Buying a 2018

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeltaz83

Reaction score
So I absolutely fell in love with the last production year v max, the completely blacked out, Raven black. Hopefully I can still find one in April when I finally go to get one. I was just wondering what the break in period is? What kind of warranty there is, if its worth getting an extended warranty if they offer one. What kind of accessories are offered? I do want the factory low profile sissy bar, and wind screen. I would just like to know of anything that might help me out that some of you guys found out hind sight that would have sweetened the deal, or would have done different. Thanks!!!!

Congrats on your wants hope ya get it as far as accessories go short but stops are pretty easy to get and so are windshields/fairings. There's a guy Richard Poroir that is selling a footrests type highway bar for the gen 2 I know he's down to like sets left and might not be making anymore.. As far as warranty I never do get an extended warranty on jap bikes they are pretty much bullet proof .. Join the starvmaxforum.com and read about all that can be done to the bike as an upgrade .. Good luck on purchase

Congrats on your wants hope ya get it as far as accessories go short but stops are pretty easy to get and so are windshields/fairings. There's a guy Richard Poroir that is selling a footrests type highway bar for the gen 2 I know he's down to like sets left and might not be making anymore.. As far as warranty I never do get an extended warranty on jap bikes they are pretty much bullet proof .. Join the starvmaxforum.com and read about all that can be done to the bike as an upgrade .. Good luck on purchase

Sweet, thanks the info. I'll def. Sign up on that forum. I'm not fan of the red, the bluish purple was a nice looking color, but the price was out of reach. But now that I'll have two less car payments this year I'm just saving up for a nice down payment, and I got the OK, from the boss, lol. She's not a fan of the looks of the gen 2, but she didn't like the looks of the 97 i bought, but it grew on her lol. I'm not sure of mods, I'm sure what I want would void warranty. All I want is a complete aftermarket exhaust, and ECU flash.

So I absolutely fell in love with the last production year v max, the completely blacked out, Raven black. Hopefully I can still find one in April when I finally go to get one. I was just wondering what the break in period is? What kind of warranty there is, if its worth getting an extended warranty if they offer one. What kind of accessories are offered? I do want the factory low profile sissy bar, and wind screen. I would just like to know of anything that might help me out that some of you guys found out hind sight that would have sweetened the deal, or would have done different. Thanks!!!!

I personally wouldn't bother with the extended warranty, the bike is not known to break....even when ridden hard. There were a few people that had fork seals replaced .....but most of those were early failures I believe. The one person I know that took advantage of the extended warranty had 60 K miles on his bike and it wasn't a major repair.

Break in period is 600 miles....after that I would suggest switching to synthetic oil.

As far as "sweetening" the deal.....don't pay list price. When I bought mine I negotiated pretty hard and I know some people payed $2500 more than I did.
That $2500 can buy a lot of accessories!

Mark

I was just at the official Yamaha site looking, not much for accessories. I'd the wide wheel kit worth the price?? The wheel was $880, I'd imagine you would need the bearing kit, another $90 plus a tire so I'm guessing about $1,000 maybe more. Plus the low pro passenger butt catcher $350 and the wind screen I forget what that was. Do you think the dealer would give me what parts come off?? I'd let them keep them if they knock the price down, otherwise I want what I payed for.

Just an FYI, I recently purchased a black 2018 and the dealer told me a tuned ecu, exhaust, and intake would NOT void the extended 5 year warranty.

Just an FYI, I recently purchased a black 2018 and the dealer told me a tuned ecu, exhaust, and intake would NOT void the extended 5 year warranty.

Really?? :punk: Sweet. I'll ask just to see what I get told. What's the extended warranty run? I've read that it's kinda a waste of money, bit of its not that much more I think I'd rather have it, just on case. Aftermarket parts are expensive, so I can just imagine OEM parts. If it's anything like automobiles.

I would not trust that the warranty would not be void unless you have it in writing. Good luck with that hope you get it. if you are set on a 2018 black out thats cool but you can save a ton of money on a used bike if you shop smart. If you take your time you might even find one with the add-ons you want and save even more money. I'm talking like $8000 on a super low mile bike. 3000 to 5000 miles on the bike with add-ons. I wanted a gen 2 vmax this time and i found a red 2010 red with add-ons with 9700 miles for $9700 out the door. and a blue one mo add-ons 3000 miles for $11200 out the door both bikes at dealer. But than a sale man showed me a candy lime green 2015 kawasaki concoure still new in the box no miles with 3 year warranty for $12800 out the door tax title plate and all so i gave up the gen 2 vmax and got a concours. I do want a gen 2 vmax and i know if i make it to thunder this year i will be a little jealous that im not on one but that will be the only time. the rest of the time i will be more happy with a concours 14. Just my opinion and my point is no matter what take your time. I do agree the black out is cool. I wish you the best on a great deal .

I would not trust that the warranty would not be void unless you have it in writing. Good luck with that hope you get it. if you are set on a 2018 black out thats cool but you can save a ton of money on a used bike if you shop smart. If you take your time you might even find one with the add-ons you want and save even more money. I'm talking like $8000 on a super low mile bike. 3000 to 5000 miles on the bike with add-ons. I wanted a gen 2 vmax this time and i found a red 2010 red with add-ons with 9700 miles for $9700 out the door. and a blue one mo add-ons 3000 miles for $11200 out the door both bikes at dealer. But than a sale man showed me a candy lime green 2015 kawasaki concoure still new in the box no miles with 3 year warranty for $12800 out the door tax title plate and all so i gave up the gen 2 vmax and got a concours. I do want a gen 2 vmax and i know if i make it to thunder this year i will be a little jealous that im not on one but that will be the only time. the rest of the time i will be more happy with a concours 14. Just my opinion and my point is no matter what take your time. I do agree the black out is cool. I wish you the best on a great deal .

My heart is kinda set on a 2018. The last year of production, all blacked out. I could get it cheaper buying used, but if I ever get a brand new bike this is the one. I'm really not a fan of the red. Blue, black, silver, gray are about the only colors I like on the v max. I'll be the first owner, first person to put the first mile on it. I may be crazy, lol. Everything I've found so far for 200 miles for a 2018 is starting $17,999. I still got some time, I'm not rushing out tomorrow to buy it. But I do want the low profile butt catcher. I found maybe 2 or 3 used ones within a 150 mile search of around where I live. All between $10,000 to $8,000. Private sellers. I found two first gens at two different dealers both were at $4,000. One looked like it's been there awhile. I haven't seen any second gens around new or used at the dealer's I go to. Well except for the 18, the one dealer I go to has one now. I just stop in to see what they have, they don't touch my bike I do all my own work, same with my vehicles. Only goes to the dealer for recalls.

Sounds like you know what you want for sure. And it sounds like its a new black out. So all you need to do now is beat that sales person up for a good deal. I did not know 2018 is the last year for the gen 2 vmax.

Now knowing this will be the last year for the vmax i am kinda sad i did not buy one when i had the chance to.

Now knowing this will be the last year for the vmax i am kinda sad i did not buy one when i had the chance to.

Yes, same here. I've been looking at cycle trader and there are a few used ones at dealers around me for good prices I think. I think I'll go to maybe three different dealers and see what they will give me. I found some left over 16s for $16,990. Only reason I'm looking at them now, my truck will be paid off this fall. And the wife said yes :clapping: prolly gonna be mid, to late April before I pull the trigger, hopefully they don't all sell out lol.

Sounds like you know what you want for sure. And it sounds like its a new black out. So all you need to do now is beat that sales person up for a good deal. I did not know 2018 is the last year for the gen 2 vmax.

From what I have read, it's because of the stricter emissions in EU. And Yamaha won't do anything to meet those standards. I wish they would keep production, and not ship to EU. But it's all about money, have to sell so many units to make money or its a bust. What do you think of the eluder? Not sure if that replaced the max, or if they were planning on releasing it regardless of the v-max future. I like it in black, but I don't like the price. I'll just go with the max.

Well new 2018 is ordered and on its way as we speak. Went to the dealer Tuesday and did the financial. My 97 sold Sunday for $3,000, exactly what I wanted for it. First guy to look at it, bought it. Got a call Wednesday saying they ordered it, and would follow up with me as it gets closer. Not really excited yet, so the waiting isn't really a big issue until I get the call it's in and see it then I'm sure I'll be like a kid in a candy store lol. Just doesn't feel real, been wanting one since 09. Glad I waited, not a big fan of chrome or polished aluminum, or "red".

rebeltaz83 you need to take it to Thunder this year. And do exhaust before you get there.:punk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLxFvCfbkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohQvl-OBqms

Nice, I think the voodoo sounded best, atleast on my phone lol. Gotta wait till next year before I can do any mods, prolly do exhaust and Nash flash at the same time. Get it broke in, all maintenance done, then comes modding lol. I would like to attend one of the v max events. I heard there is one in PA, I used to live in NY, finger lakes region.

PA is thunder you should go this year. Its a'lot of fun. I have been a few time's and me and a few guy's will be there this year. Its a hot rod bike bash at the days inn sumerset pa. the vmax group gets the back parking lot. Its the best way to pick what you would like to do to your bike. So many Vmax's to look at and you get to hear all the different exhaust in person. Also get to go on some cool rides in the area.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=45948

PA is thunder you should go this year. Its a'lot of fun. I have been a few time's and me and a few guy's will be there this year. Its a hot rod bike bash at the days inn sumerset pa. the vmax group gets the back parking lot. Its the best way to pick what you would like to do to your bike. So many Vmax's to look at and you get to hear all the different exhaust in person. Also get to go on some cool rides in the area.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=45948
I'd like to, maybe next year though, all my vacation days are planned out pretty much. If I still lived up that way I'd do a day ride around the finger lakes and some of the valleys, stop at a few state parks for some scenery. I used to go ride solo for over 300 miles just going around the finger lakes and nearby region. Used to plan my ride by gas stations lol. Be around 100 miles everytime I stopped to fill up.

Latest posts

Back