Busted bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
:bang head:

The first time really going anywhere on my bike and now it's down again.

I took my bike to Vmoa tech day for the ride coming up and let somebody I trust take it for a spin. The tranny is now roasted, pulled the clutch basket to get a peek and you can see some torn up gears in there.:bang head::bang head:

I don't blame the guy, he felt terrible. I told him I've been beating the crap out of this bike for years and he just happened to ride it at the wrong time. I don't consider it his fault, tho' I doubt I'll ever let anyone ride it ever again.:confused2:

Time for a tranny re build now.......Already been talking to Sean.:punk:

Good news....

Got to ride a 'Busa home for the week, and will ride the 'Busa to Bandera for our ride next week, so at least I'm not missing the trip to Bandera. I'm already in love with it....So quite, so smooth, and so POWERFUL...WOW:biglaugh:

three-bird-smiley-face_large.jpg

not an entire loss, eh? guess it "wasn't meant to be". you were meant to take 'busa.

shit that sucks. 1500 conversion do i hear?

I've been thinking about a spare engine for these times.. But then I do have a spare VMax so I guess It's covered.

Sorry to hear that the tranny blew up on your friend. That's the way things happen though.:sad2:

Aww geez Rusty, sorry to hear about the trans, that sux! I know you were looking forward to this ride on your Vmax, at least you will get to go. :confused2:
I take it that it's Micheal's Busa you're going on? I really would like to ride with ya'll out there in Bandera someday/ somehow, the roads look superb!

We've got a busa for sale! I am also in engine prep mode to get some of the engines I have sitting around here ready for quick shipping. Years and prices will vary. First up on the block will be a 1989 that put out 127rwhp with stage seven and hindle.

I learned LONG ago, not to let people ride my stuff, and vice-versa.

It'll be better than new now at least. It's A LOT of work, but it'll be worth it.

Chris

Sorry about your bike . It was a nice gesture to let someone ride your bike . I've been riding a long time . If I let someone ride one of my bikes , they know , before they throw a leg over , you break it , you fix it . I would do the same if I broke anothers bike .

Yeah it is Michael Hansens 'Busa, he very graciously offered it to me. He is a real asset to the VMOA and a great guy.

I will add that I ASKED the guy to ride my Vmax, he's sorta of our two legged dyno machine and I wanted his opinion. He in no way was bugging me to ride it or anything. It was 100% my doing. I feel sorry for him that he feels so terrible about it.

With a kid in college I don't think a 1500 or any engine mods are in the books for now after checking prices. The engine has 42000 miles right now, so is pretty much OK. Think I'm just going to do a tranny repair with Seans help in the parts department probably, and a 5th gear conversion.

It does look like my shift forks and drum are all good, I've got the updated drum. Might get by with just a few gears unless I elect to go with an undercut jOB. Guess I should inspect the shafts for run out too??

Sean;

What does an undercut really do? And benefits? Is it the gear teeth being modified or is it the profile of the dogs on the side of the gears? And am I correct in thinking that the gears never "unmesh" (constant mesh transmission???) but simply slide back and forth engaging the dogs with the holes in the side of the gear next to it?

And yes, I am looking forward to doing Bandera on a 'Busa. Anyone that's never done the Three Sisters (Texas Ranch Roads 335, 336, & 337) in Texas should if you ever have the chance. I'm told it's only behind the Dragon and Euraka Springs in Ark.

Thanks!

Rusty

And yes, I am looking forward to doing Bandera on a 'Busa. Anyone that's never done the Three Sisters (Texas Ranch Roads 335, 336, & 337) in Texas should if you ever have the chance. I'm told it's only behind the Dragon and Euraka Springs in Ark.

Thanks!

Rusty

I have ridden all those roads on a bike and would like to add Talihina AR in there. I think it is second behind Deals Gap (Dragon). More scenic and less technical but beautiful. Blue Ridge Parkway is also a great ride in more of a scenic mode. Also, Big Bend to Presidio along the Rio Grand is great. There are many great roads in this country, many lesser known.

I don't mind anyone riding my bikes since there is no way in hell they are going to run it any harder then I do. If it breaks on them it was going to break on me leaving the driveway. BUT, I warn every person that wants me to ride their bike what could happen. I have to get clarification what they want me to look for. I can ride it easy but it's only under extreme duress that problems will show up.

The undercut transmission does a few things.

First, the ramp angle that is on the dogs (which is what we have) is increased. So, the gears will pull into themselves quicker and more positively. Now, you can't just go cutting the dogs and expect them to be good. If you have a heavily worn dog then undercutting it will make it look and function well in the short term. But, by cutting it the depth it would need actually cuts past the "crust" of the gear which is where the hardness of the gear is. So, now it's a softer metal and will wear out sooner.

When we have those situations (which is average of 2 per transmission) we do a "hard" weld to the gear and then recut it. This leaves the thicker crust and also leaves the base of the dog thicker for more strength.

2) The undercut when done properly makes the dogs engage at the same time. So, the load of holding in gear is spread equally between all the dogs and not more load on one over the other. Yamaha (and the others are the same way) do more of a production tolerance that leaves a little to be desired. This means they make the gears universal and can be taken out of the bin and put into any transmission.

Our undercut is done with precision and perfectly to the mating gear (which is also cut). So, if for some reason you have a failure we'd need to recut the new gear to make it match up again.

This is just a few of the reasons not all transmission undercuts are not the same and why ours seems a bit more expensive then other shops. Keep in mind many shops like PCW only undercut 2nd and 3rd gear while we cut them all. It's a bit more expensive but worth it in the long run.

Sean

I don't mind anyone riding my bikes since there is no way in hell they are going to run it any harder then I do. If it breaks on them it was going to break on me leaving the driveway. BUT, I warn every person that wants me to ride their bike what could happen. I have to get clarification what they want me to look for. I can ride it easy but it's only under extreme duress that problems will show up.

The undercut transmission does a few things.

First, the ramp angle that is on the dogs (which is what we have) is increased. So, the gears will pull into themselves quicker and more positively. Now, you can't just go cutting the dogs and expect them to be good. If you have a heavily worn dog then undercutting it will make it look and function well in the short term. But, by cutting it the depth it would need actually cuts past the "crust" of the gear which is where the hardness of the gear is. So, now it's a softer metal and will wear out sooner.

When we have those situations (which is average of 2 per transmission) we do a "hard" weld to the gear and then recut it. This leaves the thicker crust and also leaves the base of the dog thicker for more strength.

2) The undercut when done properly makes the dogs engage at the same time. So, the load of holding in gear is spread equally between all the dogs and not more load on one over the other. Yamaha (and the others are the same way) do more of a production tolerance that leaves a little to be desired. This means they make the gears universal and can be taken out of the bin and put into any transmission.

Our undercut is done with precision and perfectly to the mating gear (which is also cut). So, if for some reason you have a failure we'd need to recut the new gear to make it match up again.

This is just a few of the reasons not all transmission undercuts are not the same and why ours seems a bit more expensive then other shops. Keep in mind many shops like PCW only undercut 2nd and 3rd gear while we cut them all. It's a bit more expensive but worth it in the long run.

Sean

Thanks for the explanation.I guess in laymans terms the undercutting helps to avoid missed shifts which do a lot of damage..?? Since it "pulls in" with little force or help?

Correct. The factory gears do have an undercut in them already. We just increase it and make them match perfectly. It's impossible for the rider no matter how fast they thing they shift to move the gear the entire distance (about .250") needed to fully seat the gears before it's grabbing the dogs.

Back