Brown wire in headlight bucket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelly317

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the brown main power wire in the headlight bucket shorting out and corroded only had a couple strains of wire left would make my fuel pump intermittent? I looked at wire diagram and couldn't figure out how there connect. But I know when that fuse blows the fuel pump stops working

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=donnelly317;405709]Can anyone tell me if the brown main power wire in the headlight bucket shorting out and corroded only had a couple strains of wire left would make my fuel pump intermittent? I looked at wire diagram and couldn't figure out how there connect. But I know when that fuse blows the fuel pump stops working

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

The brown wire in the headlight bucket is the power wire for the left front turn signal. A short in this wire should blow the 10 amp "signal" fuse.
The fuel pump is protected by the 10 amp "ignition" fuse.

Has the wiring on your bike been altered, maybe by a previous owner?
Cheers!

Not altered I don't have my cover to fuse block so I can't even remember which one was originally blowing. Now I'm trying to figure out why my dam v boost motor isn't moving it's stuck open

Worst case scenario, you can always get help at Thunder of you don't get it figured out.
Just having other Vmaxes to look at may help some.

PS
Do you need me to go out and take a picture of my fuse box cover ?

Here's a picture of the Fuses and cover.
attachment.php

I got it from this full color service manual:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55030067/1985-2007 Yamaha VMX1200 V-MAX CP Manual.pdf

Attachments

• Vmax-Fuses.jpg
    Vmax-Fuses.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 54
I tried to copy the schmatic/ diagram from the book I have. It looks good at my house but is too big for my scanner, ends up the picture doesn't do it justice. But take a look and follow the wire you asking about. They are color coded. I will take it in to my old office and see if I can scan it there tomorrow maybe.. I did this because I have been troubleshooting my electrical also.. I found my short dealing with my turnsignal fuse/ it was a common wire it shares with the horn...

Attachments

• schmatic.jpg
    schmatic.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 17
  • short.jpg
    short.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 14
James,
I wouldn't worry too much about scanning it.
The electronic version of the service manual has that electrical diaghram at the end of the Electrical Chaper 7.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55030067/VMX12%20Service%20Manual.pdf

And here's the 1985-1989 specific wiring diaghram Serice Manual Supplment:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55030067/VMax 85-89 Wiring Diagram Rev A.pdf

Both those can be zoomed in on, so the wiring and color codes are easily visible.
I did it up at my house just to have while i was out in the shed and I could cross off what was good and what wasn't ...

^ That works James.
I just didn't want you to waste a lot of time on something that's already available online.

Back