Burnt coil wires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdrrock

Reaction score
My name is Robert and I live in Rhode Island
Hello men! I'm new to the forum and bought my Vmax in November. I only managed to put 300 miles on it before I took it apart to do some Winter restoration. It's a 2004 with 5,900 miles on it. It ran great after I replaced some bad gas. After getting it stripped down about half way, I noticed these burnt marks on the 1 and 3 coil wires. Also some burnt marks on the #3 plug and the wires going into it. Has anybody ever seen such marks before? Seems odd. Big shout out to Sean for use of the kit.

Attachments

• IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1502.jpg
    IMG_1502.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1503.jpg
    IMG_1503.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 40
Weird. Looks, to me, like someone, at one time or other, had another wire lying across those, and it maybe smoked due to a direct ground. And when it did, it heated up those wires where it crossed them. I don't know why else they'd heat up like that a couple inches away from where a coil would heat, if a coil were to ever run that hot.

Maybe they unbolted it w/o unhooking the battery, tried to lay it out of the way and caused a direct short. Looks like the center wire to the relay has been replaced at one time.

Is that burn residue on their mounting plate as well?

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Yep like a dead short wire melted thru it's insulation & then tried to do the same w/the hot wire to those harness wires. I'd wrap those after a close inspection for integrity of insulation.

I looked at them through a magnifying glass. The insulation is still in tack. I wrapped them. I can see someone laying a screwdriver across the wires and shorting out on the battery. Thanks! Hey NK. Maybe we can ride someday.

Back