Buying hand grips from ebay

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabit1

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to buy this hand grip from ebay for my 92 Vmax:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Non-slip...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8d057119

But I'm rather confused because the (seemingly) same item from other seller. Or at least it looks like the same item is described as not compatible with 92 Vmax.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-1-HA...s=Model:Vmax+1200&hash=item53ffbaa669&vxp=mtr

Both sellers describe the products as 1" handle bar grip. As far as I know, vmax doesn't use 1" handle bar, but I'm not sure.

What do you guys think with the first seller. Is he dishonest?

Thank you,
Regards,
TKart

The VMax handlebars are 7/8" in diameter, so unless you have an aftermarket 1" diameter handlebar setup, the grip WILL NOT FIT the VMax. These sellers are WRONG!

All the Maxes I've seen are with 7/8" bars.

Hope that helps! (p.s. I love the Renthal grips....very grippy!)

Good luck.

Elimax

Thank you Elimax. The seller do admit after being confronted that this handle indeed does not fit.

Fortunately I haven't sent the payment.

Thanks.

Yup, sometimes those sellers can be real dirty birdies! Glad you didn't buy 'em.

Elimax

I've seen vmax using that style of handle bar. I wonder where he got it from.

Yes, we sell the Kuryakyn grips for $67 (I know I have a few sets of the black ISO on hand).

You want number 6241 (which is what I have been selling my vmax customers) or the black equivalent. I prefer the flame version personally when using them since it's a flatter profile (not because of the flames). My personal bike I run the Driven Racing D3 grips we sell. Smaller diameter grip made of Kraton gel with aluminum inserts.

I've had both the Kury's and now the D3's. I much prefer the D3's myself as the Kury's are quite a large grip, although, I have large hands. I still prefer the D3's, also, because of the colour selection. Its a very different feeling, which I now prefer, having smaller grips. Always email the vendors on the VMF, often, they can beat or match other sources for cost. You'll never have a problem returning something plus you help keep the VMF Brotherhood alive..

Plus the D3's are anodized. And nothing beats the depth of color than Billet that's raw, or often even better, anodized. Which the Driven Grips AND Bar Ends are.

Attachments

• 20140616_214030.jpg
    20140616_214030.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 27
I have rizoma grips, they are small dia grips too and some kind of throttle boss would be great on longer trips, my throttlehand gets pretty tired with these. Fatter grips might be better, cruise control would be the best. But if you line narrow grips these are good option too, very well made quality grips.

http://www.rizoma.com/universal/grips/gr205-sport-line/en

Part of my previous post was ordering from VMF Vendors...Those Rizoma are real nice, but I'd rather keep the price down a bit and go with the D3's. Practically the same product. Might as well keep the max community alive and order from our Vendors.

I try to link always to manufacturer sites to get best info out there, not to buy from there. Everyone should always contact this sites vendors first, I have bought bits from Sean few times and service has always been better than anywhere else. I have a package from Sean in customs as we speak, actually.

Thank you guys...

Is there anything else, other than 7/8" diameter, that I should look for in buying a grip for my vmax 1200? Would any 7/8" always fit my Vmax?

Regards,

*EDIT*

So I tried to buy another pair. This time it's a 7/8" diameter. But, this time when I ask if they will fit, the seller ask me back whether my bike uses a cable throttle or a wire throttle. He said it's only for cable throttle not for wire throttle.

That got me confused, because I think Vmax uses cable throttle, but
I honestly don't know the answer to that. Appreciate if someone can help.

Thank you again,
Regards,

Last edited:
I'm confused now because I found a pair of 7/8" on ebay that say they won't fit Vmax.

However, I also find another pair with 7/8" for the left, and 1" for the right hand side that says will fit a vmax.

Does 1996 vmax 1200 use different diameter for left and right?

The right grip will always be bigger because of the throttle tube. 7/8 grips for a motorcycle will fit the vmax with stock tripple trees and yes the left will be 7/8 and the right will be 1 inch. I have bought several pairs of grips from ebay and Amazon with no issues.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

Latest posts

Back