Cam chain replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharky

Reaction score
Ok...so I'm thinking whilst the motor is out and headless I will replace the camchains...when I bought the bike I got 2 new, in packet Yamaha ones.

I'm thinkin I could leave the motor upside down (on engine stand).
Pop out rivet, add new chain forming one double length chain, flip motor over and feed it round, off crank sprocket. Then remove section of old, rivet back together.
Voila', One new chain fitted without having to rotate crank.
Repeat for other chain.

Or is it easier to do the 'double length' chain bit, flip it right way up and rotate motor to feed chain through :ummm:

You will need to rotate the engine but you can "feed" it through as you mentioned without flipping the engine back and forth.

I wondered if i could let it drop off the sprocket and just feed it round.

You could attach them and feed them around the sprocket I think. I always wondered if that was doable, breaking and reattaching the cam chains on the engine. More on that please Sharky? Pics if you could.

Too easy......
knock out a rivet...connect new...rotate...remove old chain link....new soft link.....dink dink.....done
If ya eyes are not good like mine. ...take a good shot with ya smart phone....enlarge on screen....easy to see if rivet is peened over enough.

Back