California Gen 1 problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rajacic

Reaction score
My 1993 California model GEN 1 VMAX has run great for over a year but now has the dreaded no start issue. New fully charged battery. Key ignition turns on the headlight, taillight and neutral light. If I jump the starter main solenoid next to the battery or the two leads to the relay the starter engages. If I press the starter button the headlight goes off but no starter motor. I have a green neutral light pulled in the clutch and cleaned the connection on the side stand switch. My problem is the only wiring diagrams on the forum or in the manual do not match my bike. All references to the starter circuit cutoff relay show 4 wires. My SCCR under the left scoop has wiring that doesn't match the manual or wiring diagrams (see pictures). Where can I get a CA wiring diagram and a manual that can tell me how to trouble shoot electrical parts? Am I looking at the wrong part? I looked but cannot find a black box with 4 wires that match the wiring diagram. Also while cleaning the start switch button the small return spring inside broke - where can I buy a new or used spring without buying an entire new switch assy?

vmax.jpgvmax 2.jpgvmax 3.jpg

<EDIT> Oops. I didn't read closely enough. Looks like it's time to start tracing wiring between clutch switch, sidest and switch and kill switch.

That is one of my problems. My manual and electrical diagram do not seem to replicate my VMAX.

Use a spring from a ballpoint pen, cut to length. Be sure it pushes-out w/enough force to disengage the contacts.

Latest posts

Back