Caliper upgrades

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
What do you folks think is the most cost and time efficient caliper upgrade for the later years Max (2001 in my case)? Is there anything that will bolt right up without an adapter? I don't care for the underpowered front brakes, but I don't want to break the bank either.

r1/r6 (non radial mount) calipers will bolt right up. There are some euro 6 piston calipers that bolt up but don't remember the bike they are taken from. FJR masters will give increased braking leverage.

Sean

What do you folks think is the most cost and time efficient caliper upgrade for the later years Max (2001 in my case)? Is there anything that will bolt right up without an adapter? I don't care for the underpowered front brakes, but I don't want to break the bank either.

I have all stock brakes on my Vmax and they are anything but weak.

Have you upgraded to the EBC HH pads and installed braided lines?

I did all this with only 150 miles on the clock.

Do that bed the brakes in and tell me what you think. Stiffening up the front end doesn't hurt either.

Chris

I agree with chris.

I put on the r1 calipers and fjr master, they didnt feel any better than stock. also have pregressive springs.

Have a friend, he did the same as me, no improvement. He said the new set up almost felt worse.

I bought a 2nd vmax, one with braided lines, HH pads and progressive springs, stock master and calipers. These brakes were much better than the r1caliper/fjr master conversion I did.

I have all stock brakes on my Vmax and they are anything but weak.

Have you upgraded to the EBC HH pads and installed braided lines?

I did all this with only 150 miles on the clock.

Do that bed the brakes in and tell me what you think. Stiffening up the front end doesn't hurt either.

Chris

Like Chris said, the HH pads are a major upgrade in braking. The pads gave me more powerful and better feel at the lever, plus the material is less abrasive to your rotors. A great low cost upgrade that should be your first move no matter what year your Vmax is.
I'm adding galfer SS lines and wavy disc's so I should have even better braking over last year. I have R6 calipers but bought the wrong adapters for them so the blue dot upgrade will have to wait a while. The pre '93 brakes get the most improvement when adding the FJR masters and R1/R6 calipers so that's what I'm working towards.

Back