" he needs to do something about it.

I hope that doesn't de-rail this conversation.

I love my EAA Witness .45 - 10+1 capacity. I have large hands, so that's OK, but not practical as a daily carry. For a daily carry I may be inclined to use a .357 (minimum .38) or a .40 *reliable* auto. I've read many articles about the .40 successfully stopping a bad situation.

Not a fan of Glock. The handle design seems too much of an angle, where in a desperate situation a quick draw aims the gun up too high.

I carry a ruger p95 in the 45 cal I strongly believe in the big bang theory of getting the attention and destruction of the 45 cal . Big and bulky yep accurate yep . I am shopping for smaller carry but rather keep it in the 45 cal for stopping power.. I also have a kinda drunk friend neighbor out where my property is in WVa that lost a kimber side arm that he said if I find it I can keep it (been a year but still looking )

I'll drop this here...
Aren't we Americans able to wear a weapon anytime, anywhere without license under the 2nd amendment?

You would think that would be the case. But we have 50 states with different laws and ideas. I know it sounds drastic, but the state I live in has gun registration. They know who has them legally, which is little help in solving crime. So, keeping track of the good guys is the plan right now.

I have many carry weapons for different situations from .380 which is questionable to .45's. All are Sub or Super Compact. Most gun fights are within 5 feet. Currently I'm carrying a Diamond Back 9. it's so small it disappears in my front pocket. Diamond Back has a so so reputation but for a little over $300.00 it's been to the range for over 100 rounds. At 21 feet it has the capability of 90% kill shots and performed quite well functionally. It takes several hundred rounds to break in a new firearm of this type. Note: standard velocity 115 grain or less only. It is not made for heavy +P OR +P+ or for heavy bullets. There are no frills, it has no latches or safeties ll to maintain it's .380 size for a 9mm. It's a compromise that I an Live with. Extra magazines are scarce and expensive, that's a drawback.

I'll drop this here...

You would think that would be the case. But we have 50 states with different laws and ideas. I know it sounds drastic, but the state I live in has gun registration. They know who has them legally, which is little help in solving crime. [U]So, keeping track of the [/U]good guys is the plan right now.

Sure , guns obtained illegally by criminals are hard to track, AND people intent on crime will always be able to get them. No argument on that point from me.
However, sometimes good guys turn bad, consequently if they obtained their guns legally, they can be tracked back to the original purchaser. Isn't this what happened in the recent California mass shooting? Remember, when the assault rifles were purchased, the buyer was a"good guy", and had passed the checks required., Then he was radicalized, and turned into a "bad guy".
Cheers!

Sure , guns obtained illegally by criminals are hard to track, AND people intent on crime will always be able to get them. No argument on that point from me.
However, sometimes good guys turn bad, consequently if they obtained their guns legally, they can be tracked back to the original purchaser. Isn't this what happened in the recent California mass shooting? Remember, when the assault rifles were purchased, the buyer was a"good guy", and had passed the checks required., Then he was radicalized, and turned into a "bad guy".
Cheers!

The guy is being brought up on charges. He was never a good guy.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/1...ct-friend-who-bought-guns-for-san-bernardino/ sorry for the hi-jack

Cheers!

Unfortunately the shooter, the "bad guy" has been radicalized for about 2 years, as learned by his chat history. The purchase for the AR-15's was done by the neighbor and then given to Farook. They actually discussed an attack in 2012, but decided against it.

That is considered a "straw" purchase.....and is also against the law.

This article goes a bit more into the dynamics of it.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/1...ct-friend-who-bought-guns-for-san-bernardino/

Cheers!

I don't know Miles....guns aside....was the CA guy actually a 'good guy' when he purchased the rifles or was he a 'bad guy' in 'good guy' clothing? I think we need to be very careful about attaching labels....we're big on that in this country and once we get someone labeled then we can fit them in a nice little slot and deal with them according to the protocol of that label.

My definition of a terrorist.....anyone who picks up a weapon with the intent of harming an innocent....period! The weapon could be a gun, knife, club, hammer, fist....whatever, if your intention is to visit terror on an innocent....then you're a terrorist in my book.

I've heard this term straw purchase many times recently so decided to look it up: still don't know where the 'straw' part comes from tho....:confused2:

A straw purchase or nominee purchase is any purchase wherein an agent agrees to acquire a good or service for someone who is unable or unwilling to purchase the good or service themselves, and the agent transfers the goods/services to that person after purchasing them. In general, straw purchases are legal except in cases where the ultimate receiver of goods or services uses those goods or services in the commission of a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser, or if the ultimate possessor is not legally able to purchase the goods/services. In some jurisdictions straw purchases are legal in spite of the fact that the end user is not legally able to purchase the good or service him or herself

I will throw my $0.02 in on this.

If your buddy is moving from a full size 9mm to something more compact then I would highly recommend either a Springfield XDs in either 9mm or 45 or a Ruger LC9s pro. My personal carry is the XDs in 45, however I would not have any hesitation about the LC9s-Pro. I have tried Glocks in the past, however I have always felt they were too wide in the slide, at least on my frame. The XDs simply disappears under an untucked shirt and carries comfortably all day. Part of its concealability is the single stack design. Similar to a Glock 36. To top off, mine has been 100% reliable with everything I have fed it, including +P rounds down to semi wadcutter lead target rounds.

Latest posts

Back