• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Motorycle For Sale burgundy 85 needs work

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenfun

Reaction score
I guess it's about time to move this bike along, it's sat way too long.

Last time it started was about 20 years ago. It's sat most of that inside until about 2-3 years ago (It was under a tarp, but that's now worn through).

And now it's getting slowly swallowed up by blackberries. It needs a new home.

Burgundy. All stock, including the exhaust.

I remember having issue charging when it was parked. It certainly has more issues now. But aside from the charging it ran great before being parked.

One mirror was broken off, falling over at a dead stop. Broke the mount off the brake handle thingy majjigger.

38,000 miles.

Still have the title and keys (and the mirror that broke off, and I think even the original tool kit under the seat maybe).

Seattle, WA area. Have a truck and can tow it. (currently stored on a trailer, but not sure how road worthy that trailer is...)

I'd be really happy with $1000 for it... I know it needs work, parts, materials, etc. but is all there, complete, and still assembled. Neglected, but not torn apart with pieces missing.

Is it on the '85 registry? What are the last 4 digits of the VIN? Does the engine serial # match the VIN? I think some PNW person on here needs to save this. Like all non-runners, 'money talks.'

Some (good, in-focus) pics of the 'heap' will help generate interest. Does the engine turn-over? Remove the left-front engine case side cover (the one with the two allen-head screws), and throw a socket wrench on-there, and tell us if the engine's capable of turning-over. Making a bit of a batch of ATF and acetone, and putting a few cc's in each spark plug hole will help things along.

Those pics, don't just take 'em from 20 ft away, and standing-tall by the bike. Squat-down next-to it. Take some good, clear pics of the entire bike, and from each side, then take left-front and left-rear, and right-front and left-rear (so someone can zoom-in to get a sense of the decrepitude the blackberries are doing to it). A couple pics of the front and the rear, and a pic of the faux gas tank cover, gauges, and speedo area. Same for the rear of the bike. Show it for what it is.

A thousand dollars for a 'pig in a poke' sitting for the past 20 years is an optimistic price, but you've been forthright about how-long it's been sitting. Get some pics up and see who may bite.

Last edited:
$1000 dollars for a bike left outdoors being overgrown with weeds that hasn't started in 20 years is a very tall ask. If I were you I'd lower my expectations rather dramatically.

If it was running but had a broken second-gear, that's more-like the pricing I would expect to see. Non-operational, I suspect you're going to be about half of your asking price. What is the last four of that VIN?

Is it on the '85 registry? What are the last 4 digits of the VIN? Does the engine serial # match the VIN? I think some PNW person on here needs to save this. Like all non-runners, 'money talks.'

Some (good, in-focus) pics of the 'heap' will help generate interest. Does the engine turn-over? Remove the left-front engine case side cover (the one with the two allen-head screws), and throw a socket wrench on-there, and tell us if the engine's capable of turning-over. Making a bit of a batch of ATF and acetone, and putting a few cc's in each spark plug hole will help things along.

Those pics, don't just take 'em from 20 ft away, and standing-tall by the bike. Squat-down next-to it. Take some good, clear pics of the entire bike, and from each side, then take left-front and left-rear, and right-front and left-rear (so someone can zoom-in to get a sense of the decrepitude the blackberries are doing to it). A couple pics of the front and the rear, and a pic of the faux gas tank cover, gauges, and speedo area. Same for the rear of the bike. Show it for what it is.

A thousand dollars for a 'pig in a poke' sitting for the past 20 years is an optimistic price, but you've been forthright about how-long it's been sitting. Get some pics up and see who may bite.

Only the last maybe 2 years has been outside, but the blackberries do grow fast.

I'm not aware of any registry, having owned it since the '90's, I'd assume that it's not.

I do understand $1000 is probably high, haven't really found anything to compare. But am trying to avoid the taking time to pull off the trailer for pictures and see if it turns over, etc.

For some reason the images didn't attach, hope I do it right this time.PXL_20210824_181556046.jpgPXL_20210824_181559743.jpgPXL_20210824_181611625.jpg

I'd be willing to come and "save it" if it is a give away, have my own truck and trailer.

Only the last maybe 2 years has been outside, but the blackberries do grow fast.

I'm not aware of any registry, having owned it since the '90's, I'd assume that it's not.

I do understand $1000 is probably high, haven't really found anything to compare. But am trying to avoid the taking time to pull off the trailer for pictures and see if it turns over, etc.

For some reason the images didn't attach, hope I do it right this time.View attachment 79254View attachment 79255View attachment 79256
Where are you located? Please
Phil

Seller is correct. That bike has not suffered too badly from exposure. Cosmetically appears well preserved. Looks like it would clean up nicely.

Mechanical needs are another kettle of fish.
Not "too bad" but I see lots of the white corrosion on the cases which I am still trying to figure out on mine how to remove. that stuff is pretty resilient and I fear it will need a full tear down, sandblasting and re-paint (on mine). I've tried multiple "products", cleaners, vinegar, CLR and nothing touches it except good old scotch brite pads and elbow grease. I am curious why it was set aside in the first place, charging issue probably means stator and being an 85 it may have a blown second gear. It is tempting as I'm 4 hrs from the Seattle area.

Not "too bad" but I see lots of the white corrosion on the cases which I am still trying to figure out on mine how to remove.
Mix together some baking soda and water. You want it the consistency of paste. Then use a basing brush or cheap small paint brush and brush it on thick to the effected metal. Let it sit there for about 45 minutes to an hour and rinse it off.

It doesn't always get rid of all of it, but it helps depending on how bad it is.

WD 40 works as well if it's not too advanced a case.

I block off all the openings and Sandblast the engine out of the frame. Do you have a pic of the last four digits of the VIN?

Not "too bad" but I see lots of the white corrosion on the cases which I am still trying to figure out on mine how to remove. that stuff is pretty resilient and I fear it will need a full tear down, sandblasting and re-paint (on mine). I've tried multiple "products", cleaners, vinegar, CLR and nothing touches it except good old scotch brite pads and elbow grease. I am curious why it was set aside in the first place, charging issue probably means stator and being an 85 it may have a blown second gear. It is tempting as I'm 4 hrs from the Seattle area.

I did notice white corrosion near the cylinders. It's not something I noticed before, maybe just didn't notice. It was stored 20 years, but most of that inside.

I do have to pull this thing out of the weeds sooner or later, and if someone is seriously interested will (driving 4 hours is pretty serious) and get better pictures first. But as soon as I do it's "in the way"....

When I bought and was riding it I lived in an apartment in downtown Seattle. And owned a pretty limited tool kit. Working on it in the parking garage wasn't a great option. The second or third time it was back to the shop cause the battery kept going dead, I was riding it less and less, because getting stuck places sucked. Winter came, got married, had kids, moved to a suburbs and after 10 years finally needed space in the garage.

The previous owner and the shop kept telling me it was a bad ground. Dunno why they couldn't fix? I cleaned it several times, but that was about as complicated a job as I wanted to start in my apartment's parking garage. And it still kept dying.

I have seen running bikes advertised for $2k and have also seen smaller collections of part for $500. It's somewhere between that...

Mix together some baking soda and water. You want it the consistency of paste. Then use a basing brush or cheap small paint brush and brush it on thick to the effected metal. Let it sit there for about 45 minutes to an hour and rinse it off.

It doesn't always get rid of all of it, but it helps depending on how bad it is.

WD 40 works as well if it's not too advanced a case.
Im gonna try the Soda paste, took before pics and will post both before n after:) I'm hopeful! It is slathered on really thick and waiting an hour:)

I block off all the openings and Sandblast the engine out of the frame. Do you have a pic of the last four digits of the VIN?
0930 is on the title.

I realize I would have to pull it far enough out of the weeds to show anyone interested, am not interested in doing that just to take pictures and put it back.

I'm a firm believer in reducing waste so anything that can be saved /restored should be rather than scrapped.

This is a project that is gonna need a lot of work but could be done low budget.

If you don't have the time, inclination or money to get it back on the road, rather than having it languishing amongst the weeds, stick it on ebay, starting at 500 and let it go.

If you don't have the time, inclination or money to get it back on the road, rather than having it languishing amongst the weeds, stick it on ebay, starting at 500 and let it go.
In that condition, I'd put a reserve of 250 on it, buyer picks it up and let it go. You start at 500 you're not going to get a single bid.

Sure starting at 500 may result in 0 bids but there's many ways to do it.
Over here listing on ebay with a reserve costs.

Back