Calculating spark voltage and adjusting gap for COP.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Gannon was selling the COP's he built, he included directions for gap reduction.

theory:
Voltage is related to resistance of primary/secondary coils.
That's actually wrong.
The coil is effectively a transformer so the voltage relationship is determined by the number of turns on the primary and secondary coils.

The resistance is an after effect and depends on the the cross section and length of the wire and its conductivity.

If you wanted to, you could make the resistance much less by using a thicker wire (increase in cross section) but then you end up with a coil the size of a bucket!!?!?

And it gets more complicated as the time taken for the current to build in the coil is a function of its inductance, the final steady state current depends on the coils resistance, and the current determines the power of the spark.

Regarding regapping the spark plugs, I would suggest looking at what the manufacturer recommends for the particular COP.

I just gap my plugs to factory spec, and have been using COPS for years with no problem.

I guess so, sorry. Moderators, please delete the thread
I don't think it should be removed? There was a thought, discussion, learning....definitely can be used by others who view this thread.

I guess so, sorry. Moderators, please delete the thread
I completely agree with maleko89 above, quote 'I don't think it should be removed'

There are many studies done in industry that come to conclusions that they are incorrect. This information is in many cases is more important than the correct eventual conclusion as it shows avenues not to consider if the subject is re-visited, and the proof that goes with it.

Back