buying a max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyattskeeter

Reaction score
Just a question for some advice. I have a guy by me selling a 89 vmax. He was going to part it out but i asked if he had the title and he said yes.So long story short is I can make a offer on the whole bike. The bike doesnt run. He claims the wiring harness is melted due to the stator failing? Needs a harness, stator, front tire , front forks rebuilt, right side scoop,and thats about it !!!!?? I sont know what to offer. He said it has a new gas tank installed, new stage 7 jet kit?, and kerker exhaust. I just want a general idea of with the risk factor involved and all considered what is the high side of a fair offer? I dont want to get hurt but want to be decent.

I would say 800 to 1200. Thats because you DONT know if there are 2nd gear issues. If there are, it will cost more than the bike is worth to get fixed. A good used engine you can pick up for 800-1000 dollars, and thats ones that you know that 2nd gear is good.

I bought one with the same issue with the wiring. Unfortunately this was not revealed to me prior to purchase.I was told the bike ran great before it was taken apart (it was in 5 boxes).

When the charging system melted down it took with it the following,stator,reg/rect.,harness,ignition control. Although I can't factually connect the following parts..right side handlebar control,v-boost control and tach they also were burned up. My harness had melted and fused together sending power everywhere randomly burning things up Including every bulb on the bike.

On the bright side I've only got a little more into it than it's worth and it's still needs paint.

I'm w/The Beekeeper, that's a $500-600 bike, tops, if he thinks he can get more parting it out, someone's gonna be gullible-enough to buy the engine, not knowing if 2nd gear is OK? I don't think a knowlegable buyer would give him that for the engine not knowing that it didn't have a 2nd gear issue.

That's the old-style ignition, the smaller-dia. front end downtubes, the single-opposed piston front brakes/small-dia. rotors in front. All things you can live with if you get it for the right price, which I wouldn't pay $700 for in its current condition. You're probably going to have to spend that at a minimum to fix the electrics if everything is toasted, or more. That's on-top of the purchase price, by the way.

On the other hand if you do decide to buy it before I list the rest of this magnificent pile-o-parts. I've got it all except the vboost box 4 cheap.

Don't know how much money you want to spend upfront, but I'm guessing you are buying it to ride it! Unless it's a can't pass it up smokin deal, I would get 1993 or newer and also ready to go. There are quite a few for sale and the way the market is on these right now you can pick up one that's ready to go for fairly cheap.

Ok he wrote me back because i told him i need to know what he was thinking on price. He said 900 minus the gas tank he just put in the frame , the exhaust which is kerker and no jet kit. So now the bike needs...new wiring harness, right side scoop,front forks rebuilt,stater,front tire,no way to tell if trans is good other than his word and no way to tell if motor runs other than his word. Bike has 7000 miles on it . How does a 7000 mile bike get to be a pile of parts? I want another vmax as i really miss riding but god i dont think 900 is reasonable with him taking even more parts out of the bike and the not knowing.

Tb99 max . What is fairly cheap for one ready to go? And what makes the 93 and up better. I had a a 95 with all goodies from ufo performance on it . Flat slides, direct in air, lowered, shift light, carbon fiber body kit, ufo performance exhaust, ufo billet rims, clear clutch cover, ufo seat, polished everything. I got that bike for 4500 because it had been droped at one time somewhere, sometime and had a rebuilt title but coulfd never tell and the owner needed money. I sold it to save my house when i wasnt working . Now i need a bike as cheap as possible and build may way back up. Also where are good places to look for a max? I am in illinois and the ones on craigslsit are 3500 to 5500 all day long stock.

First off, what's your budget? In my opinion $3-$4k is pretty cheap. If you are looking to only spend $2k or less then yes it's going to probably need some work. Captainkyle was selling a super clean looking 2005 a few months ago,don't know if he still has it or not. He was asking $4k but it's a 2005 20yr anniversary edition and very nice. I'm sure everyone on this forum will agree the market for vmax's is a buyers market. Most people want or list their bike for more than they are actually going to sell it for! Don't insult someone with your offer but definitely negotiate!
93 and newer have a different front end (larger diameter fork tubes). And I believe better brakes. I'm sure other guys on here can tell you all the differences.

From D-Max2012's posts, the St Louis bike is cheap, and may be the one for you in a low cash state, a bit of a gamble. Sounds like a good carb cleaning will have that going. No guarantees. 51K miles.

The WI bike has a lot of stuff, & low mi. This time of year, money talks. I would wait to get some more $ to put towards a bike needing very little, people on here have decent bikes frequently, but they may not be close to you.

Tb99 max . What is fairly cheap for one ready to go? And what makes the 93 and up better. I had a a 95 with all goodies from ufo performance on it . Flat slides, direct in air, lowered, shift light, carbon fiber body kit, ufo performance exhaust, ufo billet rims, clear clutch cover, ufo seat, polished everything. I got that bike for 4500 because it had been droped at one time somewhere, sometime and had a rebuilt title but coulfd never tell and the owner needed money. I sold it to save my house when i wasnt working . Now i need a bike as cheap as possible and build may way back up. Also where are good places to look for a max? I am in illinois and the ones on craigslsit are 3500 to 5500 all day long stock.
Have you looked at Dannymax's '85?
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=40798

Back