Building cop harnesses. Can't find wiring

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unfairlane

Reaction score
Hello, I'm building cop harnesses for my bike and I can't find a diagram for how to wire the plugs up. I'm using the stub ends off my old coils and have new plugs with pins. Only thing I seem to come up with are install instructions for pre built cop harnesses. Thank in advance.

You are using the connectors in the loom that go to the coils?
You need four Hitachi type connectors and use the half that fits the loom.
They have two pins and the two wires from the CoP's go into the connector. It doesn't matter which way you wire them but the attached shows how they are on an R1.

R1-COP-Wiring.jpg

Not sure if that answers your question?

You are using the connectors in the loom that go to the coils?
You need four Hitachi type connectors and use the half that fits the loom.
They have two pins and the two wires from the CoP's go into the connector. It doesn't matter which way you wire them but the attached shows how they are on an R1.

View attachment 84918

Not sure if that answers your question?
Yes, that answers it. I already have new connectors for the coils. I didn't think the connection would matter since they are just a coil, but wanted to make sure, thanks.

Note that some advocate inserting a resistor in the circuit so that as far as the Ignition Control Unit id concerned there is still the same resistance as the OE coils.
The perceived wisdom is that this is necessary for the original ICU but not the latter.
'Fraid I don't have any data on the value of the resistor; perhaps someone else has it?

If your chosen resistor cannot handle the current, you can still end-up with a damaged ECU when the resistor pukes (fails).

Back