burning oil smell

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16790

Reaction score
when I stop my bike at traffic lights or junctions I get a smell of burning oil like it is dripping on the exhausts, when I had a look there are no oil leaks visible, I did have the shop do an oil change for me and thought maybe there is residue somewhere but after 122 miles the smell is still happening, could it be from the engine breather ?

Assuming the breather hasn't been modified then I would say no as any crankcase fumes are being fed into the carbs.
Perhaps giving the motor a wash down with a decreasing agent might help?

I had the same symptoms just recently, both valve covers were leaking (2002 vmx1200) on to the exhaust.
Changing the valve cover gaskets is a PITA but I took the opportunity to change all of the coolant hoses and re-paint/polish/clear-coat the valve covers...looks so much better!

thanks for the replies, there are no signs of any oil leaks, the engine is completely dry, no visible exhaust smoke either and a friend who followed closely could smell no oil, but I stop and within about 5 seconds I start to smell hot/burning oil, all I can think of is the engine breather causing it

ps. I'll take a picture of the smell :D

...there are no signs of any oil leaks... the engine is completely dry... no visible exhaust smoke... and a friend who followed closely could smell no oil, but I stop and within about 5 seconds I start to smell hot/burning oil, all I can think of is the engine breather causing it

Assuming the breather is working as intended then I don't see how that is possible as any fumes will be re-circulated and burnt during the combustion process.

I'll have to check to see if the tubes are split or not fitting properly

problem fixed, the engine breather hose was not attached to the airbox, and seeing as how awkward it is to reattach I'm not surprised a previous person didn't do it, how pleasant it is to smell the roses :p
thank you for your advice

problem fixed, the engine breather hose was not attached to the airbox, and seeing as how awkward it is to reattach I'm not surprised a previous person didn't do it, how pleasant it is to smell the roses :p
thank you for your advice

You are welcome. Took the airbox off of my bike to look at carbs and some video, put airbox on, had heavy oil smell with no leaks. Take box off inspected carefully, found the folly of my ways. Keep the shiny side up and enjoy.

Back