Busa first track run VERY DISAPPOINTING

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
Made my first runs. Bike was running really bad the day before. But seemed to clear up Sunday morning, so I loaded it up and headed out. My first pass the air shifter hung up. Came back to the pits and the air preasure gauge was broke. So I just filled it up and hoped it was full enough next pass. Bike ran somewhat strong but missing 3rd and just not feeling good I figures a low 10 second run. My jaw dropped when I saw a 11.11@134 mph. Not happy. Next run was 11.20 and even slower with problems. Third run was 10.97 at 124 mph. It wouldn't pull past 7000 rpm. I tried to pull it up to 10500 but it just wouldn't go. It was dead after 8000. It barely ran also. One more pass and I figured if its no better, I am going home. Couldnt pull 122 mph..... I was pissed. I told my wife I am selling it!

Well come gome monday morning and find the air intake off the turbo came off!. How the hell that happened I don't know.

So I am putting in new plugs and getting a new plenum gasket with air intake rubbers.

I ll make another atttempt

Is that solving your rpm issue.....that sucks when they won't run just right.....

Truely sorry to hear of your dissapointment, Been there! BUT boy would I have liked to be the guy on my GEN II next to you!

Did it lift the plenum? That is not uncommon under boost. There should be metal straps holding it down, perhaps bolted to the frame.

Sport Rider invited a guy I know from south Florida, Mark Moisan, to CA to run in their UFO contest-street riding, dragstrip, and top-speed runs. The bikes had to be ostensibly 'street-legal.' They had to run a street loop and not break-down to be able to compete. Lots of tuners were there. Some tuned for the strip, some for the top-end, others did it for all-around use.

Mark and a friend had built a GSXR1100 turbo bike. Bear in-mind this was back in the early/mid 1990's.

His bike as a dragstrip terror wasn't a record-setter because of its short wheelbase, but on the top speed test, he beat everyone, w/a 229 mph run which would have been faster, but he blew the intake apart from the boosted pressure. When he turned the boost down, his wife often rode it to local south FL bike nights.

MARK MOISAN’S SUZUKI GSX-R1100 TURBO

The late 1990s saw a succession of outrageously powerful turbo bikes from two rival engineers, Florida’s Mark Moisan and Texan Terry Kizer, boss of Mr Turbo. Moisan’s GSX-R1100 was dyno tested at over 400bhp.
Photo ? Roland Brown
http://www.motobike.net/gallery/special_bikes.php

You're gonna get it there, just methodically work-out the issues and you'll be having fun. Fast fun!

OR, I have an all motor bike that runs in the 8's at our crappy track. Getting ready to go again this weekend. IF you really wanted to go even faster this engine will let you put nitrous on. Not sure you can get a 7 second pass out of it but for sure be knocking on the door.

Shit breaks bud, I'm sure you'll fix it... If it hooks and you do your part it should run mid to upper 8's... Watch those roll on burnouts on the street, it'll stretch the shit out of your chain in a hurry...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Its still popping and not running too well. I just put plugs in it and redid the plenum gasket and the inlet rubber.

I am not 100% sure at this point. I haven't had time to mess with it too much. I might try and play a little tomorrow if weather is nice.

If shit happens I ll either

A. Sell it and pocket the cash

B. Sell it and the Vmax, along with my other Busa and buy a 2014 Busa and turbo that.

C Build the living shit out of it and have a solid 7 second street bike......

Well I am thinking I ll just try and get it running good first and see what happens. I am just bummed for now.

Todd

Its still popping and not running too well. I just put plugs in it and redid the plenum gasket and the inlet rubber.

I am not 100% sure at this point. I haven't had time to mess with it too much. I might try and play a little tomorrow if weather is nice.

If shit happens I ll either

A. Sell it and pocket the cash

B. Sell it and the Vmax, along with my other Busa and buy a 2014 Busa and turbo that.

C Build the living shit out of it and have a solid 7 second street bike......

Well I am thinking I ll just try and get it running good first and see what happens. I am just bummed for now.

Todd

Are you running a sparkplug gap recommended by the turbo kit company? Too large a gap can be a problem under boost......smaller gap than stock is necessary.

Agreed. Maybe do a quick compression test and make sure it's good to go there. I'd estimate a gap of .020-.022" should be the target range. Wider then that and the boost will actually "blow out" the spark due to compression.

Sean

Latest posts

Back