Buying Gen2 Vmax advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarioRRR

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new member coming from Yamaha FJR and a Harley Fat Bob.
I am planning to get Vmax since this was always my dream bike.
I have a two options: buy brand new from the dealer (which gonna bring the total cost up or find used one).
I found one 2009 model with only 1800km on the ODO however I have a few concerns:
1. I heard that 2009 model since they were first productions, they had some issues
2. Buying 11 years old bike will bring some unexpected issues down the road.
3. Asking price is pretty high. What would the fair/suggested price to pay for it?
3. Better to look for younger models? In my area all of them have 15-30 thousand km already which is not end of the world however lower is always better in my opinion.

Any feedback will be appreiciated. Thank you

you can get them new at a pretty good discount to be honest. these bikes do NOT move. its a very niche bike.
2009 early on did have an issue with how they routed the wire harness that could cause issues. there was a recall to reroute this but its a gamble on if it ever got done.
1. 2009s also Yamaha found out that if u went full throttle on the autobahn for miles and miles itd cause the oil pump to fail. Tons of vmaxes got destroyed/damaged due to dealers not meshing oil pump gears correctly upon reassembly. Even after an emergency tech bulletin was posted to point out the issue, dealers were still messing it up.
2. cheaper insurance,cheaper plates, mine just feels like it needs new clutch fluid soon I have to pull the clutch literally all the way to my bar now to get it to fully disengage.
3. used? 8-9k prolly fair for an 09 regardless of mods. some early mods were never available again like the legit Xpipe and some other rare parts that vmaxforum members did. I do think you can get a new bike for 15k and that betch is YOURS. It will always be special and feel like it was YOURS.
3.3 every bike feels a little clunkier with age, shifting, levers, throttle being sticky feeling, stripped out bolts, missing bolts, etc. You get a lower price but that is some of what you're gonna deal with

There were a few messed up by dealers and recalls but far from a lot.
New is still going to be $16500-$16700 (barely above dealers actual cost).
Used I would agree is in the $8-$9k for the average with some lower then that if it's high mileage

Overall the gen 2's are reasonably bulletproof

you can get them new at a pretty good discount to be honest. these bikes do NOT move. its a very niche bike.
2009 early on did have an issue with how they routed the wire harness that could cause issues. there was a recall to reroute this but its a gamble on if it ever got done.
1. 2009s also Yamaha found out that if u went full throttle on the autobahn for miles and miles itd cause the oil pump to fail. Tons of vmaxes got destroyed/damaged due to dealers not meshing oil pump gears correctly upon reassembly. Even after an emergency tech bulletin was posted to point out the issue, dealers were still messing it up.
2. cheaper insurance,cheaper plates, mine just feels like it needs new clutch fluid soon I have to pull the clutch literally all the way to my bar now to get it to fully disengage.
3. used? 8-9k prolly fair for an 09 regardless of mods. some early mods were never available again like the legit Xpipe and some other rare parts that vmaxforum members did. I do think you can get a new bike for 15k and that betch is YOURS. It will always be special and feel like it was YOURS.
3.3 every bike feels a little clunkier with age, shifting, levers, throttle being sticky feeling, stripped out bolts, missing bolts, etc. You get a lower price but that is some of what you're gonna deal with

Thanks for information.
In my area is almost impossible to find anything lower than 11k for gen2 models, doesn’t matter low or higher mileage.
It will probably come to overall condition and maintenance by previous owner.
If I won’t find anything decent than I will end up with new from the dealer.

It will probably come to overall condition and maintenance by previous owner.
If I won’t find anything decent than I will end up with new from the dealer.

Yes, it's pretty easy to tell how an owner cared for their bike if you look at it closely.

I would never hesitate to buy a used Gen 2 if it has been cared for even if it has high mileage.... if it's been kept nice. The drivetrains are pretty bullet proof.

Last edited:
Yes, it's pretty easy to tell how an owner cared for their bike if you look at it closely.

I would never hesitate to buy a used Gen 2 if it has been cared for even if it has high mileage.... if it's been kept nice. The drivetrains are pretty bullet proof.

Is any year of gen2 better than others except color and recalls?
Recalls can be done at the dealer at no cost so I am not worry about it.
I found a couple of 2009 close to my location that are in decent shape and pretty low miles.
They bone stock as well.

Is any year of gen2 better than others except color and recalls?
Recalls can be done at the dealer at no cost so I am not worry about it.
I found a couple of 2009 close to my location that are in decent shape and pretty low miles.
They bone stock as well.

Nope, just color.

Hello,

I am a new member coming from Yamaha FJR and a Harley Fat Bob.
I am planning to get Vmax since this was always my dream bike.
I have a two options: buy brand new from the dealer (which gonna bring the total cost up or find used one).
I found one 2009 model with only 1800km on the ODO however I have a few concerns:
1. I heard that 2009 model since they were first productions, they had some issues
2. Buying 11 years old bike will bring some unexpected issues down the road.
3. Asking price is pretty high. What would the fair/suggested price to pay for it?
3. Better to look for younger models? In my area all of them have 15-30 thousand km already which is not end of the world however lower is always better in my opinion.

Any feedback will be appreiciated. Thank you

i payed 9,000 for my 2012 w 1200 mi on it. And still riding like I stole it. Lol
I try to make a habit of buying things cosmetically excellent (like it was taken care of) and from older ppl that respect their shit. Far as I know all bugs were worked out in 2011.

Lower mileage is preferable buying used but very low mileage combined with many years sitting around is not ideal since neglect can be an issue. Decent mileage in correlation with the age of the bike if it's loved on a bike like a Vmax shouldn't be cause for concern.

With the economy the way it is and if you have cash$ there are and will be great deals to be had, good luck.

No there is no difference from an 09 to a 2020. Only color. Yamaha did their homework on it back in 2006 when they knew it was time to change and upgrade the new model. I've had mine, coming up on 80,000 miles and I've only HAR to change the starter motor. The valves were adjusted but again I stress they didn't have to be. They were all within Yamaha specs at 70,000 miles. Yamaha is one of the few companies that have a great valve trane. Even my 1985 Vmax and which I sold with 172000 miles on it never had valve issues or any issues for that matter other than the normal lack of charging in which every first generation Vmax experiences. So now I agree with everyone above you cannot go wrong with a generation too if someone took care of it. And even then these things are bulletproof.

Lower mileage is preferable buying used but very low mileage combined with many years sitting around is not ideal since neglect can be an issue. Decent mileage in correlation with the age of the bike if it's loved on a bike like a Vmax shouldn't be cause for concern.

I agree. Low milage always have some prons/cons.

Paid last week $9000 including taxes , transfer , new tag , new tires , on pristine bike with cat delete , 14000 miles , just for reference, I think I got a decent deal ,
Clutch was slipping do took it back and dealer installing new clutch free of charge ,I will add DD mod to it ... hope this helps , good luck . And yes now it’s the time to buy ... I also have a Big Dog Ridgeback 330 , my wife said , why 2 bikes ? Said because I love it ...

With the economy the way it is and if you have cash$ there are and will be great deals to be had, good luck.

I saw alrady a few bikes and everyone is still holding prices before actual spring/summer come.
They will probably drop down later on, July/Aug.

So far best deal I found:
1. 2009 with 1000miles for $8k USD. Black color. Stock. Recalls to be done as per VIN. Needs new tires due to age, fluids, battery, etc.
2. 2011 with 200 miles for $12k USD. Grey color. Stock. Needs new tires due to age, fluids, battery, etc.

Everything else is higher milage and avreage condition which I am not interested.

Paid last week $9000 including taxes , transfer , new tag , new tires , on pristine bike with cat delete , 14000 miles , just for reference, I think I got a decent deal ,
Clutch was slipping do took it back and dealer installing new clutch free of charge ,I will add DD mod to it ... hope this helps , good luck . And yes now it’s the time to buy ... I also have a Big Dog Ridgeback 330 , my wife said , why 2 bikes ? Said because I love it ...

What year did you get?

200 miles on a 9 year old bike? That's one lazy Sunday afternoon for most. Must be nice to not worry too much wether or not to sell something you don't ride. I couldn't justify having a bike this expensive just sitting under dust.

200 miles on a 9 year old bike? That's one lazy Sunday afternoon for most. Must be nice to not worry too much wether or not to sell something you don't ride. I couldn't justify having a bike this expensive just sitting under dust.

Looks like guy has multiple different bikes and just keeping them at the garage.

Wow, bike looks new! Congrats!

Give us your impressions after a few rides.

Latest posts

Back