1st Gen V-Max Brought home a 2001 VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easydrifter

Reaction score
VMax Year
I got this VMax for $2,900. Starts right up and runs strong. The back tire had a wire and a screw in it so I got a Pirelli off of Amazon and mounted and balanced it myself (broke the bead by jumping on a square nosed shovel). It has a 4 into 1 Kirker on it and had a little backfiring. I think it was running a little lean by looking at the plugs which I replaced. The little T-shaped cover over the aircleaner was missing so I got one off of ebay and that took care of most of the popping. I synced the carbs and adjusted the idle jets so she's pretty smooth now. Yah Hoo !20210819_092006.jpg

As clean a bike as I've seen here, and you got some great upgrades: exhaust, frame stiffeners, windshield appears to be OEM; the backrest, case-savers by the front engine mounts, and a useful luggage rack. Plus the price was a steal with those upgrades, I'd expect a stock bike without those accessories and that-clean, to be selling for that kinda-$. You did well. Change-out the fuel filter, if you haven't already done-so, take the standard one with you to a local auto parts store, and you should be able to find a similar-sized replacement for $10 or less, the OEM one is about $23, you don't need to spend that much. Take a look inside the fuel filler with a strong flashlight, and inform us what you see on the sides and floor of the tank.

Post your location below your avatar so we know where you are. Here are a couple links for your use. Save the service manual on your computer, and print-out a copy, and put it into a 3-ring binder for garage/shop use.

(79) New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net)

Last edited:
Congratulations from a fellow 2001 owner!

Still getting used to mine and finally discovered what the V Boost was all about, coming back from getting some gas the other day, it was a wonderful Holy Crap moment of surprise! 😁

I have done some personal mods to mine, like add forward controls to make the leg position more comfortable, and I am planning on doing some seat modifications to it and make it more comfortable. But doing that myself not buying a new seat, I previously owned a 1987 Honda Magna and cut its seat down and modified it to make it long ride comfortable and I believe the same can be done to this V Max.

Anyway, Be Safe out there! Ry

Last edited:
Congratulations from a fellow 2001 owner!

Still getting used to mine and finally discovered what the V Boost was all about, coming back from getting some gas the other day, it was a wonderful Holy Crap moment of surprise! 😁

I have done some personal mods to mine, like add forward controls to make the leg position more comfortable, and I am planning on doing some seat modifications to it and make it more comfortable. But doing that myself not buying a new seat, I previously owned a 1987 Honda Magna and cut its seat down and modified it to make it long ride comfortable and I believe the same can be done to this V Max.

Anyway, Be Safe out there! Ry

Yeh the V-boost is awesome, only after it kicks in its hard to take your eyes off of the road long enough to look down at the tac and it hits the red line very quickly. Going way back I also had an 82 V45 Magna and had to upgrade the seat to a more comfortable one. Love them V-4s.

As clean a bike as I've seen here, and you got some great upgrades: exhaust, frame stiffeners, windshield appears to be OEM; the backrest, case-savers by the front engine mounts, and a useful luggage rack. Plus the price was a steal with those upgrades, I'd expect a stock bike without those accessories and that-clean, to be selling for that kinda-$. You did well. Change-out the fuel filter, if you haven't already done-so, take the standard one with you to a local auto parts store, and you should be able to find a similar-sized replacement for $10 or less, the OEM one is about $23, you don't need to spend that much. Take a look inside the fuel filler with a strong flashlight, and inform us what you see on the sides and floor of the tank.

Post your location below your avatar so we know where you are. Here are a couple links for your use. Save the service manual on your computer, and print-out a copy, and put it into a 3-ring binder for garage/shop use.

(79) New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net)
Thanks for the tip on the fuel filter, I was wondering where to get one. First thing I did was get a Haynes repair manual on it.

Looks good! What is front tire manufacturing date? English law is 6 years.

I believe the Michelin tire on front is dated 2012 but you know what? It looks good to me so I'll ride on it for awhile longer. I don't know much about the laws here in Arizona but I do know helmets are not required here. How about that? Also you can walk into a Department store with a loaded pistol strapped on your hip if you want and nobody cares, but I don't do that personally never felt the need. Of course i will have a new front tire someday. Thanks for the interest.

Not sure who told you that but only law I'm aware of is that minibuses, buses and heavy goods vehicles over a certain weight cannot be fitted with tyres 10 years old or older.
IIRC law came about after a coach crash killing several people.

Means owners of vintage cars and motorcycles can continue to use them, especially since original style tyres are hard to find.

You know when I was shopping on Amazon I would have ordered a new front tire to match the rear but in the Pirelli MT66 Route line of tires they didn't have a 110/90/18, only a 100/90/18. Question: do you think a 100/90/18 would be too skinny on the front of a VMax or it really wouldn't make that much difference? I'll say one thing, when I sit on that VMax it just feels "Right"

You know when I was shopping on Amazon I would have ordered a new front tire to match the rear but in the Pirelli MT66 Route line of tires they didn't have a 110/90/18, only a 100/90/18. Question: do you think a 100/90/18 would be too skinny on the front of a VMax or it really wouldn't make that much difference? I'll say one thing, when I sit on that VMax it just feels "Right"
Read this: (78) Hi all , front tyre size, Took my bike to the shop for a new front tyre. | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Latest posts

Back