Buy a VMax, what to look for

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilD

Reaction score
Hi, first post here. Getting a Vmax soon, looking around for a used one. Any problem areas to be aware of and is any one year better than another? Looking at an 86 next week, thats the only local one, and might travel next weekend to look at a few more. BTW I'm been hot rodding/drag racing cars since the mid 80's so mechanical stuff is nothing new to me. Havn't had a bike for a few yars and am itcing to get one. If I can't find a suitable Vmax i migh got ZRX1200.

The ZRX is more durable if you are going to beat on it, and better handling but not nearly as fun to ride/own!

The newer the better but no real difference that would make me buy one year over another.

The 93+ had better forks and brakes. The 96+ had the strongest engine cases (readily id'd by the spin on oil filter). The 99's had the most current trans parts (easily added to the earlier years). Output is virtualy identical for all the years.

Sean

I just bought an 85 on ebay earlier this month.

The things to look for especially on an older bike would be things like gas tank rust, popping out of 2nd gear, any leaks and of course regular maint.

I was unable to view my bike but once I got it there were plenty of little things that never received attenton.

I had dead mice my airbox, rust in my tank, bald rear tire, no brake fluid at all for the front brakes, no brake pads left on the rear and oil that was blacker than a farrakhan rally.

There are plenty of them out there so take your time and find one that was taken care of.

Good Luck,
Abe

Hi, first post here. Getting a Vmax soon, looking around for a used one. Any problem areas to be aware of and is any one year better than another? Looking at an 86 next week, thats the only local one, and might travel next weekend to look at a few more. BTW I'm been hot rodding/drag racing cars since the mid 80's so mechanical stuff is nothing new to me. Havn't had a bike for a few yars and am itcing to get one. If I can't find a suitable Vmax i migh got ZRX1200.

Hi Evil and welcome to the site..

If you like drag racing than the VMAX is the ONLY bike for you! The VMAX is the king for taking off. If you like muscle cars rather than souped up 4 bangers than the VMAX is for you! If the sound of open headers gets your blood flowing than the VMAX is for you! If you like dragging your leg through turns on the back roads than the VMAX ISNT for you.
I have a love hate relationship for my VMAX. There are days I am proud to ride her around and get the looks and listen to the sound of the exhaust, pulling away from stoplights smoking the hell out of the rear tire until I decide to let off the gas.
I ride with a guy that has a ZRX1200 they are neck and neck in performance until we get into turns..
I will whoop the ZRX1200's ass all day long from stop light to stop light. They are a strong running bike as the VMAX is..

But you know when ever we pull up some where,, his bike never gets any attention they all come and look at the VMAX!! The VMAX is loved by everyone that likes motorcycles it will give you a proud feeling that you own one, and last but not least,, This site is the best for knowledge and most guys here are great! As stated MOST........
Dont get a ZRX1200 unless your wife wont allow you to own the Legend..

The 93+ had better forks and brakes. The 96+ had the strongest engine cases (readily id'd by the spin on oil filter). The 99's had the most current trans parts (easily added to the earlier years). Output is virtualy identical for all the years.

Sean

Sean,
What does this "trans part" upgrade they did in '99 consist in?

The shift segment that fastens to end of shift drum was upgraded due to the tabs on the original part bending and allowing the pins to drop into the pan. W/o one or more of these pins you would be unable to shift up or down to a gear....depends on which pins fall out.

Check out this thread for more info including pics on differences between early and late model shift segments.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?p=52835&highlight=shift+shaft#post52835

The biggest improvement was the gear shift segment on the end of the shift drum. Other then that there were some bearing and other minor changes (none worth worrying about).

Sean

'85 VMax - what to look out for:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3410

Hi Evil and welcome to the site..

If you like drag racing than the VMAX is the ONLY bike for you! The VMAX is the king for taking off. If you like muscle cars rather than souped up 4 bangers than the VMAX is for you! If the sound of open headers gets your blood flowing than the VMAX is for you! If you like dragging your leg through turns on the back roads than the VMAX ISNT for you.
I have a love hate relationship for my VMAX. There are days I am proud to ride her around and get the looks and listen to the sound of the exhaust, pulling away from stoplights smoking the hell out of the rear tire until I decide to let off the gas.
I ride with a guy that has a ZRX1200 they are neck and neck in performance until we get into turns..
I will whoop the ZRX1200's ass all day long from stop light to stop light. They are a strong running bike as the VMAX is..

But you know when ever we pull up some where,, his bike never gets any attention they all come and look at the VMAX!! The VMAX is loved by everyone that likes motorcycles it will give you a proud feeling that you own one, and last but not least,, This site is the best for knowledge and most guys here are great! As stated MOST........
Dont get a ZRX1200 unless your wife wont allow you to own the Legend..
Cool, leaning heavily toward the VMax. Wife "let" me, lol.

Buffalo, FZ1 is my third choice if i can't find a Vmax I like.

I might have it sold to someone from the Bronx on monday. He has been emailing me for 3 weeks now. I think he finally robbed a bank.lol. I just want it gone.

Back