caliper adapter for 320mm rotor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g2501

Reaction score
a couple of years ago I had to completely rebuild the front braking system, so I swapped the original master cylinder for a brembo RCS , upraded to braided lines and add couple of FZ1 calipers that fit perfectly on my bike ( a 1gen max '96).
I had a little accident with the original config ( the front brake activated itself without any warning....) After that ,for what I've seen seems that the original rotor are in good shape. thickes is still more than 5mm ,but I suspect that due to the stress induced with the issue the rotors are a bit "warped" ( ...I hear a noise like "chh-chh-chh" during the braking).
So, it's been some months that I' seaching for a couple of good rotors , and I would like to go with the galfer wave because I already have the rear wave rotor from them.
Since the price for the 298 mm and 320mm are the same I would like to use bigger rotor for both performance and aestetich reasons.
I do not plan to swap the FZ1 calipers for 3 pot hayabusa because here in Italy they're too expensive ,and for the same price I can have a couple of used brembo calipers.
Also , I read on a suzuki forum that these guys are not so happy with the 3 pots calipers and most of them swap to r1 calipers.
They say that r1 calipers are more stiffer due to the monoblock construction, and even less aggresive to rotors . Some of them also state that often the 3 pot calipers tend to warp the rotors.
I'm not a mechanic, so I cannot tell you why they wrote this , I can give you reference of the thread If I manage to find it again.
Aniway, To use the 320mm with the FZ1/r1/original calipers I will need an adapter / spacer.
I sent a mail to Sean but unfortunately he doesn't make this kind of adapter because the r1 calipers does not give a substantial improvement like the hayabusa calipers, so he didn't mind to make one.
other custom part dealers sold them but with a price not in my budget.
For the same price they ask for these kind of adapters I can purchase used brembo calipers and adapters....
My only choice is to build them by myself , but here comes the trouble.
I've taken some measurements , and make a simple 3D model , but seems that there is no way to make a "linear" adapter, this because the original fork hole and the adapter hole are too near.

Specs are :
distance between holes : 10cm
thickness of the original bracket : 12mm
diam. of the original bracket 22mm
Rake angle is standard 29 degrees

If I have to move the holes 1cm outside to fit the 320mm rotor I have no choice but to lower down the adapter holes, but this will lead to a disalignment .
Can you suggest me a way to take correct measurement without purchasing the new rotors and mounting them?
My goal is to collect all the parts that I need and then put them on the bike as fast as I can.
I don't want to put again my bike on rest for another 2 or 3 months...

Latest posts

Back