burning a little oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montana vmax

Reaction score
Hey all, I rode my 04 max for a bit over 500 miles this weekend and noticed my oil was bit low. I added probably 6-8 oz. I was riding 80-90 mph+ for about 400 mi is this normal? Doesn't seem to smoke or anything. any input is appreciated, thanks.

Mine uses a little oil also. Never paid much mind to how much, just keep’er topped off and feed’er good fuel. Higher mileage bike?

In the 34 years I've owned my '85, I've never had to add oil. But I've never gone much more than 2,000 miles on a change.

135,000 miles.

Last edited:
Off topic, Who was it that said using a small amount of "low ash" 2-stroke oil would limit tank rust?

Off topic, Who was it that said using a small amount of "low ash" 2-stroke oil would limit tank rust?

Never heard of that. If I were to do that, I would use the maxima 927 or klotz. Something with castor bean oil. Had some AV gas (100LL) mixed with 927 left over after the kid sold his race bike. Even diluted with regular, the max smelled amazing for a tank. Like an old school mx race.

You may not be burning oil but loosing it.
If I hit the throttle real hard, you know acting like a nut, oil can be pushed up into the airbox. This hard hit also turns on the oil light .
One of those stupid pet tricks
Bob Vmax from New Hampshire

my 03 burnt a little bit of oil. I was doing about 15k miles a year or so when I had it. I changed my oil spring, mid summer, and fall. I would occasionally add oil when I was cleaning it in the garage.

Latest posts

Back