buying an 86 with spun rod bearing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTAmoneypit

Reaction score
Price is too good to pass up

Engine is removed and in pieces

Even if i only use it as a parts bike its well worth the $1000 I'm paying for it

I'd say to fix it up or to part it out $1000 is really at the upper end.

i'm not an engine rebuilder but I think once a bearing spins you usually have case damage.

not to mention the trans might be shot too

or other unknown damage

i'd look at it like a rolling chasis until proven otherwise

the old forks don't go for much so you really have wheels, swingarm, frame, which $1000 is a lot to pay for

just my $.02

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/mcy/2976105976.html

I bought an '86 (non-running) with missing body work and a Venture engine (no idea in which state) for $650.

By the time I sold most of the parts (and still had some left over) I'd got well over $2000, and that was including a lot of 'mate's prices' to VMF users here.

So even at $1000 (but I'd offer less) it's still a decent deal if you have the time to part it out, get the parts on fleaBay etc..

Oh, and I gave the Venture motor away to CaptainKyle too, so no money there, although I did sell carbs and vboost separately!

If you do want it up and running again I do have some good used engines. We would also consider some core credit for some of the usable parts on your current engine.

Sean

i got it

the spun bearing was on 1 of the rod ends and spun around the crank

can the crank be resurfaced ?

there are already parts that i want to put on my 95 mini windscreen, passenger backrest

also this 86 is black can i swap the parts over to my 95? my 95 is red and i dont really care for red

who knows maybe it will turn into a winter project

i would do a deal and give up this 86 for a good deal on building up a 1500 or 1300 for my 95 i'll admit i did not do a lot of research on what i can do to my 95 it has UFU full exhaust a K&N filter vboost switch and the carb was tuned with a 7 stage kit but i want more power :biglaugh:

the 86 was an impulse buy and a divorce present to myself---divorced as of 4-20-12 i kept the house and everything in it--i refinanced to get her name off the loan and now she is buying a house my 12 yr old son is staying with me and our 15 yr old daughter is going with her----and she will be paying me $500/mo child support

Check the cases for the crank thrust surface. most of the time that surface gets damaged and is difficult and expensive to repair. If it's good a used crank and either new or used rods would be much cheaper then fixing that crank. We can do both just wanting you to know your options.

A good used engine is still cheaper in the long run.

Sean

Latest posts

Back