Can Anyone Explain This?!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstyn8

Reaction score
So I installed a bigger battery the diehard one from sears that sean recomended in the battery upgrade thread. Then I installed the R1 R/R and now when the RR is connected to the battery I get 12 volts at the battery but when I disconnect the RR and check voltage at the terminal that is suppose to be connected to the battery I get about 15volts. Does anyone know what could cause this?

I have the 3 stator wires hooked up to the RR then the +and - hooked directly to the battery straight off the RR no fuses or anything between them.

Did you solder the wires together, or use crimp connectors ?
Also, how is your battery ground cable ?

I haven't soldered anything yet I wanted to test it before I put everything in permenatly. That shouldn't matter much though. I get 15 volts when the connection is not touching the battery but as soon as I touch the connection to the battery I read whatever the battery is. My battery cable is just grounded to the frame about 3inches or so from the battery. I will take off my batt cable and see how it all looks could that cause the problem though?

So I installed a bigger battery the diehard one from sears that sean recomended in the battery upgrade thread. Then I installed the R1 R/R and now when the RR is connected to the battery I get 12 volts at the battery but when I disconnect the RR and check voltage at the terminal that is suppose to be connected to the battery I get about 15volts. Does anyone know what could cause this?

That would be quite normal if Im geting this clear.

Generator without load will give you more then 14V.

Better do not run long the generator without load, You can easly toast it that way.

Is your battery fully charged ? I'm not quite sure if you have a prob or not. I have the same oversized battery as you. I haven't ridden my bike in 2 days & I just checked the battery voltage before starting - 12.4 volts. I started my bike & with the choke on & idling at approx 1500 rpm my voltage was 14.4 volts. After a few minutes I closed the choke & my voltage was about 12.4 volts at 1000 rpm idle. If I hold the throttle to about 2000 rpm the voltage climbs into the 14's & drops back to the mid- 12's at idle. I have no issues at all when starting my bike, even after sitting for 2 weeks. Are you having starting/charging issues, or are you just wondering if your charging voltage is normal ? From my experience, 12ish volts is normal at 1000 rpm & 14ish is normal at about 2000 rpm. The engine isn't turning fast enough at idle for maximum charging output - that's normal for many vehicles.

My battery is pretty much charged it was brand new and i put the trickle charger on it and charged it up. Ive started it about 10 times since it was charged and I haven't charged it back up but I put the meter on and it reads 12.3 right now. Even when I rev to 4000rpm i go no higher than 12.4. but when I take the connector off of the battery I get 15 volts coming directly from the RR. I can't ride until Tuesday but I will try to take a ride and see if the battery starts to die or not i guess thats the only way i'll be able to tell if its actually holding the charge or not.

Are you sure you are connecting the R/R correctly as in the pic. If yes I have an extra R1 R/R you can use to check yours.

Attachments

• Enlarge photo 9.jpg
    Enlarge photo 9.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 32
Are you sure you are connecting the R/R correctly as in the pic. If yes I have an extra R1 R/R you can use to check yours.

Thats the exact picture I used to hook mine up. Will it hurt anything to swap the + and - and test that?

Well I rode for 80 miles today and as soon as I got home I put a meter on the battery and it read 12.3volts so I started it up and had no problems starting. The meter jumped around while it was running even when I held the revs steady at about 3k it went up and down between 15 and 12 volts. Im guessing that everything is ok now so hopefully it will work. Im not going to put the battery tender on it for a few more rides and see if the battery starts to die or not

Latest posts

Back