Can an 85 become an 07?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm chomping at the bit to buy an older Vmax. First I would like to know if the parts that were updated between 85 and 07 can be easily thrown on an older Vmax that didnt originally have them (eg. front forks, ignition system, brakes, etc).

Also, can the updates that fixed the 2nd gear issues be put in an older bike? I realize this will probably be more difficult than the above updates but can it be done by a professional? I apologize because I can't seem to understand what exactly causes the 2nd gear issue (something to do with pins falling out?).

Basically I dont want to have something go wrong and then be stuck putting in out-dated parts that will fail the same way. My main concern is the 2nd gear issue. It seems as though everything would be able to be swapped but for all I know there was a slight change in the internals and I would have to buy a whole new powertrain to fix 2nd gear slippage.

Any and all help would be appreciated, you guys have been great so far.

Thanks,

Connnor

yup you can upgrade the bike with newer parts. best bet I'd get ahold of sean morley.he can set you up

I wouldn't worry about it. Parts are abundant and cheap for this bike. I have a 86' and I feel like I took it way past an 2007. For the front brake I think the way to go is the Hayabusa 6 piston upgrade. It is documented all over this site.

I rode my 85 to work again today, can lock the brakes in an emergency, and it's still 99.9% OEM, even though I've ridden it hard this past 28+ years. Perhaps the older Maxes are tougher than you've heard?

I say "Bah, humbug" on all the newer, fancy upgrades. LOL

The electronics will be a huge pain. The most effective is to upgrade the starter motor to a 4 - brush. The transmission breaks when the dogs that mate the gears begin to round off instead of keeping their points. That job can be done in your garage if you want, but you'll make a bit of a mess and need to know what you're doing (damon's video will help here). Front end is a direct swap if you use the whole thing. So much of the rest is the same, I'm not sure it's cost effective.

Short answer= yes

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Buy the best deal you can find (I have a 98 with 15k miles and a bad engine if you want a project to build up). Year does not concern me at all and any shortcomings form any of the years are easily upgraded. No specific year is immune to the trans problems. It all depends on how it was ridden.

Sean

Yeah Sean already said what I know. If you get an 07 motor, (yes a got a low mileage one in my garage from Kyle!), there is nothing that cannot be thrown onto the 85 frame. With the new motor you get all the upgrades. Throw on post 93 forks on it and mechanically you have an 07. I don't see exactly what you are getting at but if you just want a new heart in an old body, that's a lot of work when there are good deals on post 96 bikes that have every upgrade.
I suppose if you are like me and have several complete project Vmaxes awaiting attention, nothing wrong converting but it will start getting cost prohibitive if you have to start buying parts piecemeal. I have #136 and only the original motor was ever gonna go back in it but if you got the time, skill and cash, I'd love to see it done and know people here are willing to help with knowledge and parts. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back