Calling card to mask caller ID? VOIP

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
Normally I can answer stupid questions like this with a simple Google search, but not so much this time. I still have a landline (Ooma VOIP), I'm in a valley with no signal. I wish to keep certain businesses from seeing my real number. I know that *67 wont work when calling toll free numbers, it can then be abused by said businesses. I've had to change my number very recently over the increasing scam/spam calls and I would like know how to effectively mask my number when calling a business or toll free.

Will using a traditional calling card work for this or will my real number still show up? If not what else can I do besides Google voice or something like that. I need a simple effective solution and an old school calling card is all I could think of. Not trying to spoof or deceive, just effectively block it from being seen.

If anyone knows a simple way to do this I'm all ears.
Thanks gents!

Did you see this on the web?

"...To permanently block caller-ID on all outgoing calls, visit the Ooma Lounge online to change your preferences..."

I just logged into my account, went to the preferences gear icon, clicked on "privacy" and at the top there is a check box that reads:

"Block display of my caller-ID"

We bought an Ooma box six years ago and dropped Verizon's $75 a month charges. Now I pay around 3 bucks a month due for the mandated "fees"

I love it so far, its super cheap. I dont want to block it all the time, when I call friends, family or a local seller I need it to show. I dont think anyone in the world answers blocked callers anymore. I just want to block it selectively when making calls to businesses.

I never thought about that. My internet connection is tragically slow out here. I've heard of it but never used it before. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

I personally use Google voice with an Obihai box for a 100% free solution have acquiring the hardware (~$50). Also with Google voice you can block out going caller ID across the board or selectively if you like.

I just had a brilliant idea, I'm going to have the wife install Skype on the tablet when she gets back tonight. I should be able to make calls that way and save the Ooma for friends and family. I know she uses skype occasionally for talking to her family in the Philippines and it works for that so it should work for this.

I just had a brilliant idea, I'm going to have the wife install Skype on the tablet when she gets back tonight. I should be able to make calls that way and save the Ooma for friends and family. I know she uses skype occasionally for talking to her family in the Philippines and it works for that so it should work for this.

Ive used skype when Ive been overseas. It shows up as a California#.

Back